Post Your Music

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Kaimen

Kaimen Noisemaker Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Archduke:

Pirate's Engagement

For some reason, my first thought was "how would this sound on Gangplank Galleon?" So, I guess you managed to capture the "Pirate" feeling quite nicely. What really did it for me was the part from 2:09 onward. Say, did you take lessons from Yoko Shimomura? XD Because your inspiration really shows at 2:35 when the brass and spiccato strings come in. As a huge fan of Shimomura's work I can only applaud at how well you managed to imitate her style. Especially the second half of the song is amazing. Very well done - nothing to criticize.

Herald of the World

Oh, I love the medieval fantasy feel I get from listening to this (after the intro). ... Oh wait, suddenly I feel reminded of a jungle-esque area. ... Oh wait, no, now it's a world map theme. I really love how you managed to combine all these elements so well in one song. Makes me want to go out and explore... my hometown... with 35°C outside temperature... Nah, I think I'll stay home listening to this piece a little longer and think of adventure.

I really dig your use of strings in this one. That and the drums. Wonderful. Five stars. 10/10. :)

-----

For the longest time I wanted to compose a Zelda-esque dungeon/temple theme. And well... let's say I tried. It might not sound like Zelda. And it might not sound like a temple. But I daresay it sounds like a dungeon. At least a little. Maybe. I'll let you decide. It's just a quickly made song. I think I made this one in only three hours. :p

And now my most recent piece. Just finished this one today. ... Also in only a few hours. This was originally supposed to become a "sad theme" but... well, I have a habit of ending up with something else as I intended when composing. This one, uhh, evolved into a haunted mansion type of theme. It may not be what it's been supposed to but I still like how it turned out. XD

Artificer likes this.
  2. Archduke

Archduke Jack of all Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Kaimen

Thanks for your kind words! :3

Treacherous Temple sounds more like a castle theme than a dungeon theme to me, but I think it could still work for a dungeon. I also think the xylophone-like instrument seems a bit too happy in the notes it's playing, kinda clashes with the overall feel to me. Makes it seem more childish, which isn't a bad thing by any means! I like it though. Your use of cymbals and tam-tams was pretty well done as well, if not a tad overzealous in some areas. Doesn't detract too much, just thought I'd note it.

I know that feeling of trying to compose one thing and having it turn out completely[/i[ and irredeemably different. xP It gives me strong Banjo & Kazooie haunted area vibes, which is definitely a really good thing. I think some of the instruments are a bit loud and you have some voice overlap in places, but I like it. It works for me. A-!

- Duke Luke Juke Nuke

3. Tohnson

Tohnson Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello everyone, I am a music producer named Tohnson. I would really love to produce music for someone's video game, as I have been trying a different style from what I usually produce. Anyways here is a recent release of that new style I was talking about. Also my Bandcamp website. So yeah, I would like to produce music for someone's video game, preferably an atmospheric type of game, or horror game.

https://tohnson.bandcamp.com/

4. Reposer

Reposer Composer, Cool Guy Member

First Language:
    English
    @Kaimen: Treacherous Temple sounds like something out of Banjo & Kazooie, but it does get the dungeon vibe across. Prollynot so much a temple, but it would definitely work in a dungeon setting, I like it! Calamity Rising is also something that fits the bill, maybe not for a sad theme, but for something like a haunted house or other horror-related scenery. I enjoy this one a lot, I like that kind of music!

@Tohnson: I do really like this, fits your want of atmospheric/horror music. The one thing I dislike about it is when you have the hi-hats alone from 0:34~0:48, they're a little loud and if it's loud it could hurt someone's ears I feel from the high pitch. However, that's just my thought, and it's fine elsewhere when other things are layered with it. Great work on this piece overall!

I have two songs right now, only one of them is actually recent, though. The first one is a pretty old one that I never actually posted, but it was one that I did want some feedback on specifically, because I feel something off about it, but I dunno what, or if it's just me. Anyways, here it is:

The next one isn't actually something that I'm likely to use for RPG Maker stuff, but it is nonetheless something I wanted feedback on. I wanted to make something with vocals again, because my past songs with Vocals are just terrible IMO. Anyways, it's just a Rock/Pop type of dealio, I actually also used some vocals from a metal soundpack because the singers sound almost identical, and I felt like it fit XD

Here it is!

Artificer likes this.
  5. Artificer

Artificer Creator of worlds Veteran

First Language:
    Español
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    OHHHHHHHH  Reposer

MY GOOD SO NICE!! What is your recording device? you play all the instruments? Is an electronic keyboard? What about the guitar distortion is mod by a pedal right? is MIDI recorder been used right? Do you have partiture? how long takes you to do that? are you singing? hey over all those questions, the Indie game maker contest is going to start and a lot of people would be asking for custom music for their projects, you should make a offer for developers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
  6. Reposer

Reposer Composer, Cool Guy Member

First Language:
    English
    Oh, well first of I'm glad that you enjoy them, but I'm gonna have to lay some truth bomb onto ya. All my music is made from samples, save a few mostly now privated. This basically means that instead of producing, I'm basically a composer. I am glad that it's apparently not noticeable that they're just samples, though I don't wanna give the impression that I'm really talented or nutin. About the jam, I wouldn't mind doing that, but that'd first mean that people are okay with doing music like this, but also I would need to get commercial licenses and the like, which is a lot of money for low/no return. Anyways, sorry for rambling, but I am glad you enjoyed it, just sorry for bursting your bubble, so to speak.

