Post Your Music

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Archduke

Archduke Jack of all Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Metereo:

Welcome to the club!

I think overall this is pretty good. It could use some more variation and the volume levels are all over the place and very unbalanced, but I like it! It has a lot of potential as well.

- Duke

2. Hibarist

Hibarist Music Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @archduke: thank you, and yes,  i'm still learning to balance and masterize and all of that :p thanks for the tips:)

3. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Woah, this thread's been pretty busy.  Good to see!

@metereo: I like the pluckiness of this track--sounds like a happy little town.  I think it could benefit from more melodic variation, though.  Instead of having repeating patterns in the high register, have a melody that goes across several bars--I'd do this for the melody starting at :18.  If you're having trouble coming up with something, at least vary that pattern a bit so the ear gets taken places.

@Schematist: Like others are saying, the guitar could be up in the mix a bit.  That brassy instrument at the beginning feels like the wrong timbre, but when it comes up in the synth section later, it fits perfectly, so I'm not sure what I'd do with that (maybe adjusting the guitar would help this).  I love the direction of the song a lot, though, and the guitar melody is sweet.  I think the part at :23 sounds a little floaty, but then the pinch harmonics make that work.  God bless pinch harmonics.

@Blinn: You're making some interesting stuff, man.  I'd like to hear you go for something more melodic (mainly because I don't think I have the vocabulary to critique ambient pieces like that, haha).

@Necrox: Suddenly I'm in a cave in the original Dragon Warrior.

@Kaimen: This track is reminding me of goofy/spooky anime-type stuff (like Disgaea).  I like it--especially the drums at the beginning.  I'd personally prefer a different guitar tone; I'm not a big fan of super fuzzy guitars like that, though, so that's probably just personal preference.

Here's a new level theme I composed for Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass:

Cheeto-senpai and Hibarist like this.
  4. Necrox

Necrox Villager Member

@housekeeping that track makes me imagine a final fantasy I-like intro and then you are suddenly in a mountain town where all of the people and buildings are tutorials for the rest of the game (same music for both parts). It's a pretty nice and tranquil track. Btw, I've actually never heard of the game I sound like lol

5. Housekeeping

First Language:
    English
    What?!  Dragon Warrior (aka Dragon Quest) basically defined the jrpg!

6. Necrox

Necrox Villager Member

Ohhhhh, I've always known it as Dragon Quest

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  7. Reposer

Reposer Composer, Cool Guy Member

First Language:
    English
    Can't give any feedback for now, but I have a small thing I did a lil bit ago. I do a lot of random improvisations on GarageBand with the keyboard, so I decided to actually record one and see if it's decent. Now I didn't quantize it, and there are one or two small spots I missed a key, but nothing was too majorly odd when I listened to it, in my opinion, so I'm just posting it raw, since it was meant to be a quick thing and all that. I don't need much feedback, nothing serious, just wanted to know if I have a good theme with what I was doing. I'll prolly end up deleting it a lil later, but at least this way I'm not just randomly playing keyboard without purpose. Anyways, here's this:

https://soundcloud.com/the-reposer/improvisation-test

I basically just want some feedback on the melodies incorporated, and if it flowed decently, albeit with a lack of quanitzing or smoothing. I need to try doing some MIDI things in my home computer, but I'm always a bit worried to because samples are better sounding usually.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2015
  8. Housekeeping

First Language:
    English
    Next you're going to tell me that Final Fantasy 3 is actually Final Fantasy 6, haha.

Tuomo L and Necrox like this.
  9. Archduke

Archduke Jack of all Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Reposer: The melodies definitely didn't flow super well there, honestly. The chosen sound probably also isn't the best, but it's okay. I liked some parts of it as separate entities, though.

- Duke

10. Necrox

Necrox Villager Member

Actually, I know about the J vs US distinction for the first 6 Final Fantasies

11. Reposer

First Language:
    English
    @Archduke: Yea, it's fine that it doesn't sync up, I wasn't really making it so that it would, more like I was trying to combine various melodies that I could think of at the time. Are there any specific melodies that you like a lot, or likewise, any that you didn't really like? Just like, time periods work, and don't worry about how it matched up prior, just any spots you think had good melodies.

