Post Your Music

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Archduke: Whereabouts at the beginning do you mean sorry?  I assume you mean the very beginning (pre 10 seconds) where there isn't much going on?

I'll also see if I can strengthen the transition a bit since it's probably a bit too sudden.  I've been a bit more held back than usual with reverb since I usually go too far with it but perhaps this time I've left the track too dry, particularly since there aren't too many instruments involved.  The solo violin used is Embertone Friedlander Violin, it's probably the best I've ever heard but it's also incredibly ram/processor intensive and you have to really 'fiddle' (ho ho!) with it to get a good sound out of it, so very worth the hassle though when you have the right track for it.  Being able to control vibrato and so many different articulations is just crazy.

@Reposer: I think we might be at the point where it's best to move onto a different track and possibly come back to this one later.  The new percussion is very sharp and loud compared to the rest of the track, it's really jarring so I think it would be better to come back to this track later since it seems like you need a break from it.  Sometimes it's better to leave a track alone for a bit or even just create a new one to replace it later with fresh ears.

@Necrox: Not the type of thing I'd expect to hear in a game necessarily but hey, there's no limits on that here so I'll go ahead and give feedback anyway.  

This is pretty cool once it gets going, I'd say the bass and drums are just a bit too loud and perhaps the drums could benefit from some sustain whether it be from transient master, delay, gated reverb or just changing the decay/release times on the envelope.  I feel like the parts where spoken dialogue is used could benefit greatly by some kind of pad, I'm pretty sure I can hear you using massive and other native instruments plugins so I'd recommend using pads from the soundscapes subcategory to fill out these parts, maybe even add some extremely mild textural percussion.  If you have absynth, that's another option too. Overall it's pretty cool and whilst on a personal level I'd like to see more melody in the track, it's not really 'game music' as you might expect it but, more contemporary.  So yeah, I'd say it's not a big deal to worry about. 

Reposer likes this.
  2. Reposer

Reposer Composer, Cool Guy Member

First Language:
    English
    @Scythus: Is the only thing off about it right now the percussives? I have another set I could try using, since I was indecisive of which to use, that's more oriented on kicks/bassy types of stuff. If there's more I won't bother but if that's the only off part about it I'm willing to try the other set. If that one is still eh I'll put it off to the side, though.

3. Archduke

Archduke Jack of all Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well, the first 15 seconds.

- Duke

4. Scythuz

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Reposer: There's still a need for more interesting sections and melody right now, that's kinda why I'm suggesting coming back to it, it'll make it much easier if you come back with a clear head and fresh ears :)

@Archduke: Okay, gotcha!

Reposer likes this.
  5. Necrox

Necrox Villager Member

@Scythuz I actually have nothing from NI lol. Thanks for the feedback; eq is definitely big with this style. Also, I think I did textural percussion for most of the pad parts. Where is the bass too loud? Why do the drums need ADSR/Delay? 

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2015
    Scythuz likes this.
  6. Demon God Démigra

Demon God Démigra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Does Utau count as music? It's making music using a voice as an instrument. (You must provide it with lyrics, notes, transitions, breathiness and gravel, velocity, vibrato, pitch bend, and more along with recording every voice sample yourself.)

My first custom Ust testing. I own the voice and Ust file and all edits made there. I do not own the song or lyrics. I may have gotten some of the lyrics wrong. I did the melody and lyrics by ear.

My first full song using a pre-made Ust which I made many further edits to so that it fit to my Utau's voice. I do not own the Ust or song/lyrics, but I do own all edits made to the Ust and the Utau itself.

And because I'm new at mixing, I can use some tips. I use Adobe Audition for mixing. I thank you for any feedback or critique. 

That being said, I do want to start making my own instrumental music, mostly because I want to make my original songs for my Utau to sing... But I don't know where to begin.

Reposer, Scythuz and Archduke like this.
  7. Scythuz

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Necrox: That's surprising, I guess there's even more crossover between synths than I thought, some of your synths sound a lot like presets from massive, reaktor, fm8.  The bass is too loud pretty much whenever it plays but at :51 to 1:14 is a good example area.  It's not way too loud or anything, just a little bit too loud. The drums have a nice tight sound but I feel like adding some kind of sustain (however you achieve it) to them would create a wider sounding mix.

@Demon God Démigra:  So I'm assuming from your description that you did nothing of the song in the background, you just did the vocal parts with your UTAU software?  If so I think the only thing I can say right now is that the vocals are overwhelming the background song a bit too much volume wise.

Demon God Démigra likes this.
  8. Demon God Démigra

First Language:
    English
    @Scythuz Indeed correct. The synthesized vocals are what I compose and mix. I'll try to soften the volume on the vocals next time around.

Here's my newest full song I made a few weeks ago, though it wasn't newer than my previous by much so I'm doubtful the mixing is better. This Utau voice isn't mine... Only the Ust edits and mix.

And here's the vocal composing I'm working on currently with my Utau.

http://picosong.com/jeF3/

Reposer likes this.
  9. Reposer

First Language:
    English
    @Demon God: I really like the way these are set up, I love the deeper voices on the first two a lot, and the complimenting backing music. Don't really have any critiques on it. Great work!

Made a few simpler things. Been working on one off to the side for a while now, Crescendo, but mostly had it just halted till a few days ago. Here's that one:

https://soundcloud.com/the-reposer/crescendo

The other is something I got a sample pack for today, and just whipped up a short thing. I made it in the mindset of some of the early 2000s/90s techno music. It's pretty simple yea, but that was the intention. It's an easier loop than a few of my things, and was made so that it's easy to just keep listening to without realizing it looped and all that. Anywhos, here that is!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. Demon God Démigra

First Language:
    English
    @Reposer

Your music reminds me of scores from Side-scrolling spaceship shooter games. Such as Zero Wing (Which has one of my favorite OSTs).

