Possible to have a RMXP script to handle full screen even at high resolutions?

Discussion in 'RGSS Script Requests' started by jonathan4210, Sep 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. jonathan4210

jonathan4210 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It seems that if I set the resolution of my PC to anything higher than 1600x900, running the game normally is still fine, but going full screen makes the game too big, and you only see a part of the entire map. Is it possible to have a script to adjust full screen, that no matter what the resolution of the player's PC is (whether its super low or super high like 2560x1440), it fits the entire window properly and not leave stuff cut out? I searched for this and only found scripts to make the game go full screen automatically, which isn't what I want.

JosephSeraph likes this.
  2. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    i'm pretty sure this is a very advanced script, but an useful one nonetheless. Lookin' forward to it!

3. jonathan4210

First Language:
    English
    Or if it's too complex, I also don't mind having full screen set to the usual 640x480, and that the window is in the center and depending on the user's resolution, there's a black border around the centered window. I hope I am explaining this well. Like let's say the player has 2560x1440 and goes full screen. The game window is still 640x480 and its in the middle, and around the window is a black padding of 1920x960 (the difference between PC resolution and window resolution). That's still better than having the game window being half visible and the rest cut off.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The black padding is created by your display driver, NOT by RM. As a result, no script can change that directly - and even the parts that can be influenced are limited.

You need a game resolution that is an official windows resolution - which means 640x480 (I don't know if it's possible for RMXP to go to 800x600).

In any non-windows resulution you will either get the black borders or a distortion due to the way graphics drivers are programmed.

If you have set the engine to a regular windows resolution and still get the black borders on fullscreen, then you have to check your display driver settings on scaling.

Depending on the graphic card manufacturer the driver may have the settings to force full scaling, or it may not. And I can't even tell you how that setting is named as it is different depending on the driver.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2015
  5. MobiusXVI

MobiusXVI Game Maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My computer's resolution is 1920x1080 and full screen works fine. So like Andar pointed out, it's probably an issue with display drivers.

6. jonathan4210

First Language:
    English
    So 2560x1440 isn't an official windows resolution? Because thats what I have and going full screen cuts off a lot of the game. If it is, then I gotta check my display driver.

7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We aren't talking about windows resolution, we are talking about game resolution. That has to be changed into an official windows resolution, and that is something entirely different.
    For example, the default game resolution of RMVXA is 544x416. I don't know the RMXP default resolution, but I assume it's the same.

EDIT: For RMVXA, the maximum game resolution is 640x480 - even if you change the scripts to a higher number, the game will be limited to that number.

I suggest you set the RMXP game resolution to that (requires script) before trying fullscreen on a windows resolution of 2560x1440.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
  8. jonathan4210

First Language:
    English
    But isn't RMXP's default resolution already 640x480?

9. jonathan4210

First Language:
    English
    Ah, I figured out it's Window's custom scaling thats the problem, not the resolution (sorry if thats what one of you were trying to explain. I didnt get it at first :p ). Full screen works fine no matter the resolution, as long as the scaling is set to 100%. So maybe there can be a script to set the game's own scaling, and not follow Windows?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
  10. MobiusXVI

MobiusXVI Game Maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In Windows, you can disable scaling on a per application basis. Just right-click on the application and under display properties (or something like that) there should be the option. So it's probably easier to just let your end users know this via a read me than trying to script the behavior in.