12. Necrox

Necrox Villager Member

@Reposer sure sounds better than my improv "jams" (jam teeth together is more like it)

Some WIPs I made today. I'm going to try to write multiple songs a week if I can.

Me experimenting with an awesome free orchestral soundfont

https://soundcloud.com/twilight-stream/random-orchestral-percussion-piece?in=twilight-stream/sets/wips

Some conceptual VGM. I think it would fit a scene where a character returns to a beach/shore area that is nostalgic/significant for some reason.

https://soundcloud.com/twilight-stream/quick-sketch-ii-by-the-shore?in=twilight-stream/sets/wips

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2015
  13. Reposer

First Language:
    English
    @Necrox: I really like both of these, and only have slight feedback. In the Orchestrael one, the midpoint has a slight jumble of sounds, it feels. It doesn't detrat too much however. The other one, it has too high a volume on the high pitched sound, but otherwise sounds amazing!

The things I have are two projects that I'd forgotten and recently fixed up to finish them off. The first one I have is prolly one of my simpler songs, but is very stable in sound design, I feel. Here's that:

The other one is a soundcloud project from awhile ago. Everything is my own playing, some of it sequenced and the pads, both of which were easy. The thing I'm decently happy about is the lead that comes in, I feel like I finally made one that works there.

Here's this: https://soundcloud.com/the-reposer/crestfallen

Cheeto-senpai likes this.
  14. Necrox

Necrox Villager Member

First post as a high school graduate!

@Reposer

Element sounds like something out of a club in London. It has that vibe seen all the time in 2 step/garage/whatever

Crestfallen

I'm no Melody Maestro, but the lead part seems a bit off harmonically. It's more in the progression than the individual notes.

15. Kaimen

Kaimen Noisemaker Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Reposer:

Element 
    I don't know what it is about that song, but I can't seem to get it out of my head. For some reason it reminds me of the stage themes from Tekken. That, and there's also a little Steel Reign (I guess no one knows that game, huh?), although only very slightly. It is simple, but that's its biggest plus. I don't have anything to criticize there. I love it. :)

Crestfallen

Uhh... okay. Interesting. Let's see... That synth that starts around 0:17-ish seems to be a little off. That, and it also sounds kinda weird. Might just be me though. The rest is alright. I understand that you played that in via keyboard, yes? If so, for what it is, it's okay. But there's definitely some unused potential in there.

-------------

Got something for you again this time. And boy, am I ever proud of that one. It may just be the product of me fooling around in Garageband all day but I gotta say, that was worth it. This one's the version without the extra guitar amps. I was told it sounds better without the guitar, and after listening to it I agreed. Fully. I was just too used to hearing the guitar because it was the second instrument I implemented. :D

So, here's the version without the guitar. I'll spare you the ear-wrecking other version. XD
    And, as always, I got creative with them titles.

16. Pixceldev

Pixceldev Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Here are some old soundtracks I made for my college game last year!

They're a little rough, and I wouldn't say that the musical style is very traditional for chiptune, but I'm a metalhead, so these are basically metals songs with midi instruments :p

17. Necrox

Necrox Villager Member

@Kaimen The drum loop works for quieter parts, but I feel like it takes away from the feel a bit to have it going the whole time. Maybe change it up a bit for the more impact-like sections? I definitely like your string parts, though. 

18. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A simple, short church/heaven loop that I finished today. 

Archduke likes this.
  19. hyde9318

hyde9318 RMC Coordinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, if there are any Metallica fans here, can someone give feedback and let me know if the mix on this sounds alright? I am worried my bass was too loud during recording, cause I wanted that Metallica feel but I may have gone a bit overboard. IDK, let me know if it sounds off. I did this Metallica medley in my usual 'video game metal' style, so it isnt going to sound studio quality (not supposed to). 

20. Necrox

Necrox Villager Member