The deeper voice you like is my own, so I thank you for the compliment.

11. Archduke

First Language:
    English
    @Reposer: The main thing I can say is that both of these tracks can really be shortened to 1:30 to 2:00. I like the general themes/vibes, though!

- Duke

12. Scythuz

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Reposer:

Crescendo: Just a thought but, usually when people do this repetitive style for electronic music they also do some fun things with effects to the parts that are repeated.  Maybe you should pull out some automated phaser, distortion, bit-crusher effects on the lead you're using throughout the piece?  This track feels like by it's very nature it should be repetitive unlike the battle theme so I'm not being as harsh about variations as I usually would.  Only real complaint is the triangle (?), turn that down please :)  

Snapjaw: Oo I like the lead in this one, sounds a bit like one of the ones I used in Incitement 3.  Oh and then it goes all Blade and Mortal Kombat like haha.  This one I do think could use a bit more variation throughout, try having your melodies do something slightly different.  Start on a different note, go in a different direction e.g. ascend instead of descend.  Also I feel you over use the blade/mortal kombat sound-alike synth from :41 , 1:22 etc way too much.  I really really like the change at 2:03 though, that was well done.

Sorry I'm so tough on you by the way, I wouldn't do it if I didn't think your music had a lot of potential.

I've taken the time to make some changes to my previously shared track, Moonlit Grace.  It's set to private link only since, I don't want to spam multiple versions of the same song if I can help it: https://soundcloud.com/scythuz/moonlit-grace-v2/s-Enetn  Lemme know what you think, I won't have time to do much more on it thanks to commissions but hopefully it's an improvement!

Reposer likes this.
  13. Reposer

First Language:
    English
    @Scythus: Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was like Blade! And yea I can see some parts where I'm able to reduce that sound some more, namely the 1:22 section. I can lower the use of it or remove it there, I feel. I could replace it with the sequence at 2:03 but as an introduction, maybe? I.e. None of the pitchshifts, justtp the original one to accompany, or leave it to bass and drums. And then I'll see what I can do to the melodies aswell.

On Crescendo I can definitely do something like that. Editing the sound with something like those will be pretty easy. And yea, I listened to it again and the triangles are a bit loud, I'll be sure to adjust that.

And it's fine that you're a bit tough on me, it's not like I'm a heavily experienced composer, so I understand that it's easy for me to fault. And I like knowing the issues so I can fix them in current compositions and hopefully in the future ones!

Scythuz likes this.
  14. Scythuz

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Reposer: Yeah it sounds just like the synth in the iconic club scene haha!  I think you should be creating new types of the same melody more than anything, maybe add in some effects for extra emphasis.  Don't be afraid of using key changes when you're stuck.

Ah I'm glad you're okay with me being tough on you, some people don't like my overly blunt approach.

15. Medic

Medic Villager Member

First Language:
    English
  16. Archduke

First Language:
    English
    @Medic:

Swimming in a Square Ocean

This is just generally not very interesting melodically, if I'm being honest. There might also be a tad too much reverb. The progression of the track seems rather slow, kinda dragging the song on a bit as it outstays its welcome. The sounds are interesting, though.

Back To The Wind

This one I really like. It has a lot of very interesting elements that tie together in an interesting way. Unfortunately, they're all very out of key relative to each other and sound very disjointed as a whole. I really like where it's going and it has a lot of potential! It could also be shortened a bit, and maybe has too much reverb.

Dynobit Identity

The direction this one goes is very strange. It also seems very drawn out whilst not really going anywhere. I don't really know what to make of this, haha.

- Duke

17. Medic

Medic Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Archduke - Thanks for listening and thanks for the feedback!

Archduke likes this.
  18. Demon God Démigra

First Language:
    English
    @Medic

Out of those I like Swimming In Square Ocean best... It's very relaxing for some strange reason. Sounds like something I could zone out/meditate to. Though I find that 'yawning' sound in Dynobyt Identity interesting.

The other song is nice too.

19. Medic

Medic Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    @Demon God Demigra - thank you! It's always very interesting to get feedback from different people. I really appreciate it!! Helping people relax is one goal I have when writing certain things, so I'm glad you found something I wrote relaxing!

Right now I'm learning how to incorporate music in my games using IG Maker and it's a lot of fun, even if challenging. It seems the program only supports mono .wav files - can anyone verify that?

20. Reposer

First Language:
    English
    @Scythus: Y'know, I've never actually seen the movie itself, but I do know the scene, and definitely the song. My dad loves that movie! I own it, I just need to watch it one of these days :I

@Medic: Ooh, I really like the melody on 'Swimming', it's a little odd but in a good way! Once you get used to it it warms up to ya. I like the other two aswell a good bit, although I do feel like things are either slightly off-key or there's some odd instrument that's clashing? Can't quite put my finger on it, but it's a little off in terms of sound. I like the last one, Dynobit, quite a bit, but I like that kind of ambience :p

And dunno about IG Maker, VX Ace uses .ogg but not experienced in yours. If you need an easy way to get them in that format, if it's the issue, just use an online converter. Double check to make sure the website is considered safe, of course.

I have also updated the two songs! In Snapjaw, I added a backing guitar version of the 'Blade' melody to accompany it during thee part at 1:22, and I turned my main melody at the end part 'Psycho', except the final 8 bars, for looping purposes. Along with that I added a few small things like volume differences, and some more cymbal fx. Here's that:

Crescendo I didn't do QUITE as much on, but I did add a distorted and layered version of the main melody on for the second chorus, and adjusted volume on the triangles. Here ya go: