Possible MV sized Pixel Myth: Germania

Would you be interested in an MV sized version?

• Yes! I'd even be willing to buy it again!

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Yes, but only if I don't have to buy it again.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Yes, the original was too small, but now I'm interested.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • No, the original is just right for me.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • No, I never bought the original either.

• I'd rather have something new.

• Do whatever you want, I'll buy anything you make.

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've been considering making an MV sized version of Pixel Myth: Germania.  At first it looked like too much work to make it worth my time, but I've been playing with some upscaling methods that make the work required a lot less like redrawing everything and a little more like polishing it up.  Before I dive into this I wanted to get some opinions.  It wouldn't be out soon, since my priority will be new things, but it's something I can work on when I'm feeling creatively drained.  Of course, it may not happen at all if there's not enough interest or it still ends up being too much work, so I hope I'm not getting anyone's hopes up too high with this post.

The way I see it I've got a few options on this resize.  I could keep everything as pixel art, which would need to be a separate release due to all the work involved.  I could do an anti-aliased resize, which would just require a few touch ups here and there and could possibly be released as a bonus in an update to the original pack.  Or, if there's a huge call for both, I suppose I could do both, which may end up making the new pack cost a bit more because of the extra work.

For those who don't know, anti-aliased is the way to get smooth edges on a rasterized image.  It involves using pixels of color that are in between one shade and the next to blur the edge.  The default tileset for RM is anti-aliased.

Feel free to ask questions before answering the poll, I know this stuff can be confusing for a non-pixel artist.  I'd also love to hear your thoughts on this, stuff doesn't always fit into poll answers.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is exciting Sharm! :o  Its hard to argue with how great the crisp pixel look you get is and overall I think that would be the best looking option. I guess you get more utility if you go anti-aliased and it would likely be quicker for you. As someone who is a bit more strapped for cash I'd prefer a cheaper option right now to be honest.

Ultimately though, anything from you is a must buy/get for me.

Kenen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Voted yes. I bought Pixel Myth. I haven't used it, but I bought it because I thought it was beautiful, well-executed, and worth paying for.

I also voted yes because I would like to see pixel art for MV, though I do realize that the heightened tile sizes represent a significant challenge.

However, if the rework was more of an upscale/retouch as opposed a pixel-by-pixel recreation, I likely wouldn't buy it. I think it's important to create assets for your intended resolution. With MV, what I would like to see is assets being created with MV's dimensions in mind. What I do not want to see is past resources being ported, tweaked, upscaled, retouched, etc, to work with MV.

I bought MV, and am happy to pay for quality resources that were designed from the start to work with MV.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If I were to do a pixel perfect upscale I'd be putting a lot of care into it to make it look native to the new resolution, including adding more details now that there's more room to work in.  The new cost would be justified.  To be honest, it'll still be a lot cheaper than an MV set made from scratch.  Pixel art gets inefficient pretty quickly as you increase the canvas size.

Kenen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If I were to do a pixel perfect upscale I'd be putting a lot of care into it to make it look native to the new resolution, including adding more details now that there's more room to work in.

Which is the entire point. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Umpikuja

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
well you already know I would buy it. I am just beginning so I am not sure on the  anti-aliasation issue. (By your description I am guessing thats the issue I had when I tried to edit in Sketchbook, as opposed to a less sophisticated drawing program. A discussion for another time.) Germania would be perfect for my current project and I would gladly redo all the maps I just finished if you redid it for MV. 

McSundae

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
I would be happy to see it and probably even buy it since those graphics seems to match the style of my owns quite perfectly, maybe i find some interesting parts i could use :D

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The thing with pixel art, is that you'd have to re-create it again in the new resolution. This is a lot of work, as you know. There's a reason I won't upscale Ancient Dungeons (not pixel art, but it has sharp edges) to MV size. It would be like re-creating the entire set! It would take the same amount of time and effort, and I would rather spend this on something new, than a copy.

It might burn you out, working on the same old stuff, but simply making it bigger.

So I'd want something new from you, than something upscaled - if it's going to take the same amount of effort.

Umpikuja

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The thing with pixel art, is that you'd have to re-create it again in the new resolution. This is a lot of work, as you know. There's a reason I won't upscale Ancient Dungeons (not pixel art, but it has sharp edges) to MV size. It would be like re-creating the entire set! It would take the same amount of time and effort, and I would rather spend this on something new, than a copy.

It might burn you out, working on the same old stuff, but simply making it bigger.

So I'd want something new from you, than something upscaled - if it's going to take the same amount of effort.
I understand what your saying. But I am sure I am not the only one starting with MV. I would pay full price for the upscaled version of Germania. Of course I would not be the one doing the work. Maybe something similar? You guys are doing awesome work.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I understand what your saying. But I am sure I am not the only one starting with MV. I would pay full price for the upscaled version of Germania. Of course I would not be the one doing the work. Maybe something similar? You guys are doing awesome work.

If you don't own Pixel Myth, of course you'd have to pay full price for it :p

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
I have thoughts about this.

I think Sharm needs more stuff for those who bought the Ace version. There's still a lot of Ace users.

At the same time, I can understand why you want to release for MV. However, 32x32 is far from a dead format. There's a lot of plugins that supports the grid size. 

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I know, it's been nearly a year since my last pack was released.  Don't worry, I do have new stuff in the works, I won't be ignoring those to work on this.  Sadly I think the next pack to be finished won't be release here, it's not RM related at all.

