Post Your Music

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just saying this before I start. I want to give feedback to people, but, I won't continue to give feedback to people who repeatedly just post their tracks and don't bother to give others feedback.  

This thread was originally made for people to help each other out and share their thoughts on each others work, just posting your track for soundcloud plays and leaving defeats the point.  So please people, let's work together to bring this thread back to being about feedback and constructive criticism.

Right then let's get started :)

@MisterBigT - Victory - That's an interesting vocal sound you have there and I think the use of choirs is pretty solid throughout.  I don't really have any suggestions for improvements for this one and everything I hear is perfectly fine to me.

@Nightling - Nenupha - This has a nice cinematic sound to it and everything is well produced.  The only suggestion I might have is maybe doing more for the variations, as it is it would be fine in a game or movie but listening to it's own makes me want to hear more dramatic changes in the track so as to keep my interest.

@Dimitris - Before I start here, I'd appreciate it if you could use soundcloud embeds like everyone else so that when I have a lot of tracks to listen to like this time, it's much much easier.  Onto the feedback anyway:

This is pretty good for the most part, the kick drum is just a tiny bit too hard hitting for my personal tastes and neither the melody or the beat vary enough for me.  I appreciate that you want that dance music like kick drum pulse, but, you can still vary that up just a bit by just slightly changing the timing every so often.  The lead melody can benefit from: more changes in the way it's played, what synth it's played on and how often it comes into it because at the moment it's pretty constant.  I will say one thing though, I really really like the bass sound.

@Dialga 22239 - Pokemon track - It's got a nice interesting quirky sound to it but that piccolo/flute/wind instrument is going too high and hurting my ears.  I'd lower it an octave and possibly use a different instrument if you have one with a better sound.  Similar deal with the solo cello though that's not so bad in comparison.  Overall I would have enjoyed this track much more with better quality soundfonts.

Fly to mini game - This was going really really well until that triangle/ride cymbal/chime hit thing came in.  Replace that with something less harsh sounding and I think you'll have a nice solid piece of music here :)

@MrBigT (Round 2) - Clubbing - I would complain about it being too repetitive but it is club music, I do wish the beat had changed up a bit earlier on though as there's definitely still room for that.  I love the production quality again here and I guess my only other complaint is that the really high pitched synth could use a bit of toning down.  Otherwise I quite like it.

Here's another one of mine, the boss battle theme from Incitement 3:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  2. Dimitris

Dimitris Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @mister big t Your end credits song is sooooo good! Nice harp melody and that stressfull melody played by cello. Love the female vocals, what program did you use?

@Dialga22239 Your Pokemon Mystery Dungeon reminds me a lot the style of Chrono Trigger and that is amazing. The song makes you imagine like you're travelling with an airship! Good job!

@Scythuz Love the guitar in Threat Level Elevated, nice right hand picking and the production is great. I really can't figure out if it is physically played or it is vsti. The strings compliment your melody which create a stressful feeling. I can imagine the song being played during a cutscene at a major plot twist! I also checked a few of your other songs and Raja of Bhaga immediately caught my attention. Very eastern-y, "I travel through the desert" kind of feel. I love the songs that make you imagine faraway lands without the need to analyse the music. Can I ask what kinds of programs and sounds you use for composition?

Scythuz likes this.
  3. Scythuz

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks!  It is actually a sample library and not a real guitar, the library is called Shreddage 2 and I used Guitar Rig 5 for the amp simulation and effects.  I used to play guitar for a few years so it's made emulating one with Shreddage 2 a bit easier, I wouldn't say it's anywhere near perfect though.

For my software I use the hideously out of date Pro Tools 8 M-Powered hooked up to Vienna Ensemble for the performance boost and so I can use VSTs and stuff.

For my plugins etc I use Native Instruments Komplete 9 (10 is the current one that's out and I recommend this for electronic stuff in particular if you don't have it already), Vienna Symphonic Library (for the orchestral stuff), Impact Soundworks Shreddage 2 as I mentioned above and East West Ra (for the world instruments in Raja of Bhaga).  I also use the Vienna Suite for my eq, compression, reverb etc. 

I'm sorry if any of my criticism has came across as harsh by the way, I'm pretty blunt but it is just to help you out really :)

Bukarett and Dimitris like this.
  4. Dimitris

Dimitris Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @scythuz Nice! Though most of these programs are out of my price range, it's nice to know what helps people make good art. I have used Guitar Rig 4+5 but I find that I only like its acoustic amps and patches. For more heavy stuff I prefer guitar impulses and good compression! Weird, I know. Do you think, for a guy like me who used Cubase since 2002, is good investment to move on Pro Tools? I know that all professionals use it but I don't know its learning curve and if it actually is worth it.

