DestroyDX

Guy trying his best
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there game makers coming at you with another ideas. So I was playing trails of cold steel ii and was wondering how I can make a battle system like that. Battle preview below

The atb and the area of effect skills r simple and there r already plugins for them. The issue is the position and move system.

My original ideas was to use yanfly's plugins to move the actors and enemies around but came across three problems.

First it doesn't account for the move skill that allows the player to set a specific position for the actor and second when I move them it doesn't change their home position and third it doesn't allow me to change the position of the actors before the battle starts to simulate the party being surrounded.

Anyone have any ideas?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it's called a tactical battle system.

and wile a very few team have succeeded in programming such a battlesystem into an RM-Game, most such projects have failed due to the problem of the required custom enemy AI.

An AI that can handle movement and positions is much more difficult to program, and it basically needs to be custom-programmed for each game. That is why you can find some plugins without AI to create such a battle, but most people can't create the AIs needed for their games.

DestroyDX

Guy trying his best
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it's called a tactical battle system.

and wile a very few team have succeeded in programming such a battlesystem into an RM-Game, most such projects have failed due to the problem of the required custom enemy AI.

An AI that can handle movement and positions is much more difficult to program, and it basically needs to be custom-programmed for each game. That is why you can find some plugins without AI to create such a battle, but most people can't create the AIs needed for their games.
I'm well aware of that and I'm trying to focus on the move skill for actors. I'll deal with the enemy ais later.

Maryhiight

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm well aware of that and I'm trying to focus on the move skill for actors. I'll deal with the enemy ais later.
You have to do everything in stages, like fixing this and then moving on to something else, over time ideas will come up that you need to improve.

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The atb and the area of effect skills r simple and there r already plugins for them. The issue is the position and move system.

My original ideas was to use yanfly's plugins to move the actors and enemies around but came across three problems.
I'm curious. Your verbatim sounds like you have a framework started. May I ask how did you make yours?

DestroyDX

Guy trying his best
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm curious. Your verbatim sounds like you have a framework started. May I ask how did you make yours?
Well I used yanfly's area of effect plugin along with with target system for the area of effect, then I used yanfly's battle engine core to move the characters whenever they perform an action. It's quite simple up to the point of home position

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well I used yanfly's area of effect plugin along with with target system for the area of effect, then I used yanfly's battle engine core to move the characters whenever they perform an action. It's quite simple up to the point of home position
Thanks for the information. However, I'm afraid that you may want to look for other plugins to realize your ideal battle mode.

The battle style you are looking for is a grid-based battle mode, but without the grid. Even with all the plugins in its library, YEP does not and cannot change the base function of the game, and therefore the home position of your battlers in sideview will always be the same.

The easiest solution I can provide you is use a plugin that allows grid-based combat. You can consider LeTBS, as there are other forum members who uses it for their Tactical RPGs. It's not 100% the style of Trails of Cold Steel, but until someone makes a plugin for that, plugins like these are your next best bet.

Silenity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I guess you could use the Yanfly Row Formation plugin to simulate movement. I've seen it used before as a pseudo move system for AoE skills and the like.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes I wonder why I still try and recruit others to help with my games. It never works.
ScreenShot_10_3_2022_4_27_17.png
welp, thanks to Luna MV, I was able to add the Balloon as a window... thus allowing me to edit the font color and outline... so now it looks like comic bubbles above characters. I have NO idea why I couldn't get this to work through more conventional means, but here we are.
CUTE CUTE CUTE.gif
I cannot cease doing cute art
War and Wonder is a 100% choice-based open-world visual novel.
1664821313732.png
1664821466359.png
1664821547746.png
Going live soon on Twitch, and will continue Fortunastreet's game "Verloren". For those who are curious, you are welcome to join ;)

-> Franz' Twitch channel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Syczewski