Post Your Music

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Cyreides

Cyreides Producer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ain't that the truth

This is my favorite out of the ones you posted. Bits and pieces of the intro remind me of Star Wars... and then suddenly it's like a Final Fantasy/Skyrim vibe to it. I love it. Wonderfully orchestrated.

2. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    tylerrywill, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you. Also, please avoid large quotes. To avoid confusion just type @name before replying to them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015
  3. Reposer

Reposer Composer, Cool Guy Member

First Language:
    English
    So I've made a song that's meant to be for a final area, and melded into the boss (I.e. you start the encounter via cutscene/talking and music stays the same as the area music) and I wanted to ask for feedback and show it off :p

Here's the song: https://soundcloud.com/the-reposer/final-boss

I also made a short demo to test out an endgame enemy and special weapons and the like, with the music in it. I was wondering where the correct place to post that sort of thing would be?

Cyreides likes this.
  4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It goes here. I moved it for you. ^_^

5. tylerrywill

tylerrywill Tyler WIll Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I will keep this in mind, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015
  6. Reposer

First Language:
    English
    Oh, hey, it's in this thread now, thanks for the move, Sharm! I've actually made another bit of BGM since posting this, well 2 different ones, but one is meant to lead up to the Final Boss, and is used as an outer area theme, instrumental only, and without as much as the FInal Boss theme has. That one is here:

And the other one I'm undecided on what I'll use it for. I made it with the mindset of being a town theme, but the way it ended up sounding, I'm thinking it may work for something like a shop theme, what do you guys think? It's here:

7. Cyreides

First Language:
    English
    @Reposer sounds pretty nice. Like the simplistic nature of it and the atmosphere

8. Reposer

First Language:
    English
    Alrighty, got a slight text wall, if you don't mind, I have a few new songs to show, but on top of that, I wanted to give feedback on most of the songs from the last page, so here it is!

@Housekeeping: I really like the way that throughout the main of Snake Charmer, it's a softer, more background sort of noise, which makes it a bit more pleasing to listen to during a fight. Then it gets to the parts where it, how do you say, puts more into itt, and helps to pump up the player, which I really liked. Good job! It's very odd too, compared to what is usually put into a battle theme, which is nice. One small thing is that, in my opinion, maybe only mine, it starts off very loud and aggressive, which is fine, but it should be faded in or the sort to keep it from just popping straight in. But it's not that huge of a deal, so not much to worry about, and it does sound nice at that part.

@Mostly Useless: I really like the tone that your songs set, with a very ambient sound to them. They sound really nice, and meld into the background perfectly, so whatever the circumstance, it helps to promote energy into the listeneer, without providing any form of distraction. These are definitely songs that I would just listen to in my spare time, and my favorite is Patterns. Nice work!

@Dimitris: I really enjoy that song, reminds me perfectly of something from that time period, you hit your goal perfectly! I've always really liked the softer stuff anyways, but that is 100% free time or working music for me. It could fit in pretty much any circumstance, too, because it's so free-flowing, which I enjoy profusely. Great work on it, I'm a lil jealous :p

@Clydous: That song definitely works for a prelude, and would be great at stirring up proper emotion for a player, reminds me somewhat of what the early FFs did, and it sounds really nice, I definitely enjoy it!

@Cyreides: Wow, only listened to Strange Winds so far, but I thouroughly enjoyed the atmosphere you put into it, sounds really amazing. I like the way that you start it off un-naturally, compared to what is usually done, with the wind blowing. Then I like the melodies you put in, and the great use of effects, for drops mid-melody, sounds amazing! And I also love those drums, they fit perfectly, I'm still learning what kinds of drums to use where, so it sounds awesome! Great work, and congrats on releasing your EP!

@Drassray: I do really like them, I would use em for certain areas, Personification 2 reminds me of something that would be good for a bar/pub setting, something that a band up front is playing. I enjoy them a lot! Good job!

@TylerryWill: As you've likely gleamed at this point, I love ambience in music, and yours is no eception, I really like Ancient Stories, and the choir that comes in melds amazingly, and really helps to set the tone of the song, I could easily see that being a theme for a ruined temple, or something of the sort. Great work on all of them!

Dimitris and Cyreides like this.
  9. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So, if you like my music, I posted the entire soundtracks to Born Under the Rain and The Heart Pumps Clay last night:

https://kaseyozymy.bandcamp.com/

Downloads say "buy now," but it's set to pay if you want.  I would have just set it to free completely, but there's a monthly download limit, so I figured I should give the option at least.  You should be able to stream however much you want, though.  Definitely give March of the Beetle Army from The Heart Pumps Clay a listen; that's probably my favorite boss theme I've composed so far.  I also think that Top Secret Base from Born Under the Rain is a pretty rad level track, though it's not as complex.

@Reposer: I think that piece can be used for a town, but it has to be the right kind of town.  Definitely something futuristic.  There's also something a little shady going on with that track, like it's a town that's under the control of an oppressive regime and you're undercover there.  Oh, and with regard to Snake Charmer: there's a little flutey lead-in that plays before each fight, so there's kind of a lead-in to the beginning.  The end also matches the dynamics of the beginning, so it loops well.  The feeling I was trying to portray in that section was "exhilaration," which might be watered down a bit with a fade in, but I get where you're coming from.  Most of my play with dynamics involves using it for the sake of contrasting rather than blending, but I better not let that become a personal cliche, haha.  Thanks for the feedback!

@Tylerrywill: These are pretty good workhorse tracks--I think you might have trouble looping them if you're going to put them in a game, though.  They do tend to veer towards the cliche/sentimental at times, which has a place, but with, like, the chimes/gong at the beginning of Discovering the Woodland Realm, it kind of reads as stock sounds to me.  Finding the Portal was probably my favorite piece from the lot.  It's still familiar sounding, but you seemed to have more fun with the instrumentation.

@drassray: Yeah, those'd fit right at home in Persona, haha.  I kind of want that guitar in the middle of the first track to go into a lead or a repeating riff with that tone, but that's probably not the best thing for the song. 

@Mister Big T: That early progression feels a bit aimless to me.  It definitely sounds neoclassical, but it doesn't read "battle theme" to me.  I think you might be relying on the guitar tone and drums to supply the tension in the track, but it needs a more appropriate chord progression like how you're doing around 3:45 when you're shifting keys back and forth by a minor third.  The lead guitar sounds a bit thin around there, by the way, but I've had trouble finding a good lead guitar tone in a sequencing program myself.

10. Reposer

First Language:
    English
    @Housekeeping: Ah, alright, if it has a lead in going to it, then it's fine, and I didn't actually think of the looping. I may end up doing something like that for the town theme, then, thanks! Didn't even think of something of that sort.

And without further ado, next 2 songs are ready. The first one is meant to be for a cave theme, something nice and airy, to give a good feeling:

The other one was made with a normal battle theme in mind, but it ended up being something I'd prefer to use for boss fights:

I've got a playlist set up for all my RPG Maker Music now too, under the account that these lead you to, so that's an easy way to find any of the songs in the future, if you ever want to for some weird reason.

11. tylerrywill

tylerrywill Tyler WIll Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Cyreides Thank you for listening and for the feedback! I pride myself in orchestration, so I am glad it came off well to you. Jeremy Soule is one of my big influences from the video game world, that is a big compliment to me! :) I am looking forward to hearing more of your music!

@Reposer First off, great stuff man. Definitely has a good feel to it. I'd love to hear some more of your sentimental stuff, as we kind of get a glimpse of in Final Boss.I loved that song! Great production quality there by the way. Secondly, Thank you for the feedback! I love ambience as well, but always find it challenging to write. However I am about to release an EP of different ambiences on BandCamp. Looking forward to it! Thank you for the feedback on Ancient Stories. 