As far as constructive criticism, I welcome it wherever I can take it. I am self taught and it really helps a lot! Thanks mate, keep making good music!

5. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [SIZE=10.5pt]Indeed. I would also like to stress and agree that this thread survives off interaction with each other. Giving each other feedback is the best way to interact and have others listen and give thoughtful comments on your songs as well. I know there are a lot of songs to go through at times, but if you pick a couple or work through the ones on the current page it will keep the thread a lot more active. I've seen this place fall dead for weeks to a month at a time because people often post a song and just leave.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I do not mean to sound cold but for the most part I only reply to those who are interacting in the thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]@Scythuz[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] Great rhythms in this. The string section gives me a “Lux Aterna” feeling. And I really love the riffs played at the :40 mark. Really driving it home with a heroic feeling. My headphones (or my ears for that matter) don’t have a lot of [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]bass. But I think that is the only thing I notice, is that the bass end is light. But I’m pretty sure if I popped my headphones out it’s fine. You know how it goes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]@ Dialga[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] I have to agree with Scythuz that the flute/piccolo patch is rather piercing, especially when it really climbs in the high note in the introduction. It may be better to use a higher member of the string family as the high range on that cello patch is really grating. I also think some of the panning on these patches is too extreme. For example, the trumpet is just really in the left ear most of the time. But, this is a wonderful piece from the Pokemon series. The actual arrangement is very lovely.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Same thing goes for the ride cymbal in “Fly to mini game” I think you need to pan that to the center and most of the issue with it would be fixed. But the composition itself is great.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]@Mister Big T [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]“Victory”[/SIZE] [SIZE=10.5pt]I love that voice effect! It’s beautiful. I love the composition too. Really interesting chord changes and cinematic touches throughout. The only thing  I can think of is that it doesn’t really sound like a victory theme to me. But I really do enjoy the strings and voices in this a lot. “Title” I hear that it uses the same motif. I’m a huge fan of OSTs that reuse important themes. I love that it has the more subdued drums and strings. “Clubbing” I really like this. It does repeat a lot but what is in there is fantastic. I agree though, I would like to hear a snyth on the high end for some flavor. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]@Nightling [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]I love how ambient this is almost. Sounds like it could be the title screen of a shooter, easily. The big booms are very pleasant and there is good texture from the synths throughout. That chord change at :55, as simple a chord move it was, was awesome. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]@Dimitris [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]The introduction is a little repetitive and mostly a kick drum. But once we get to actual synth stuff, a lot of really interesting melody starts. I like that that twangy patch is doing, a lot! Throwing in a different kick pattern or some ride cymbals/snares once in a while would really spice it up without it losing any simplicity.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The second song has a lot of interesting patches in it. Again, all this really needs is a little more variation in the rhythm sections but the actual lead synth is quite cool. I think tracks with a lot of simple patterns and repetition benefit when a complex part comes from somewhere, and the drums are an easy way to add variation when all the other rhythms are so locked in.[/SIZE]

Ok, well. There is that. I have a new/old piece. This is a rewrite of a song that I am using in my side project. I’m going to use this during the melody mapping contest. Think, “not so scary haunted house.”

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
    Non, Dimitris and Scythuz like this.
  6. Scythuz

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Nah you don't need Pro Tools, even FL Studio or Reaper would do just fine.  Cubase was pretty good the last time I tried it out too!  My advice to you would be to wait until Komplete 10 inevitably goes on offer and then get that since it covers pretty much everything orchestral, electronic, modern and world.  

Bukarett and Dimitris like this.
  7. Blinn

Blinn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    At least this forum has a music thread, but I don't know about sound effects. Well, since I do both, here's my Soundcloud: :)

https://soundcloud.com/autistic-lucario

^ All the sound effects in Magician's Library are homemade.

8. Scythuz

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks Meg, I'm glad you agree.  I also don't think you sounded cold, sometimes firmness is the only way.  Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad you liked the track, I think I may have put a bit less bass on this one than usual so that the guitar had more room to breath so it could be that too.

Regarding your track: I really like the playfulness, there's a very specific other theme it's reminding me of that isn't coming to mind at the moment.  It's got a nice baroque-ish feel to it and the only thing I'm unsure about is the instrument that is most likely an english horn.  I would suggest either lowering it's overall attack or using the expression controller to cut out some of the honk at the beginning, this same technique works well for any oboe family instrument which you don't want to sound too honky.  I'm mainly talking about this for the more sustained lines of course, not the staccato ones.  That being said Meg, if you ever do a Zelda cover, leave those honks in ;)

Hi there, thanks for posting but do you mind only posting one or two tracks at a time from now on?  This is a place to gather and give feedback so it's best to just post a bit at a time rather than your whole soundcloud account.  Also might I suggest you take the time to listen to some other peoples tracks and leave feedback on them?  You're more likely to get helpful feedback if you give other people helpful feedback too.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about sound effects but what you have there does sound quite good.  Your ambient stuff sounds very appropriate for use too. Sorry if this isn't all that helpful, but, I think you'll get better feedback if you post music instead of sound effects from now on, sound effects are kind of hard to critique properly anyway due to how short they are.

Bukarett, Blinn and Ms Littlefish like this.
  9. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, sure. That's a pretty painless edit. XD

I'll give it a go. The song does have a lot of "squeakiness" on purpose because of its setting, but I had to dial back a lot of so it was still pleasing to others. I can't expect everyone to appreciate my musical sense of humor, because otherwise I'd totally have left the other instruments as squeaky as they were. So, little more then.

Scythuz likes this.
  10. Blinn

Blinn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @ Scythuz

Sure thing, I'll bear that in mind next time. Sound effects are indeed harder to critique than music on their own if they're not already part of something else, like an animation. Also, I'll be sure to give other peoples' tracks some good feedback. I'll admit to being cautious when it comes to giving feedback to someone else's music.

Scythuz likes this.
  11. cwglassmusic

cwglassmusic Composer Member

First Language:
    English
  12. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So there's this contest in this site about making a song of only 1:05 minutes long and less. I tried my hand with these three pieces, all of which are entirely different. The "One" should loop pretty good.

EDIT: This is the first time I've tried to make "final stage/dungeon" theme of utmost evil.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015
  13. ElectroGorillaBear

ElectroGorillaBear Warper Member

First Language:
    English
  14. rasenki971

rasenki971 Warper Member

First Language:
    French, English
    Hello Everyone!

I'm a video game music composer and thanks to Schematist i create my Rpg's town theme music

What do you think ?

15. Sketch XII

Sketch XII Sketchy Veteran

First Language:
    English
  16. Cyreides

Cyreides Producer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    These last two are definitely my favorite. I love the feeling I get from these, especially the Final Level piece. I'm a sucker for darker compositions like that.

Anyways, here's a couple short pieces I've put together. The first one is sort of like a small continuation of this.

https://soundcloud.com/cyreides/hunted

Second one is just something I did today, much different tone than I normally go for but I thought it was interesting enough to keep.

https://soundcloud.com/cyreides/intrigue

Dimitris likes this.
  17. Cheeto-senpai

Cheeto-senpai Warper Member

The land of hockey and extraneous letters.
    First Language:
    Canadianese
    I've been doing the anon-lurk routine on this thread ever since I picked up VX Ace for three pennies and some pocket lint on Steam. Just wanted to say that you guys/gals/space aliens are awesome, and you make great music. :)

18. Dibur

Dibur Potato Orchestrator Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi music wizards!  I'm a composer and I'm new here, so I guess naturally I'm gravitating to the musician crowd.  Just perusing some of the works in this thread, I've already found lots of awesome work...  I will most definitely browse through everyone's work when I have a bit of free time, and I hope to give and receive useful feedback so we can all grow and learn from each other and all that good stuff.

I guess I'll post a couple of my recent favorite tracks for starts. ^^

https://soundcloud.com/dbgm/to-the-dark-horizon

https://soundcloud.com/dbgm/until-the-bitter-end

Ms Littlefish, Cyreides and Dimitris like this.
  19. Dimitris

Dimitris Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Dibur Dude, these two songs are amazing! Very professional and I like that odd time feeling in the second one! I've heard a few songs from your Soundcloud page, Lonely Winter is a beautiful piano piece, Reclaimed OST is heavy influenced by Final Fantasy and FF is my favorite rpg, so good job! Keep it up!!

@Cyreides You have that dark vibe going on with your songs and I bet we can talk about a lot of things you and I. Dark soundscapes is my basis as a composer. Your Dreadful Beauty is amazing. Good job!

Cyreides likes this.
  20. Cyreides

Cyreides Producer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I only wish my orchestral pieces were this good...

@Dimitris, Thank you! I myself try to work with dark soundscapes constantly as well. I find it's typically my best work as opposed to some of the more upbeat things I've put together.

Anyways, here's a new thing I did for my upcoming EP the Coldest Winter

https://soundcloud.com/cyreides/sweet-dreams-free-download

Dimitris likes this.