Post your judging scores here

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Kryzon, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Polite Whale

Polite Whale A newer and bigger whale! Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Also haven't received it yet, saddly. :p

2. TerminusEst13

TerminusEst13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Happy new year! We've officially surpassed the amount of time it took to judge the results.

...I say that, but I'm mostly teasing. Hopefully the judges are enjoying their holidays and having a good time with their families. :D

And then afterwards finally send us our results

EternalShadow likes this.
  3. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I was told that you guys were emailed already. Maybe it got caught in spam?

4. NickMakesGames

NickMakesGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My spam folder auto-empties after a month, so unless it was sent during December, I'm afraid I won't be able to find anything. I feel bad forcing you to act as a messenger pigeon, but perhaps the original e-mails are stored in the judges outboxes somewhere? If so, I doubt it would be too much trouble to resend those e-mails. Otherwise, if they have most of us marked down as given feedback, I suggest that we just let this one go. Archeia and the judges have been working long and hard on this thing, and it would be kind of ridiculous and unfair to ask them to completely re-do an entire batch of work.

5. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    You guys should've gotten a new one since the emails were resent.

6. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've not gotten mine either Archeia and I check my spam folder regularly.

7. Deckiller

Deckiller Phoenix Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi, mlogan! Which game was yours? I'll go ahead and get the results for you :)

Also, I'm going to PM the rest of you here directly with your scores to make this process easier.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
  8. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  9. Deckiller

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sure, that would be great!

The feedback process for the next contest will be a lot more efficient. Unfortunately this time we were pleasantly surprised by the amount of submissions so it's taken some time to sift through everything. Plus, as some of you are probably aware I was dealing with some health problems so unfortunately that lagged us behind as well.

10. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh I completely understand. I cannot imagine what you guys put into it throughout the judging process. I appreciate that you took the time to make any notes and are willing to provide them. I can imagine that this was a HUGE learning experience for all.

11. NickMakesGames

First Language:
    English
    I've also not got mine in my inbox or spam filter. Deckiller, can I PM you my game/e-mail address as well, or are you only working with RPG submissions?

12. valkill101

valkill101 Alien Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I received a reply today, but unfortunately it didn't make the cut. :(

(Last Hour of Fairfield): http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/381#.U7R1HfldUvI

(Did not pass)(No Score to submit)

Here's the email:

Thanks for reaching out and for your submission!

Unfortunately, The Last Hour of Fairfield did not make it to the scoring phase of the judging. The screener noted that the atmosphere looked good (e.g. the lighting effects, tileset usage, etc.) but that there were missing files that prevented progress. The game would have likely passed screening otherwise. Additionally, they noted that the slow crawling text and extremely slow pacing at the beginning hurt immersion.

Thanks again for participating and best of luck in the future!

Best Regards,

Tyler

RPG Maker Web

Still, I've learned a lot from this so hopefully I'll be better prepared if and when there's a next one. :)

Kryzon likes this.
  13. Deckiller

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi there! Yours was Spectr, correct? I actually just sent that one to you a little while ago and I've also re-sent here on the forums via PM.

14. catchthefloaty

catchthefloaty Villager Member

15. NickMakesGames

First Language:
    English
    ah, I just got it! Thank you so much! I know you and the rest of the staff has probably been a bit stressed over this - I really appreciate that you stayed dedicated and followed through on your promises despite the surprisingly overwhelming responses.

I'll go ahead and post my feedback publicly, because it contains some valuable advice that I think everybody should be allowed to benefit from, not just me.

The game Spectr scored a 10 for presentation, 13 for gameplay, and 12 for fun factor from one judge (35/60), and a 10 for presentation, 16 for gameplay, and 13 for fun factor (39/60) from the other judge. The judges enjoyed the Metroid-esque responsiveness of the controls, especially the precision jumping/wall jumping, as well as the overall simplicity of the game and the interface. They noted the old school music as being charming, though they did find the graphics somewhat uneven. The look was stylistic and retro enough but the colors seemed a little off. The main draw of the game was the simple mechanics being used in increasingly clever ways, much like a good Metroid or Mario platformer.

Kryzon likes this.
  16. Deckiller

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Absolutely! I'll be looking into this throughout the day and weekend.

I believe at this time all e-mails I received have been repsonded to, with maybe 2-3 exceptions. Some may not have been received on our end because we receive a lot of automated replies from our e-mail system from various services. If you'd still like your score and comments, feel free to e-mail info@rpgmakerweb.com or PM me directly so we can get that you way without any further delay.

Also, I still have a few keys to give away for people requesting feedback. ;)

17. TerminusEst13

TerminusEst13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
  18. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) Resident Weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yay, I got my feedback! Thanks so much Deckiller. I'm going to post my feedback openly too.

Yay. Thanks for the response. Hopefully I can improve this for later iterations. Cheers!

Kryzon, Susan and Dreadshadow like this.
  19. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I still haven't received the scores/feedback for my game, despite emailing you guys, posting here a few times, and sending PMs.  Perhaps you guys missed me because I haven't posted in the last couple weeks?  Either way, I'd really appreciate a PM or email with the feedback.  It's exciting to know I'm probably going to get it very soon now.  Thank you! :)

By the way, big congrats to you guys scoring in the 30s and 40s, pretty respectable and probably well-deserved on your hard work.  Hope I did that well!

20. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I am on Cloud Nine right now.

---

Thanks for reaching out, and huge apologies for taking so long to get back to you.

The game Timeblazer scored exceptionally high in the contest: a 41/60 from one judge and a 48/60 from the other judge. The gameplay and quality of the writing were praised, particularly the action-packed minigames. However, the judges felt the controls could have been more responsive. The presentation scored somewhat lower than the other categories; the judges felt the controls and directions for the minigames could have been better articulated, and the mapping/areas were noted for being underdeveloped. Some of the menus/visuals were also noted for being rather basic and underdeveloped. Nevertheless, the judges had fun with the game despite some polish issues mentioned above.

Thanks for your submission and best of luck in the future!

---

It's quite an honor to receive the praise and scores, and feels vindicating after the hundreds of hours I passionately poured into creating the game.  The many dings I took on presentation and polish are totally fair; with such a tight deadline, I chose to singlemindedly focus on creating the most fun and novel game that I could, and so I let the presentation fall by the wayside until the final few days.  Next time I enter a contest like this, I'm looking for a team on day one!

Kryzon and Susan like this.