Artificer likes this.
  7. Artificer

Artificer Creator of worlds Veteran

First Language:
    Español
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh i see, thanks for the answer.

8. kleber10

kleber10 Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Hello everyone! 

I made this soundtrack on GuitarPro6 some years ago to my project, but I gave up since it didn't suit my game. Today I have been making another RPG game, and I decided to convert the music into a 8bit track to see what happens. It looks good?

Which kind of music you guys think that combines more with 2D RPG games, 8bit or HQ music? I'm still thinking what should I use for my game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
  9. HeroofTime123

HeroofTime123 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi, I recently started making music to go along with the game I'm making. I do all my stuff in GarageBand because I'm too cheap to buy anything else and don't feel the need when Garageband works just fine. I'm certainly far from a professional composer, but I think I've got some pretty good stuff here.

I've got all the music for my game, as well as some other stuff that I did just on the side. I'd really like feedback on it!

Here is the whole playlist of all stuff I made for my game. But the the ones I'm putting here are some of my personal favorites

10. Rikifive

Rikifive Bringer of Happiness Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Kleber10

Can I listen to original song? I'm curious. =P

I liked that 8 bit, although the sound quality is not perfect. =)

Btw - Did you use "GXSCC" for converting to 8 bit? I don't like the sound of that program. =P

11. kleber10

kleber10 Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Of course you can, but I made it with guitar pro, so... The quality stills not perfect. Unfortunately I can't record myself, I have to use programs with generic sound lol

And yeah, I'm using GXSCC lol. I also dind't like, but I don't know any other better program that can convert to 8bit.

12. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    The 1:05-1:56 part caught my attention in the 8 bit version, that's why I wanted to listen to the original. =)

And I also don't know any better program than GXSCC, that's why I know about that program, although the sound is sadly crappy. =P

13. Archduke

First Language:
    English
    Hi!
    There is no best music! It all depends on the style of the game. The more high fidelity the game, usually more realistic music/sound effects work, but other times a mix also works well. If the game is very lo-fi, then an 8-Bit soundtrack works well. But this is all very dependent on the thematic elements of the game! So at the end of the day, it's up to you to figure out what works. :3

- Duke

kleber10 and Kes like this.
  14. kleber10

kleber10 Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Thank you for this answer, I'll take some time to think carefully about what would be better.

Anyway, I managed to improve the quality of my track and I want to share with you guys.

15. Archduke

First Language:
    English
    @HeroofTime123: Title sounds really well made, I can't really find any major issues that stand out to me, good job! Though I recommend posting 3 tracks maximum if you're expecting feedback, because very few are going to sit here listening and critiquing all 23 tracks, haha.

@kleber10: The intro kind've struck me as unnecessarily loud, and the cymbal crash definitely needs some reverb and possibly some EQ'ing. Or just a better sample, haha. The different parts of the song also feel somewhat disjointed to me, and there are some notes that seem like they're going off-key. I really liked the shift at 2:00, it felt really cool and was a nice change of pace. Overall good job on it!

- Duke

HeroofTime123 and kleber10 like this.
  16. HeroofTime123

First Language:
    English
    @Archduke I'm glad you like it. And yeah, I changed it. I kinda wish it would have posted it as the actual playlist and not a single track that continues to the next song. Oh well.

17. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @kleber10

It's much better than before!

I really liked that!

18. Kaimen

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So guys... I gotta say, it's always interesting when I'm writing music. Last time, I wanted to compose a sad theme and ended up with a haunted mansion type of theme. This time, I had nothing particular in mind and basically just composed as I went along. Thus I have no idea what this theme actually is. I want to say it's dungeon-esque or maybe a character theme...? No idea. I would love to hear your impressions of this one. And let me also know if the synth guitar seems out of place in this one because I was debating whether to change the instrument or not. I was happy with it at the time but now... Meh. :D

19. HeroofTime123

First Language:
    English
    I personally don't mind the guitar. It sounds fine to me. I like the whole song honestly. I could see this more as a dungeon theme than a character theme, but if you got a character that was one of those "goofy-evil" types, if you know what I mean, then it fits perfectly.

As a side note though, I would just like to say that the percussions sounds similar to the drums in the Great Bay Temple (here's a reference if you don't know the song) Just curious if that was on purpose or not?

20. Kaimen

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That nod to the Great Bay temple theme was actually intentional, yes. I had that line stuck in my head and wanted to make something of it. Similar to how I got inspired by the title theme to Radiant Historia when writing my "Forest Sanctuary". So, yes, that was on purpose. :)