@Housekeeping Cool stuff! You write some pretty complex rhythms which is always interesting. All of your music sounds pretty similar to me (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), so I'd love to hear what you can do without the crazy technical percussion. Overall cool though. 

@Housekeeping Thanks for the feedback even though it was negative! We all have different tastes in music, which is  fine by me! However cliche, it is borderline offensive as it is never good to be cliche haha. I've been told a million things about my music, but cliche is never one of them. I strive to stay away from cliche. The majority of the chord progressions I use, I come up with, and are definitely not cliche ones. Instrumentation, well I tend to take after Bizet's method of orchestration so if it sounds cliche in that way then I take that as a compliment! :) The bells/gong/pizzicato strings/flute is an orchestration technique I developed after years of listening to successful video game composers and studying orchestration, and is supposed to have a certain light fantasy feel to it, I am sorry it did not come off to you. Interestingly, though, Finding the portal uses almost the exact same instrumentation as the beginning of Woodland Realm, so I wonder why it didn't coe off to you as cliche that time. Stock sounds.... i guess that's.. well I don't know. Most of my tracks right now are meant to serve more as title tracks than looping, in game tracks. They definitely would have trouble being looped I agree haha :) Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
  12. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @tyler: It was specifically the chimes and gong that occur during Woodland Realm that sounded a bit stock to me--the chimes more than anything (they happen at :22).  I've just heard those in that context (entering a magical realm of wonder) too often (they also come up in 80s monster ballads from time to time).  Your stuff is well-composed; it just sounds very familiar to my ear.  You're doing a good job of emulating this type of music, but it's just hard to see your stamp on it is all. That might be just me not really being into this kind of music; I'd have a hard time differentiating bluegrass artists, too.

@reposer: It takes a second for me to get the cavern aspect (comes in with that big muddy chord around :55), but once it's there, the track sounds appropriate.  Nice groove on that one.  Drastic Measures sounds a bit more like a level theme than a battle theme to me, but my battle themes tend to be pretty bombastic, so I'm probably not very objective.

13. Cyreides

First Language:
    English
    @Reposer

Drastic Measures is very nice, love that it has this sort of electro hip hop feel to it. Dark Cavern's not bad either. I think it's does feel like more of a level theme as Housekeeping said tho, but it could work as a boss theme too I suppose

Anyways, this is a work in progress. I've been trying to work with vocals a lot lately to change up stuff with my production so here we go

https://soundcloud.com/cyreides/how-can-you/s-Pbvfw

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2015
    Reposer likes this.
  14. Reposer

First Language:
    English
    @Housekeeping/Cyreides: Yea, I re-listened to it after reading that and it does feel that way moreso than a boss theme. I may just use it for a later on dungeon-type area, thanks! I need to work on my battle music skills, cause I have 3 new songs, 2 of which I started off trying to make fight music and it turned into not fighty music >:[

Anywhos, here's them, any feedback is appreciated and the like!

The first one is meant to be for a single area, a house with someone playing piano, so that's all it is, nothing too fancy, hope it links together well:

The next one is made to be a desert theme, something for wandering, and my lil desert town as well. I started off going for battle then just said 'Nah'. Does it fit the bill for a desert?

Last one was also supposed to be a battle tune, but once again, it felt like not being one, I'm not sure how to describe the setting I'd use it in, but basically I feel like it'd be good for some area that's got crystals and glass around it, that type of deal. What do you think of this one?

Also, @Cryeides: The link isn't there, dunno if that means you just took it down quickly or what, but can't get to it, just heads up.

15. Cyreides

First Language:
    English

Wasn't sure about the desert theme until farther into the track. I'd say if you could bring some of those sounds in quicker from :50+ that'd help

I like it, and I'd say use it in an area where there's going to be fights, possibly a boss fight as opposed to like battle music or a town or just a general exploring kind of thing

For whatever reason, it seems like the player keeps breaking when I post it in that post so I just made it an actual link

Reposer likes this.
  16. Reposer

First Language:
    English
    @Cryeides: Ooh, I like that, it's like a blast from the past, I love it! Nice remix there, it's coming out amazingly. Also, I've updated 'Wasted Sands', here's the updated link, and I'll be editing the one up there as well:

Lemme know if it's any better, thanks!

Cyreides likes this.
  17. Cyreides

First Language:
    English
    ^Sounds like an improvement for sure.

Anyways, here's a short little preview thing I put together for my EP.

https://soundcloud.com/cyreides/just-breathe-preview

It's still pretty early tho and I don't even have the vocals from the features on it yet, so it's all pretty much a WIP.

18. Reposer

First Language:
    English
    @Cryeides: Wow, that's coming out amazingly, even without vocals I would sit down and listen to all of that, great work honestly, and I hope it comes out awesome!

I've also done a bit more stuff, two longer songs this time, I decided to try somewhat new things, one is kinda an ambient Drum&Bass song, don't honestly know what I'll use it for, or if I'll use it for RPG Maker, but I liked it, and making the cover on it was fun!

An off-note, this is my most liked song, two whole likes! It's gorgeous T^T

The other one is dubsteppy, and meant to be a boss theme, in hindsight maybe I coulda done a bit more with it but I feel as if it's just low enough to not be a huge distraction while fighting, imo at least. The cover on this one was fun too, I'm getting better at doing these!

Cyreides likes this.
  19. Dibur

Dibur Potato Orchestrator Member

First Language:
    English
    Finally got around to listening to some tracks 8)

@tylerrywill - I think you have a great ear for ambience/atmosphere, as well as orchestral arrangement.  Your strings sound very rich.  So far, "Finding the Portal" is one of your more interesting tunes to me, as it has a very cinematic feel, but is also game-y enough to feel at home in an adventure/exploration game.  I think that you could be a bit more daring with some of your melodic choices and chords, which could potentially be where some of that "cliche"-ness is coming from.  Great work so far, keep it up~

@Reposer - Hmm, so this style of music is not my typical cup of tea, but that's not to say it's objectively bad by any means.  I really like the combination of strings and female voice in your final boss song (actually, mind if I ask what string samples you're using in this one?  It sounds almost FF-esque).  The percussion is also very nicely done.  I think it could use an extra dose of bass strings to give it a more rounded presence.  So far, "Destruction" is my favorite tune of yours; it's got the aggressiveness that makes it fitting for a boss battle, and also representative of your style.  Overall, it sounds like you have your genre figured out, and you do it well.

@Cyreides - I checked out your WIP preview and it's very interesting and well done.  You have a very good ear for synths and electronic percussion.  I look forward to the EP. :)

And to top it off, here's a couple of tracks I've recently done:

https://soundcloud.com/dbgm/war-of-the-valkyries-2199-ad

https://soundcloud.com/dbgm/the-origin-of-magic-short-version

Both are from an in-progress game.  "War of the Valkyries" is meant to be an opening sequence overture thing that references some of the themes from the game (so it's a bit all over the place, heheh), while "The Origin of Magic" is probably going to end up as a dungeon theme.

Cyreides likes this.
  20. Reposer

First Language:
    English
    @Dibur: Wow, I really like what you've done with these pieces, they sound amazing! I especially like what you have going on with the opening theme, with it turning rock after a few seconds. Thanks for the feedback, and yea, I had some bass in there but don't know why I didn't continue with it. Prolly won't update the soundcloud, but I'll prolly put that in the .ogg version of it, for sure.  And the strings that I used were from Catooh's Movie Score vol. 12 pack, the sample itself is "Treading Strings B". I have it from Magix Music Maker, which is very nice for sample stuff, as they include a butt ton of samples with each version, and I've gone through two, so I have a lot from that, as well as a side program of theirs called "Music Maker Jam", in which the samples from there are compatible with Magix. On top of it, I don't own commercial licenses fro the Magix ones, but if I ever need them they're about 60 bucks for the grand slam, which is p. rad.