Poryg's Introductory Orientation Obstacle Course of Scripting v0.1

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV School' started by Poryg, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As always a short lesson featuring the same obstacles as ever, just refined for this course. However, there are several twists this time, because this lesson serves an the Orientation lesson for Coding department.

What you may notice immediately is a brand new classroom, serving as the main classroom for Coding department. In this classroom Poryg is currently alone (if we exclude that skeleton on the chair), but hopefully the teachers one can meet in the classroom will increase in numbers!
    It is also a different lesson in many other things! Poryg is suddenly only half as cheerful, because this obstacle course jams all T.U.T.O.R. signal, meaning it doesn't matter if the player has it or not.(@Rhino said that the player hadn't had T.U.T.O.R. yet, so I had to play that somehow :D) As a result Poryg had to enter the dungeon in order to stay in touch with player, but he got teleported inside a walls, so he's battling darkness and lack of oxygen.
    Even though this lesson is only introductory, you HAVE to pass it if you wish to gain access to the coding department. If you tried to invade it without Badge of Coddos, you'd have a lot of troubles with Codies, pixies that turn the lifes of programmers into living hell.

Used switches and variables:
    Switches 17,18 for "onPoryg'sCourse" and "finished, 19 and 20 as on map switches, variables 17,18.

Author's notes:
    I know the pictures should have been named ORN, but since Touch has his named TF1, I kept mine named PIOCS for consistency reasons. Or is Touch's T.U.T.O.R. lesson not a part of the Orientation?
    I also included a charset !chest. For some reason the game crashes once I reach the boss. Not sure why, since I don't use this charset at all!
    I included a backup of JS 1.5 files inside js folder, because I use MV 1.6.0.

Download here

2. Rhino

Rhino ~Inactive~ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This was really nice! I thought it was very encouraging and made coding seem a little less scary. :guffaw:

The department classroom is cool, and I like the pool of darkness~ I didn't notice any bugs, and we get to talk to the ninja this time which is neat haha. I think since this is the 'first time' through the course, it might be helpful to have an instruction at the end to use the portal to leave, in case it's not obvious to everyone.

I do think the Badge of Coddos might want to be an actual item as it's used outside the obstacle course, that way the player has gained something cool and other teachers/future lessons can incorporate the Codies into their stories if they'd like!

The TF1 lesson is has been replaced by the generator lesson for the orientation, it'll be coming after the student has been to all of the departments so they'll gain the T.U.T.O.R and then have a bit more flexibility to the order they'd like to play the other beginner lessons that'll start next round. The naming thing is not a big issue though.

Thanks for the submission! :D

3. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks like I have gained my first sacrifice honorable student!
    Shall I give one of the student chairs to you? :)

This time there was less space for bugs to be honest. The fact that there was no T.U.T.O.R. involved meant that the parallel process event got removed and I have also figured out a way to have a sort of self switch system that doesn't need to bother me in sense of having to deactivate them.
    It's called $gameMap. However, since $gameMap doesn't get saved, there will be a bug if the player decides to save, quit and reload, because the custom $gameMap variables I have defined there will be lost. So I guess I'll rework that to self switches in the end as well, but will deactivate them properly at the end :D (EDIT: Nevermind, $gameMap gets saved, so no bugs there.)
    I wonder, perhaps there could be a common event that resets stuff? I know switches would be tricky to reset via a common event, since people can choose to use pretty much whatever they want for their lesson, but since one has to reset all variables, we can use
    Code:
    $gameVariables._data = [];
    to reset them instantly and for self switches I have already shared the code in the Round 2 thread. Having this common event would make all worries from badly reset self switches and variables disappear. The only thing needed to reset manually would be switches used for the lesson and custom stuff they use (for example I had to reset actor's name two times in this lesson :D )

The badge of Coddos should be an item, I agree on that. I just didn't create it in the database, because I don't consider the submission (or in fact any submission I have made) to be the final version, but rather an alpha version so to speak. The important things are done, I just left out minor details to give some maneuvering space.
    Although I'm not yet sure how to deal with the free roam mode... The badge of Coddos acts as a plot-convenient ticket inside, but it wouldn't realistically make sense to just let the player inside coding department in free roam mode when there are Codies all over the place ready to attack them... :D Well, looks like the player will have to get this badge at the beginning when they enter free roam mode :)

As for the pool of darkness... You wouldn't have liked it if you entered it, believe me. Some have tried, but none have returned.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  4. Rhino

Rhino ~Inactive~ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Haha, a chair could be cool. Although I plan to be teaching a few lessons, there's still so much to learn about MV! Our characters are both from the 'darker side' of things, so I can see us hanging out :cutesmile:

You can reset variables via range, say just 1-20, through control variables. I'd be concerned about resetting all variables, as there may be some from 20+ that are more permanent to track the story mode. Same worry about resetting all self switches, as it might bug out someone else's lesson depending how they've used them. (I think I ignored that rule for my Select Item lesson, so that'll be something to go back to when we start to integrate those >o>.)

Yeah, free play mode does require some planning! The idea is that the player will be free to go anywhere, so they'll probably need to have the badge of Coddos added to their inventory from the start, even though they might miss the story behind it. I think it'll still be a nice feature for revision or speed runs, provided that it's not one hell of a headache to organise correctly!

SuperMasterSword and Poryg like this.
  5. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have nothing against it, but how can a student hang out with their teacher without raising suspicions :LZSblush: Anyway, feel free to pick any chair you want except for the four Teachers' chairs at the front and the honorary chair in top left corner - it's a place where Shelly is sitting (or should I say lying?).
    Shelly was my favorite student. She was intelligent, smart, clever and very beautiful. She was also a quick learner, bound to surpass me. Unfortunately, as she became more and more confident... She did not survive one of the boss battles to an elementary mistake...
    In this one lesson I went on to teach her about some battle coding. And she did an awesome job. But then boss battle came and instead of cheating she tried to handle the boss on her own. First she wanted to buff up her stats and then she wanted to reduce the boss's HP to 0 via console... Unfortunately the attack the boss did while she was typing was so strong that she panicked... And while having written $gameActors.actor(1), she finished it by ._hp = 0 in an attempt to quickly kill the boss... But in the end she killed herself.
    From that point onward I have never allowed a single battle in my obstacle courses.

Ah, didn't know variables and self switches would be used in story advancements in some cases! :) In that case it's ok :p I'll use $gameMap from now on, since I don't need to worry about resetting it.

Well, freeplay mode is still a long future ahead... And who knows if we even reach it, because, even though I hate to say it, the community is lacking involvement. Round 1 six submissions, round 2 two and both of them mine... Or did someone submit something? :3

starlight dream likes this.
  6. Rhino

Rhino ~Inactive~ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For sure, we must avoid a scandal :guffaw:

You've really put a lot of thought into the world! It is a bit morbid, but plays into the atmosphere of the department. It'll be great to see the classroom populate with some more of the living (and perhaps a few living dead), in the future!

I don't think there's been any new submissions, though I can't see them until they've been approved either. We're happy to fill gaps in rounds, but yes, it's a bit difficult to run a community project if there's not much interest. There'll be an announcement concerning that in the next day or so.

starlight dream and Poryg like this.
  7. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually, it's just a weird skill. To take nothing and transform it into nothing that makes sense :)
    I've never been good in planning. The fact that 90% of my plans crumble before they can even be realized is a living proof of that. But I'm a gifted improviser. So I laid down the assets without a good reason, but now that they are laid down, I am giving them a meaning. But thank you very much, an appreciation from you is an honor ^_^

Yeah, I think there are no new submissions as well... Although I still have a glimmering hope that somebody managed to post them in the last 8 hours or so and they are just awaiting approval... And hope is the last one to die! (And here we are talking about morbid themes again :D)

Rhino likes this.
  8. SuperMasterSword

SuperMasterSword That Guy You Dont Know Veteran

First Language:
    Javascript
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Your hope is here! I submitted my submission at like 11 last night and it's just awaiting moderator approval! Also, I'l download and play your orientation as soon as I can. It sounds intriguing. :D:thumbsup-left:

starlight dream, Poryg and Rhino like this.
  9. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So round 2 will be forever known as the Duel over who becomes the head of the Coding department. Alright, bring it on. Show me your worst!

What an irony though that the department nobody cares about is the only one to receive attention :D (of course not nobody, but a vast majority of the people doesn't)

starlight dream likes this.