So, I think if I do this I need to only work on it during times when I wouldn't be working on other packs.  Those times aren't terribly rare (sadly).  Because of my chronic illness I'll have many times when I'll be too brain dead to make new stuff but cleaning up the resize would be about as mentally taxing as filling out a picross puzzle.  At least, that's what I think, we'll see if it actually works that way in practice.  If there's interest I think it'd be worth a try.  I play too much picross anyway.

@Celianna  Yeah, I know how much work it would be, which is why I dismissed it at first.  This upscaling thing gave some good looking results though, so it'll give me a more realistic starting point.  It's not the same amount of work as doing it from scratch anymore, at least I don't think.  If I end up trying to do this I'm going to start with things that would still work with the original art in a new size, like trees, rocks, fences, barrels and such.  That way if it ends up being too much work I'll still have something to release.

@Archeia  32x32 will always be my prefered format, followed closely by 16x16.  I'm probably never going to make anything only in 48x48.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have thoughts about this.

I think Sharm needs more stuff for those who bought the Ace version. There's still a lot of Ace users.

At the same time, I can understand why you want to release for MV. However, 32x32 is far from a dead format. There's a lot of plugins that supports the grid size. 

32x32 is still the preferred format haha. Of course, MV users don't see it that way, but they're all happy to hear when I point out there's plugins for 32x32 support.

Yeah, I know how much work it would be, which is why I dismissed it at first.  This upscaling thing gave some good looking results though, so it'll give me a more realistic starting point.  It's not the same amount of work as doing it from scratch anymore, at least I don't think.  If I end up trying to do this I'm going to start with things that would still work with the original art in a new size, like trees, rocks, fences, barrels and such.  That way if it ends up being too much work I'll still have something to release.

It all depends on what you'd like to do :) if you're okay with upscaling it, go for it. If you'd rather work on something new, do that instead. I think people will be happy with either of those options.

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Of course i would buy it again <3 . Its a splendid tile set and your a great artist =3 ! However, had I the option, I would also voted for expansions to germania too =3 if and when you plan to. Thanks for considering re-scaling it!  

palinskyjoe

affable madman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hopefully I'm not too late to this party. I missed out on the XP/VX/Ace years of RPG Maker because I had a Mac (and had to obsessively/patiently wait for the day that some beautiful humans were able to make a compatible version) and only got to see all of the fantastic resources created for it in the past six months. 

I've purchased almost every graphic pack for RMMV because I've learned so much from seeing the gorgeous work of the artists featured. Pixel Myth is one of those packs that I've been sad to have missed out on. This is a long-winded way of saying that I would totally love to buy an MV-compatible version (and any potential updates/expansions). I guess I'm saying that you have a fan who has never gotten to actually use your work in any capacity, but who totally is envious of those who can. :)  

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Aw, thank you!  I feel bad having to respond to such a nice post with bad news.  To be honest, I doubt I will be doing this.  If you just look at percentages it's a positive response, but I wanted to see how many people were responding as well.  18 people said they'd buy it, but that's not actually a whole lot, even considering that there are people who aren't voting who would probably buy it.  It's not quite enough to get me to work on it when I could be working on something new.  If, in the future, that interest goes up I will reconsider, but for now I think I'd better focus on all my half finished sets. If it makes you feel any better though, I think the next set I'll be finishing is going to be MV compatible.

If you didn't know, there's also a few ways of getting 32x32 tiles working in MV, so you don't have to be limited by MV's unusual tile size.

palinskyjoe

affable madman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's the way it goes. Honestly, that reason makes all the sense in the world.

Also, I think I was under the impression that I had to own the maker that it was compatible for in order to use the pack (I'm super hesitant with everything that might come close to breaking some kind of usage rights agreement, I respect the company/artists/etc. too much to take the chance) but I realized recently I was mistaken (unless I'm mistaken about being mistaken?). I'd love to just convert them and play around/experience it all if its allowed. 

Thanks for the response, and I look forward to seeing what other resources you come up with! :D

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's only true of the RTP, you can use the other sets in the RM of your choice, the things that indicate which Maker it's for is just so you know how it's formatted.  It's really cool that you're making sure that you're using the resources the way the artist intended, it's appreciated.  Too many don't care.

McSundae

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@Sharm Sad to hear that you won't do it - but very reasonable. 18 people +/- are just not enough for your effords :D

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's the way it goes. Honestly, that reason makes all the sense in the world.

Also, I think I was under the impression that I had to own the maker that it was compatible for in order to use the pack (I'm super hesitant with everything that might come close to breaking some kind of usage rights agreement, I respect the company/artists/etc. too much to take the chance) but I realized recently I was mistaken (unless I'm mistaken about being mistaken?). I'd love to just convert them and play around/experience it all if its allowed. 

Thanks for the response, and I look forward to seeing what other resources you come up with! :D

Any resource pack you buy in the store, can be used in any of Degica's products, so any RPG Maker. When it mentions a certain RPG Maker in the description, it means it's compatible and made for that version, but you can still use it in the other makers if you'd like, there just won't be any guarantee it works in that version.

@Sharm seems like it's a daunting project after all. But I'm sure you'll make many people happy with new tiles!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Made Custom ENEMY Information Screen
I'm having such a hard time thinking of an interesting battle system. and not being a coder, certain things I wanna do seem a lot harder lol.
Created a character outline with some code. I have no use for this. I'm....bored.....
Having lots of fun using different PS brushes to add a lil' texture to the floors and walls in my maps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmbor