Post interesting skills you made here

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by  Nova, Jun 3, 2015.

1.  Nova

Nova Veteran Veteran

What would an RPG be without any good skills?

Post some interesting skills you made here :D

2. BlackLiquidSorrow

BlackLiquidSorrow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I made a skill called power drain that absorbs an enemy's HP and uses the amount gained for the user's next attack.

atoms and RachelTheSeeker like this.
  3. Chaos Avian

Chaos Avian Abyssal Wing Restaff

First Language:
    English
    I have a Dancer's skill named "Rally Waltz", what that does is the user dances to draw a target enemy attention and all other active party members charge in. So essentially Dancer uses their turn to give everyone else a free regular attack.

atoms and RachelTheSeeker like this.
  4. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

I have a skill called "Backstab" which works like so:

-the attacker attacks last on this round of combat (I do this via an attack speed penalty)

-if the attacker has not been attacked this round of combat, and the target has already been (physically) attacked by an ally this round of combat, then you automatically do double damage and inflicted "wounded" on the target.  if one of the conditions is not met, then it's just a regular attack (but you still lose the MP you spent on the skill).

The skill is thus partially a risk (that an enemy won't attack you that turn), which fits in with the Rogue playstyle, and synergizes with the Rogue's other skills which lower target rate.  You also rely on someone else in your party (i.e. the tank) making a successful physical attack on that same target.

I'm particularly proud of this idea. :)    Feel free to use commercial or non-commercial, but credit me.

5. captainproton

captainproton Dangerously Nifty Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Knights can Rally their allies, buffing MAT & ATK, but preventing Guard.

Monks can use Unagi to amp accuracy, evasion and crit rate. (Points for guessing the reference.)

Medics have a set of skills running from Triage to Resuscitate, which applies the effects of a single healing item to the whole party.

RachelTheSeeker likes this.
  6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A couple from my game:

Hide: If you are not hit this turn, your ATK for the next turn is increased by 50%.

Extending Dance: Increases the duration of everyone's buffs in your party by one turn, Basically, it gives you a way to burn a turn to keep your current buffs in effect for an extra turn (handy if you used an item to get those buffs and/or can't afford to recast the buff).

Time for Dinner: Guard + Healing as one skill. You guard, and take a turn to eat, which restores some health.

7. BlackLiquidSorrow

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I made a skill called Furtribution that allows the user to counter up to three attacks before the state goes away.

8. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A few of the most interesting skills from the game I'm working on now:

• Explosive Chains: Binds an enemy (slowing and weakening it).  If you KO that enemy within three turns, the chains explode, dealing heavy fire damage to the entire enemy troop.
    • Grenadier: Costs a lot of mana but the amount of fire damage it deals increases with each consecutive use.  Once you take another action, though, you lose the increase and this skill goes on cooldown for several turns.
    • Astral Reverie: Protects an ally so that enemies can't target nor harm that ally for five turns.  However, this protection will end immediately if that ally targets anyone but himself with an action.
    • Essence Swipe: If this skill KOs its target, you gain a random Essence Shard item with a powerful effect (such as restoring energy and refreshing cooldowns, or dealing large damage to one foe, or granting a big heal to an ally).  The Shards disappear at the end of the battle.

9. Blinn

Blinn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Here's 10 of my favorite/interesting skills from Uniques United:

Zombie-in-a-box: Summons an angry zombie from the depths of a little 2x2 wind-up box. Hits 1 target 6 times. This is an unused skill that will be re-implemented once it has proper art and sound effects.

Hyperactivity: One of the characters in the game is sometimes really hyper, so there's a way to control it in battle. :)

Gamma Screen: A "Limit-break" skill that a certain character can use. Deals electric damage to all enemies, ignores defense, and has a 20% chance to Stun.

Mustard Gas: 50% chance of inflicting Poison on all enemies.

Insidious Knife: Ignores Defense and can cause multiple various status ailments.

Bottle Rocket: Deals water damage and can cause the Drenched status. Drenched enemies take 50% extra damage from electric attacks.

Scribe: Works exactly like FF8's Draw skill. Stores enemy magic for later use. Only one character can use this.

Bouquet of Blades: Deals physical damage. Hits one target 8 times.

Electric Bubbles: Deals electric damage to two random targets.

Ether Swipe: Combines attack and magical attack to deal Air-based damage to one target. Ignores defense and magic defense.

