Poryg's moviemento course

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV School' started by Poryg, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A short and quick obstacle course about various ways of dealing with event movements in cutscenes. In my opinion it's a redundant lesson, since most if not all of these features are already explained in the native tutorial, but I see questions about that again and again and again, so I have decided to make a lesson on that.
    The lesson is located in the east hall, far right classroom, next to the bathrooms.

Lesson structure
    The course is separated into 5 obstacles with provided solutions.

Extra materials
    Extra pictures begin with PMC. There's also a POC picture of the boss, since I have decided to keep it in every lesson from now on and it would be pointless to copy it again and again under new prefix.
    Lesson indicators: Switches 28, 29
    The extra monster shown in the lesson is not present in the database and never will.

Known bugs/issues

None. But there may be some, since I initially made it in the old version of MV school and then transferred it to the new one.

Download the lesson here:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U-OsxefbeIDYH1mrvXCl4jzwK11hbEqT

EDIT: Updated the project.
    Changelog:
    v.1.01
    Fixed bugs reported by @Rhino
    Changed the text to make it sound nicer :)
    Fixed several other bugs
    Added several files without which the game was crashing, even though there were no sprites that required these files anymore. I was aware that you had compressed the image and changed the files properly even before uploading, but for some reason the game keeps demanding three of the image files, so I implanted them there for the time being)
    Made several adjustments to the texts
    Added T.U.T.O.R. beeps where they were necessary
    Changed remote controller from toggle by Shift press to press and release Shift mechanics due to toggle by Shift not working properly

The test caused MV core scripts to be updated to 1.6.0. It shouldn't cause any problems, but in case it does, inside img folder there's a JS folder backup.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Rhino likes this.
  2. Rhino

Rhino ~Inactive~ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Bug Reports:
    The door transfers you to the starting point map rather than your classroom.
    There's also some images that fail to load e.g. chests, character damage sheet (my bad, I compressed some of the character images together so they've got new names now.)
    If you walk to the portal after the getting some food (yum) from the chest, it acts as though you've chosen to quit the lesson.
    After viewing set movement routes with the T.U.T.O.R the image doesn't disappear.
    After completing the moviemento course you might want to update the dialogue as it's only offering the console lesson to be repeated. (Although potentially the console lesson won't be available directly after this lesson as we're working on getting the story mode in place so harder lessons will be blocked off until the player is ready unless they head straight to free play mode.)

I think it's perhaps harsh to say people are too lazy to use the built in tutorial, they might not have realised it exists. Though I agree it's annoying to see people ask the same questions when there are various places to find the answers, the MV School is hoping to be an encouraging and fun learning experience for all levels ^^

Having played the obstacle course twice now, I'm really liking the idea you had to keep reusing it! It's quite a fun layout in general, but it really gives the player a chance to test their understanding and I think it'll have a nice sense of progression as they come back later for more challenging courses. It was nice to get to the end this time(!) There's some overlap with Shockra's cutscene lesson, but you've approached the topics from a different angle so I think they're both going to be awesome as beginner lessons.

It might be nice to obtain some of the devices as actual items in the inventory, but I guess that does depends on whether you'll be using those ideas in later courses again, or if we can come up with some funny story tie ins. Will the On-map Boss teleporter work against dreaded deadlines? :guffaw:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Poryg likes this.
  3. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Understood, bugs will be fixed as soon as possible. I thought I fixed all teleport places, my bad for overlooking them :D But it happens when you blindly copy paste from something to something else while there's a new map compared to the previous version :p
    Poryg is always harsh in accordance with his personality ^_^ But I'll change that. I'll keep the tone, but will transform it to sound not so aggressive and rather point out that there's already a built-in tutorial out there.
    I've designed it with Shockra's and Touch's lessons in mind. Knowing Shockra talks about move events, I didn't touch it apart from what I felt was important. It could also serve as some sort of prelude to Shockra's lesson.

Actually, that's not so easy to add the items to inventory.
    There was 5000 gold gain everytime you attacked the console course's screaming chest. You could take as much as you wanted, but in the end it gets all taken away. Just like all readiness the player accumulated in the console course. As you can see, the player doesn't have the power to keep anything, be it physical or not, they take from my dungeons. Which is why I don't feel like adding it to their inventory :p Just like I didn't add that boss monster to the database and only use a premade image, since they won't really fight her :)
    As for deadlines, not sure if it works against them, but it will definitely work against the boss that comes to enforce that deadline on you. Just remember not to use absurdly high numbers, because it's never nice when your boss just uselessly takes space, isn't it? :p
    And I'm glad you like the fact that I reuse the same layout! To be honest, there are several key points as to why I decided to not make dozens of different maps.
    1. I'm lazy and not a particularly good mapper
    2. I'm not fond of running here, running there and running everywhere hunting down events. So I made that course to be a swift thing.
    3. the player knows what to expect everytime they visit the dungeon... Except for refined monsters. I'll always have the good old classics though, a skeleton always asking you for password, Goddess of readiness and boss you have to defeat with various methods of cheating.
    4. The hints are always in the same place, which is the most important thing. In some cases they are missing when they aren't necessary (for example in the Moviemento course the goddess of readiness has a 0% fail rate, so I deleted that hint), but they will always be hidden in the same place, meaning the player, if they know my layout, will not have troubles searching for the hints if they need them.

Rhino likes this.