Aderalia

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey,

I am searching for some software that makes creating Text based games easier for me. I started this Project out using C# and WPF, this however turned into a Nightmare since its super easy to achieve first goals but gets ridiculously complicated to do even the simplest things (like saving and loading variables for example + you can’t really use any additional binaries since all of them are either outdated or broken...)

I stumbled across RPG Maker, mainly because of its easy to use Database system and event handling.

I am not afraid of writing scripts if I have to as long as it is within reason... (I don’t want to reinvent the wheel every time I want to display a line of text...)

To brake this down:

What I want to do is a Button driven Text based game, much story not so much typing "go south" a hundred times.

However I do want to have a Map system as well as a time system (in C# I just added minutes to a variable for everything the player did). I also want to display some images (maybe even animations in the future) to give your imagination a kick. Kind of a crossover between a visual Novel an RPG and a farming flash game.

So I also need some form of Menu I can use for the player to make decisions. I need to track a lot of NPC related stats (like affection and stuff like that), also I need to be able to make an NPCs location depended on a variable (so for example the NPC sits in the City marked until you talk to him, he then moves to his shop).

I downloaded the demo of RPG VX Ace and so far I think I could use the Map system that’s already there and use on click events to send the player to certain Locations (maybe even staged like Country Map -> City Map -> Building).

The build in database should make stat tracking pretty easy, even tho I haven’t figured out if I can get rid of the prebuild variables and replace them with my own or if I have to repurpose them.

Also I don’t really need a player model, since you don’t walk around the "usual" RPG way. Inventory and stores should also be relatively easy since a framework seem to be in place already.

I don’t want someone to write my game for me, I just want to know if the things I have planned are doable in RPG Maker without writing thousands of Lines of Code just to get a text framework up and running.

I also looked into the classic text game software, but they are all way to stiff and focused on the classic branched Story with little to know RPG aspects (like RenPy, Quest, InForm, Adrift, and the web based one I forget the name of, none of which worked for me...)

Thanks in advance for every hint/tutorial/opinion you can provide :)

Edit: I hope I posted this in the correct sub Forum...

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sadly, you didn't - Product Discussion and Support is for looking at issues with e.g. Resource Packs.

One of the problem with having multiple questions in one thread is that this could get confusing when people start replying to different queries. I think the place to start will be in script requests, as there may well be existing scripts for some of the things you want to do. I am going by the engine you have specified under your avatar. MV has a different system using plugins written in a different programming language.

[move]RGSS3 Script Requests[/move]

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You need to start looking for scripts. I think there are ones that will do the stuff you want. Like a dungeon crawler view. But you need to search for it to make sure. This is a list of most known scripts. http://www.rpgmakercentral.com/topic/254-master-script-list-on-site/
There are quite literally hundreds.
You can also look at other peoples games for ideas (even though you seem to have your own) and open them if they have not encrypted the files.
There are a lot of demos, and game ideas here as well.

Aderalia

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kes
Thank you for moving my post :) I thought Product Discussion sounded like something generell enough to cover all my Questions, but Script Request seems to be more logical.

@Roninator2
Thank you for this awesome list! Now i just need to find the ones that i need (no idea how to do that to be honest, there are so many!)

Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I went down this path using RPG Maker MV, but I am certain this is possible in RPG Maker VXA as well. I went a bit extreme and tore out any code that I was not going to use (no tile-based maps, no character sprites, etc), but again I am sure you could get away without such heavy modifications. I would highly, highly suggest Modern Algebra's ATS Series. Message Options in particular will give you a ton of neat options for displaying messages.

I have included some screen shots of the layout below for reference :

The player can use their mouse wheel or the up and down buttons to smooth-scroll the text box while the left and right buttons select the menu options below. I used Common Events to store event data for player actions (Look, etc) and exits.

rUmAbZh.png

57z8hZ2.png

43jCami.png

AOeyJep.png

Eventually I migrated the project over to and heavily modified Dadalus, a HTML and Javascript engine.

Last edited:

Aderalia

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
wow thank you a lot! I wasnt searching for Message Scripts thats why i havent found anything on my own :)
Im going to try it out (ill try it without ripping out to much at the beginning :))

SweetMeltyLove

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Have you heard of Quest, the text adventure creator? It's pretty amazing, and people can play your game online

Aderalia

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yes i did, its pretty cool for just text adventures of the classic kind, but to do what i intend would require a lot of base code id have to write myself, and if i do that i might as well start the game in Javascript to begin with and actualy be of better with that :)

It just doesnt have the framework to handle everything i need :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sorry, lot of unexpected hospital things. I'm trying. Life is hectic atm. I know it must seem like I say this every week. XD Anybody wanna trade me for awhile so I can game test and game make?
I love running events, I hate setting up all the awards at the end. >_> But you know, gotta do it :B :B :B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ItsFNREtro