Here, you can see some of them in action:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2015
    lianderson and RachelTheSeeker like this.
  10. S.Court

S.Court Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Español
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Let's see

Exterminate/Hellfire/Hellwind/Electro shock: Tremendous elemental damage to allies and enemies who are poisoned/burned/confused/paralyzed

Valaurora: A magical attack will make more damage if you have a high resistance to holy element, the more you resist it, the more damage it'll do

Dark mist: The target is surronded by a mist will make dark elemental damage after the affected makes a move

Distorsion void: This attack can reverse all buff and debuffs the target has

Excalibur stance:The attack of the user will increase by 125%, but the magical attack will decrease by 75%, the user's physical attacks will have more chance to make a critical hit, and it'll let him to use some skills are unusable otherwise

11. elementsaph

elementsaph Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I made a skill called Celestial Selection. What this skill does is it draws a divine card from a deck of them and appears above the character's head that used it. The card is faced backwards and once it flips around it explodes into a random magic circle. Depending on which circle was displayed determines which buff will be cast. Ex: the light circle will heal the user where the dark circle will curse them(lower att or defense etc) it's a random skill that makes a battle more fun as you need to work around whatever you get.

12. BlackLiquidSorrow

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Interesting... How did you make the animation for it?

13. elementsaph

elementsaph Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I found a sprite sheet online that had the back of a card that was turning towards the front and took various magic circles as the secondary image. I had the card float up and turn around, spark or turn into a bright flash and display a magic circle. Using yanfly's skill invoke script I named all the skills Celestial Selection and had the script pick a random one to use.

BCj likes this.
  14. Asigna

Asigna Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Here's a list of skills i made for my project "Plantera adventures" (which i am yet to post). It may be worth noting some of these are inspired by certain Final Fantasy skills. All these skills are done with proper scripting.

Eliminate/Warp - Used by machine enemies, erases target from battle. The character affected by its associated status effect "Erased" (associated with the message "Disappeared!" when it successfully hits) will be untargetable for the duration of the battle and flagged as a dead character. Unlike death, the target simply vanishes and their HP is left as is.

Maximo - Used exclusively by my game's resident superboss Regis battler (another machine enemy). It deals a volley of statuses on a randomly chosen amount of characters, the least is 2 characters dealt with random status effects while the most is 4. Inspired by the Final Fantasy 6 enemy ability "mind blast" and the Final Fantasy 5 enemy ability "Grand cross".

Defender - Used exclusively by the defensive type character in my project, Geo Colin. It makes the user step forward to take hits for the party by being the only character that can be targeted by enemies. The effect stops when the user is killed (Erased, Fossilized, Zombie, death) or when the user stops defending. The skill before its usage is called ---Defender--- and changes into ---Stop defending--- while defender is in effect.

Multistriker - Used exclusively by the offensive type character in my project, Jarov Morsite. It is more of a FF5 "Rapid fire" type skill, however, to unleash individual physical attacks, the player has to keep on tapping the button "Z" repeatedly. It is more of a button mashing type skill. The most number of hits a player can unleash is theoretically 90 but since the conditional branch that asks whether or not the button Z is being pressed processes faster than the player could tap the button Z, normally, only 5-10 hits could be unleashed. The down side of this skill is that it needs to be charged up for a moment.

Light gun - Used by machine enemies, deals unblockable, unevadable, unreflectable, non elemental, defense ignoring damage to the target equal to 1/2 of the target's maximum HP and inflicts bleeding, a slip damage status effect and pain, in which stuns the target for 1 turn.

Omniverse - Targets enemies and allies nullifying all status effects positive and negative (except death and erasure). It interrupts all charging up skills.

Barrage - Launches missiles at opponent, halving their MP and dealing moderate fire damage.

Seal of death - Enemy ability. Inflicts a status with the same name in which affected targets will gain doom timers, if the doom timer runs out, the target will be zombified (a status which flags the affected character as dead). The zombie status can be healed however yet if the healed character is killed again, the character will be revived as a zombie.

Flying square - Used by enemies, usually by those that form groups of four. The caster(s) creates a quadrangle which is then launched at a single target inflicting fossilization (a game over status the same as petrify). Some enemies may cast this skill alone.

Strangelet - Launches an unstable particle which spins for a while and hits a single random combatant in the battlefield friend or foe. Affected character is hit with a ton of status effects and heavy damage.

Meteor shower - Showers defense ignoring non elemental projectiles on 4 random opponents.

Snuff/Blow/Super fan - Kicks out a random character from the battlefield. The first two are enemy abilities that always hit while the last one is dealt by one of my character's tool weapons which has a calculated probability of success and may miss on some enemies. When all the party members are ejected (or some ejected and the others dead, erased, fossilized or zombified), the battle ends and is considered a draw, experience is not awarded nor does it count as a Game Over.

Shifter - User changes its physical properties. It gains a random element to absorb, another random element to be weak to and nullifies the other elements. Works through common event.

There are many more though i don't have time to list them all.

RachelTheSeeker and Wavelength like this.
  15. Benjamin Kuli

Benjamin Kuli Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    While it isn't used in any of my current projects, during my testing with several scripts, I actually made a battle system where if you want to use a "magic", you have to literally spell out each keywords. For example, if you want to use the skill "Abracadabra", or "Hocuspocus", you have to literally spell each letters in a QTE to activate them.

I also made some other interesting skills, but most of them are interesting because they create several "archetypes", and the whole system is based on different elements and types. In other words, they are all the same skills, but depending on the element, they are changing some attributes and gets some additional bonus (like water heals, fire burns the most if you are in low health, but you pay life points instead of mana points, etc).

M.I.A. likes this.
  16. Reavenator

Reavenator Member Veteran

I made a good amount of skills in my game. My favorites so far are:

Blood magic: This spell fully replenishes the user's mana, but costs a large amount of health, making it dangerous to use.

Summon knights: Summons a group of ghost knights to protect the party. When a party member is attacked, the knight guarding them blocks the attack, counterattacks and then leaves.

Assasinate: Summon a spirit to attack an enemy. Deals heavy damage and instantly kills a target that is bellow a certain health threshold. You can only summon it once per fight though.

Counterspell: Cancels the next enemy spell cast

Spellsteal: Cast a previously countered spell. I haven't decided whether this should cost mana.

Distruption: Prevents the target from casting spells and deals damage over time. The effect stops when the caster does anything other than defend.

Crippling power: The final boss uses this ability. Debuffs the entire party's stats, and buffs the boss.

These are the concepts at least, I may need to change them when I get to the balancing stage, assuming I ever start to make any real progress, lol.

17. Impulse

Impulse Villager Member

First Language:
    Douchebag
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This thread would actually be useful if any of you put how you made these skills. I understand you may not want other's using them, but if that's the case then don't post about them. A list of skills is one hundred percent utterly useless if it's just a description. The whole point of this website is to help each other create things, not just show off what you've done..

18. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    But this specific forum is only for concept design at the basic level. If you want to understand how to, you can go to the support forum and ask how it's done.

----
    Speaking of which, in the game I'm working on, I have PLENTY of them. I might want to sort them out and post it here later. This is an interesting topic :)

19. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Impulse : Most of the more interesting ones take scripting or coding, which is why most don't post details too as the details depend on what engine you are using. How to make a skill in ACE that uses scripting will be way different than how to make it in MV or even RPGMaker 2003.

20. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So here's my list

Flame Burst:
    Upon casting deals small heat damage to all enemies (80% of normal damage). Additionally, cloaks the user with flame. If an enemy is attacking the user with a melee attack, it will deal a small amount of damage to the enemy. Every attack deals 20% echo damage. For example, if my normal attack deals 100, then it will deal 100 (Whatever the element is) + 20 (Heat element). If the actor is using a skill that deals 200 damage, it will echo 40 so the total is 240.

Heliosphere:
    (A counterpart of Flame Burst), upon casting, deal moderate arcane damage to a single enemy (145% of normal damage). Additionally cloaks the user with a protective barrier, increasing the overall armor rating. This is a defensive counterpart of Flame Burst if the enemies are using a ranged attack. The echo is a bit weaker, 10% compared to its counterpart. Both states cannot co-exist. It's overwriting.

Solar Flare (Field effect):
    Cast a field effect that burns the enemy over time. Dealing 40% of the actor's normal attack per turn (it's not HP based DoT). The burn damage is not a state, so it can not be dispelled unless the field effect is erased. Additionally, all allies attack gain 10% additional heat damage echo.

Ground Zero
    Spend 50% of the current HP to deal up to 180% damage AoE. If the HP spend is lesser, the multiplier will also be smaller. Additionally, the user will get hostility up for a turn (Aggro up by a lot). Exposing to all attack for a single turn. It creates risk and reward kind of skill.

Ether Mark
    Upon casting, deals moderate arcane damage to an enemy (145% of normal damage). The enemy will get ether mark state. If the enemy is hit by an attack, it deals an additional 10% arcane damage echo, but the state only lasts for one hit. On a higher level, the state will also make the damage ignore armor (for one hit).

Hi-Explosive
    An actor "waste" a turn to slot an explosive bullet (the skill is not using up a resource like TP, just a turn). Upon attack, the actor will gain 20% impact damage echo for one attack. The damage is minimal, but it damages the armor quite a lot compared to other skills so it breaks armor quicker. If HE shell is combined with another skill, it may proc a hidden combo skill that I never tell to the player.

Blind Shot (Passive)
    At the end of the turn, chance to randomly shot an enemy.

Essentially, in my game, you can stack multiple echo damages like this.
    Screenshot_369.png

Chaos Avian and RachelTheSeeker like this.