Post interesting skills you made here

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by  Nova, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Echoing Thunder: Deals more damage (stacks) when used consecutively. Damage bonus resets if skipped use a turn, or once it reaches 5 stacks.

Photon Shield: Active for 3 turns. Grants Defence+, and stuns enemies physically attacking into it. While active, can be detonated to damage all enemies.

Explosion: Drains all MP, dealing more damage per MP spent. User becomes unable to act (but isn't dead) until the end of battle, or until their MP is fully charged again.

Ritual: Cycles through 4 different versions, each one granting different bonuses to the party when used.

Blackrock Cannon: Visually materialises a cannon in their hands to strongly upgrade their Attack command until the end of battle.

Will of the Goddess: Has a random, but powerful outcome. Ranging from healing all party HP, all party MP, 1 turn double party attack, 1 turn party invincibility, dealing high damage to all enemies etc.

Explosive Mines: Lays a random number of mines on the field (stacks). The more mines present, the higher the chance a number of them will explode at the end of the turn, dealing more damage to all foes per mine that goes boom. Active mines restore MP to the user each turn and can be detonated manually all at once for immediate benefits.

Granite Statue: Become invulnerable, but cannot act and lose MP every turn. At 0 MP, this form cancels.

Magic Renewal: Lose all MP, but fully restore all other allies' MP. Can be used only once per battle.

Rampage: Double all heroes' and enemies' attack. Everyone is now Berserk (attack targets at random, including possibly allies).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  2. xdan

xdan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    My game is pretty much becoming alchemy: the game, as most skills are based on elemental interactions with each other. I'm going to explain electric ones, as they are the ones I've done the most with so far:

-Electric shock +: causes the target to acquire positive charge.
    -Electric shock -: if the target has positive charge, it loses 30% of its max HP.

Simple, right? A two turn combo that causes HP% damage, which counters battlers with lots of HP and no resistances. Now, to counter this:

-Charge -: causes the user to acquire negative charge. This means that if someone tries to attack you with Electric shock +, he'll be the one to lose 30% of his max HP.

But this, too, can be countered:

-Electric destabilizer: if the target has positive or negative charge, he'll get paralyzed (unable to use physical attacks).

There's a less risky option to take advantage from electricity:

-Discharger: removes positive or negative charge and transforms it into TP.

So, there you have it. Five diferent abilities all centered around the same element, each one having interactions with each other and providing different options and approaches to the battle. There's also fire mechanics which revolve around negative status that get worse over time or after using other skills, there's ice mechanics that center around movement impairment, slows, and such,... I'm still working on it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  3. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Rather than just making quirky abilities, I strive for a combination of several things to (hopefully) make my skills and combat interesting:
    • Attack: The basic attack command changes with the equipped weapon. Usually it's just a variant of attack like "Slash" or "Shoot" however some weapons (especially rods and staves) change Attack into whatever spell-like effect they'd produce if used as an item in a game like FF4. The Fire Rod, for example, replaces attack with "Fire Bolt." All Attack-based abilities are the weakest actions since they're free to use, but to make them useful, they increase the TP (Limit Break) gauge twice as quickly as with other skills,
    • Guard: Based on note tags, actors, classes, equips, and states can allow guard to apply effects to either the user, the entire party, or any combination thereof. So, equipping the Regeneration Ring might allow the user to heal and guard at the same time. Equipping the Guardian Ring might allow the user to buff his defense by guarding. Equipping the Foam Finger might allow the user to apply Taunt to himself while guarding. Equipping the Fire Shield might allow the user to put a fire resist barrier on his party by guarding. Combine all of those things for a fantastic tank. Note that guard still "guards" in addition to these bonus effects
    • Limit Break: When TP (rebranded LB ) reaches 100%, the basic attack ability is replaced with this. This grants the user access to their choice of learned Limit Break skills for that exciting extra punch from abilities that feel borderline overpowered. (but aren't, of course)
    Now for individual skills:
    • Metamorph: Inspired by the Ragnarok esper from FF6, this skill outright kills targets if their HP is below a certain amount while giving you an item. The required HP threshold as well as the item awarded (and quantity) is determined by note tags. Any enemy without the required note tag is treated as immune.
    • Wild Magic: Cast up to 3 random single target black magic spells at the target. Or it fizzles. Or it blows up in your face. The incentive for using it is its extremely low MP cost as well as the chance to sometimes use really strong spells.
    • Gravity: Similar to the Final Fantasy spell by the same name, but better. It deals damage in proportion to the enemy's current HP or if the <No Gravity> note tag is present on the target, it deals damage like any other spell, so it never becomes useless skillbook filler.
    • Jump: Leap into the air for a bit, becoming untargetable. Deals damage upon landing. Again, a final fantasy ability ripoff. :3
    • Counterspell: Taunts magical attacks toward the user, greatly reduces incoming magic damage, and causes the user to counter magic attacks with Feedback. Feedback deals pretty solid non-elemental magic damage. All this lasts for a single turn.
    Finally, yanfly's action sequences can make otherwise-basic abilities visually interesting:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

