paulcimmino

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello people!
I'm new around here, so I apologize in advance if I posted in the wrong section.

I started making my game a few months ago; so far so good, I have almost everything I wanted to put in this project.

In terms of game mechanics, the last thing I would like to add is what is known as the "Scan" skill. Trying to integrate it with common events, I'm trying to use variables in troop events (in order to evaluate them in common events) but it seems that these variables are not being modified in any way.

Here's an example of what I'm experiencing:

- I set up an event for the troop; I want it to set the variable to 1
1627476748538.png

- I go for a Battle Test and use a debug tool to check if the variable is being set (it's not as you can see)
In fact when I try to use the variable in a common event, it is always 0
1627477542943.png

I think this could be a plugin interfering with troop events, but I really have no clue about what is going on.

Any help (or advice to debug the problem) is appreciated!

I leave here the plugins I'm using at the moment:
1627478128303.png
1627478280774.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I go for a Battle Test
Battletest uses a lot of shortcuts to get to the battleengine without launching the game. And that can cause a lot of problems in interactions with other engine elements.

Please test in a real game before assuming anything is a bug from battletest alone.

I leave here the plugins I'm using at the moment:
your yanfly plugins are in the wrong order.
please resort them exactly into the order given on yanfly's website, top to bottom

third, if a plugin interferes with a variable then that means you forgot to configure the plugin correctly.
have you configured all plugins? if yes then this cannot be the cause.
if no then you know what to do

paulcimmino

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Battletest uses a lot of shortcuts to get to the battleengine without launching the game. And that can cause a lot of problems in interactions with other engine elements.

Please test in a real game before assuming anything is a bug from battletest alone.

your yanfly plugins are in the wrong order.
please resort them exactly into the order given on yanfly's website, top to bottom

third, if a plugin interferes with a variable then that means you forgot to configure the plugin correctly.
have you configured all plugins? if yes then this cannot be the cause.
if no then you know what to do

I fixed the plugin order but it still didn't work.
I disabled all the battle-related plugins and... it worked.
There's definitely a conflict somewhere, I'll try to turn the plugins back on (one by one) to debug this more.

Thank you kindly for the help :LZSsmile:

EDIT: forgot to say that I stopped testing in the Battle Test as you advised me.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's definitely a conflict somewhere, I'll try to turn the plugins back on (one by one) to debug this more.
and as I added in an edit above, if a plugin blocks a variable that is ALWAYS a user configuration error.

yes, there are actually a lot of plugins that use variables for control. And in all cases the decision which variables to use is configurable.
Whenever you add a plugin (as in single plugin, you should never add more than one plugin at one time if you know how to work), then the next step is ALWAYS to configure the plugin that you just added. And the most important part of that configuration is to set all required variables of that plugin to variables that are still unused in your project, and then to NAME those variables so that you know they are used by a plugin, and what they are used for.

So what you now have to do is to
1) activate a single plugin
2) configure that single plugin NO MATTER IF THE ERROR IS GONE OR NOT.
3) continue to 1 until everything is configured.

you might test the error in the same time as you configure everything, but most likely the effect is gone as soon as you configure everything, or you'll find multiple plugins that use the first variable as default configuration.

But for the future, always configure each plugin as soon as you add or activate it.
and if it has a configuration option you don't understand, go to its help and learn what it does before continuing, I can't count the number of times people came here because they used plugins without understanding what they are for (like adding item core and wondering why their items suddenly have randomized values, or adding a base troop plugin and wondering why the troop events of their first troop suddenly work on all troops and so on.

paulcimmino

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I found the source of the problem, it's related to how VE_ActiveTimeBattle turn count works:
1627496081533.png

I don't know if Victor Sant is still working on this.
Maybe I'll just switch back to the standard turn system.

Thanks again!

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Or, since you clearly purchased the Yanfly library, why not use that ATB?

There's also Yanfly's Base Troop Events, if you want that variable set at the beginning of every fight and you don't want to copy it into every troop.

paulcimmino

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Or, since you clearly purchased the Yanfly library, why not use that ATB?

There's also Yanfly's Base Troop Events, if you want that variable set at the beginning of every fight and you don't want to copy it into every troop.
I grabbed a bunch of Yanfly plugins when they were still free, but I’m really considering to purchase the whole bundle. Base Troop Events won’t do in my case, I want to set the variable to a different value for each troop.

I think this thread can be closed.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Working on a characteeer! (Why is it so hard to color hair?) ;-;
Silly-Sketches.png
Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!
I feel the need to inform everyone on the forums NOT to go with Web Hosting Canada for your hosting needs. It is by far the worst customer service and just overall experience I have ever had with hosting and I am Canadian...
BCj
Got another eye surgery monday. Hope I'll recover quick and all's well. A bit tired of surgeries. On a happy note, working on the next chapter of Escalia so hope I can continue soon :)
Celebrating the arrival of autumn in the Northern Hemisphere :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kotfwing