atoms, Bland-Aid and RachelTheSeeker like this.
  4. RachelTheSeeker

RachelTheSeeker Suddenly, a summer breeze... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    To be fair, most of my abilities are pretty bog-standard JRPG faire, mostly derived from Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest spells. That said, I felt I did well with my spin on the FF5 Chemist class, a "Confectioner".

I recall in my teens that I wrote made-up walkthroughs, GameFAQs-style, of these made up JRPGs based on a furry webcomic I read back in the day using my mom's old electric typewriter that I loved. The make-believe guides made it as far as a fourth and final installment, where I introduced a Job system among other silly ripoffs of FF5 and Tactics classes. While I'm not sure where I'd stick the Confectioner these days, as my current MV project is more story-based and doesn't involve class-changing, it's still an idea I wanna employ someday for a class-based adventure.

Their main abilities involve doubling the effects of HP/MP restoring items ("snacks") in combat with Pharmacology, as well as being able to give MP to an ally for the same cost as it is to cast that one. But their main shtick is being able to buy special "Extracts" in a store after unlocking the class, allowing you to use their baseline Concoct command. The four are Sweet, Sour, Spice (like spice jellybeans) and Mint, and they do the following effects when mixed together...

Sweet + Sweet = "Sweet Treat", restoring half of the party's HP.
    Sweet + Sour = "Lemon Drop", restoring half of one's HP and one-quarter MP.
    Sweet + Spice = "Sugary Repose", which attempts to destroy all undead (60% chance per foe) and deals magical damage if it doesn't.
    Sweet + Mint = "Bracer", granting Auto-Life which is normally only available as a self-buff for the Dark Knight/"Pariah" class.
    Sour + Sour = "Sour Spritz", restoring one-quarter MP to the party.
    Sour + Spice = "Rasp Berry Bomb", reducing all foes' MP to zero but having no effect on bosses.
    Sour + Mint = "Tangy Cannonade", which would allow one ally to immediately make their next turn if using a FF10-style turn system, and which also grants them a big boost to ATK and a decent buff to critical chance that turn if so.
    Spice + Spice = "Cinnamon Flare", which deals defense-piercing "true" damage to one enemy.
    Spice + Mint = "Cinna-Mint Blaster", which inflicts Poison and Paralysis upon all foes.
    Mint + Mint = "Fragrant Therapy", which cures the party of all status ailments except KO and immunizes them against ailments for 3 turns.

Currently these abilities aren't all balanced against each other and against some existing skills but the Extracts may be pricey, and I've been needing to make MP a harder commodity to restore on adventures akin to older JRPGs.

atoms and Bland-Aid like this.
  5. Tech

Tech Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Resonance
    A stacking buff to MATK and MP. Started out as an experiment with states that granted skills, evolved into a mechanic to simulate the growing friendship between the characters.

Blood Knight Stance
    Grants a buff to attack-in exchange for life. The more you've bled, the stronger your attacks

6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Heh, my game has changed a lot since I last posted here, so let me post some of my new ones:

News Filter: Reporter Auto Skill which means it invokes if that person starts the battle in the battle party. Blocks all status ailments from being inflicted on turn 1.

Glass Shatter: Archer skill which throws up some glass then shatters it hitting all enemies for damage and high chance to reduce their LUK. Fast to invoke too, so likely to go before anyone else acts.

Healing Curse: Anytime the target heals, you get healed the same amount. One way to benefit from those enemy healers.

The Auto Skills are the biggest new one though, as they are free skills which invoke if, and only if, that person starts the battle in the battle party once they have learned the skill. All of them are buffs of some sorts, like -5% MP cost the entire battle, or +25% to DEF and MDF the first turn of battle, stuff like that.

Of course, enemies get them too, so beware.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    atoms likes this.
  7. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I try to give each "job class" a unique, and potentially game-changing skill to use as their "Limit"..

That being said, one of my favorite skills I'd created is for my "Time Mage" class. The skill is called "Suspension".
    It's an unavoidable state that is applied to all Allies and Foes (Including Bosses) for 10 turns. All it does is prevents any entity in battle from taking any action, effectively suspending everyone in time. However, any currently applied states (good or bad), will continue to count down (or up) during those rounds.

So if a Poison is applied.. the victim will continue to be poisoned. If a shield is applied for 6 turns, well then, tough luck. The shield will run out.
    Got a Doom Countdown? It was nice knowing ya.. :)

I don't know why I like "Suspension" so much.. it's just so fun! And it can have a lot of strategic advantages if used creatively. :)

Hope you find this useful!
    -MIA

RachelTheSeeker, xdan and atoms like this.
  8. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A skill Im Still working on and figuring out how to do is Heaven's Gate/Hell's Gate (same skill basically but for different characters) where you summon said gate and it either removes a minor enemy from the fight entirely or does massive damage to a larger (boss) one.

atoms likes this.
  9. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can think of how to do it with common events, I.e Check switch. If off create Variable, Random 1-8, Random enemy apply invisible state, if enemy has state remove that enemy, if no state applied repeat until random enemy picked.

IF switch is on, attack specific boss index enemy for certain damage, force skill action.

In boss battles switch is turned on, outside boss battle switch is turned off.

If party member can switch positions, apply a invisible state on the party member to check and have them use the force action then remove the invisible state.

I'd say a different invisible state applied to both the party member and enemies per actor who has that skill, but otherwise a duplicate of the same common event can work.

I'm certain there is a more ideal way of doing this, with simpler code or plugins, but that's a messy way of handling it.

Finnuval likes this.
  10. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, it's not original, but in my current project there is a feral warrior named Brozag that assumes a stance during battle, and it lasts until he is knocked down, or until the battle ends. There is 4 stances: Tiger stance (based on guts [I use guts instead of luck]), bear stance (based on strenght), turtle stance (based on defense) and fox stance (based on intellect). Once he assumes a stance, he will have access to three stance skills, and when I say that the stances are based in an attribute, I mean these skills are based on the attributes. The bear stance, for instance, has three skills that scales with the character strength.

It's not original because I tried to do something like Gau's rage, from Final Fantasy VI.

atoms likes this.
  11. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Finnuval : I'd do the skill by having it apply damage via an element type that is used nowhere else, and have the skill do b.mhp damage, no variance. Then for enemies that you want to not take full damage from, make them resistant to that element. So if you want them to still take say 10% damage, just give them element rate * 10%.

Plus doing it this way you could, with an absorption plug-in, make it so that the skill could heal instead.

atoms and Finnuval like this.
  12. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @atoms @bgillisp thanks guys. I'll look at both your methods and see what works best for me :)

atoms likes this.
  13. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp Sounds a better method to me, and interesting approach to this! But yes, @Finnuval see what works best for you

@SolonWise It might not be original, but you could try and come up with your own skillsets for the stances, or otherwise, it may work fine as not everything has to always be original, it may still work. Good luck.

Finnuval and SolonWise like this.
  14. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @atoms
    But the skillsets of each stance is original. I made the skills myself. :)

atoms likes this.
  15. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ether Mark: Deals 140% arcane damage and place Ether Mark state to an enemy.
    Ether Mark (State): If the enemy gets hits by another attack, deals 10% additional arcane damage based on the damage dealt (if you hit for 200 damage, it will be 220). Only last for one hit.

Upgrade 1 - Cursed mark: Ether Marked enemy will have their armor rating reduce to zero.
    Upgrade 2 - Stasis Field: Ether Mark stuns an enemy. Guarantee to hit the maximum damage variance. Only valid for one hit.
    Upgrade 3 - Astral Bane: Ether Mark has a chance to instant kill (non-boss) based on its missing hp, up to 50% chance.

-----
    Damper Sphere: Increase armor rating by 10%, additionally armor becomes unbreakable. Last for 3 turns.

Upgrade 1 - Reflective Barrier: Repel all the damage that gets absorbed by the armor back to the enemy. (If you get 100 damage, shield reduce 20 damage, the 20 damage will be repelled back).
    Upgrade 2 - Null Sphere: While the barrier is in effect, immune to all debuff effects.

-----
    Moon Beam: Deals 140% arcane damage

Upgrade 1 - Null Lance: Removes all buffs from the target
    Upgrade 2 - Spectral Expert: Moon Beam ignores armor

-----
    I still have some but I'm going to need to explain my two rows system first before any of those are going to make sense though.

xdan likes this.
  16. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's a third approach and it's pretty much copypasta:

Code:
    c = b.isActor() ? b.actor() : b.enemy(); c.meta.Boss ? YOUR_DAMAGE_FORMULA_HERE : b.hp
    Put that into your skill's damage formula, then take the following steps:
    1. Set variance to 0% and no damage type. Certain hit would probably be ideal, too unless you want this to be potentially dodgeable.
    2. Replace YOUR_DAMAGE_FORMULA_HERE with the damage formula to be used vs bosses/removal-immune targets: (a.mat * 3 - b.mdf) or whatever.
    3. Add the note tag <Boss> to any target (player or foe) that should be immune to the removal part and they will take formula-based damage from it instead. If you want to use a different note tag, replace c.meta.Boss with whatever other note tag you want. Be aware that, since it's using the meta property instead of the custom note tag parsing functions plugin developers like to make, this note tag is case sensitive. <Boss> will work, <boss> will not.
    Good luck. :D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    atoms and Finnuval like this.
  17. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Aesica thank you for that very clear example/explanation :D

Aesica likes this.
  18. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Just a reminder to everyone - this section is not about discussing implementation.

19. MrZalgo

MrZalgo I am not Edgy, I am Fabulous Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Having started development on my title, I have brainstormed a few interesting skills.

The main character will obtain standard skills as he lvls up, however he will eventually obtain memories that add skills that are far more interesting and can level up the more you use that specific memory.

One for example would be:

Reality Warp: The game will basically roll an RNG dice that dictates the reality being warped and who it will affect. It could set a goblin on fire or give him a cripple debuff or anything of the sort. However, the changes in Reality is chaotic and could affect anyone within the battle system, so players will have to utilize an item or give the ability some lvls to change up some skills or lessen the impact it will have on allies.

20. Tech

Tech Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Enchanted Weapon: A skill that adds your MATK to ATK. It also allows you to choose the element you want to hit the enemy with. It has two variants, Bessed and Cursed, which add Dark and Light damage by default.
    Contagion: Hit an enemy with a self-replicating DoT and "attack ally" debuff. The enemy attacks their friend, who attacks another, and eventually, the whole enemy party is brawling with itself.