Post Your Music

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Reposer: I like Western a lot, though I think it would work better with acoustic drum samples, they'd contrast nicely with the synth work.

@Kaimen: nice job on Calamity Rising! The playful spookiness makes me think of old-school point n' click adventure games, which is a very good thing. :)

@Archduke: Herald of the World is awesome! What percussion sounds are you using (the ones that play at the start of the track)? My only criticism is when the first instrument plays solo (0:14 to 0:25) it's too loud, as soon as it's backed up by the other instruments it works beautifully but maybe try building the volume up over the solo section?

Here's the first track from my IGMC entry, it's short and simple but there will be a longer, more detailed version later in the game:

2. sajalee

sajalee Warper Member

First Language:
    Korean
    Hey guys!

Orchestral music composer-in-making and newbie to this forum here!  I wanted to know what people thought of my music, and to see whether it would work for games (especially RPGs).  I recently made two boss battle music and one field theme (for a ruined village or deserted area).  Please let me know what you guys think!

Boss battle1

Boss battle2

Field1

Thanks in advance!

3. BeardBro

BeardBro I think this line's mostly filler. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm considering creating a soundtrack for everyone here to utilize in their projects. I haven't created an official 'soundtrack' before, but it might be a fun challenge.

Here's a handful of my songs:

Square_art likes this.
  4. Archduke

Archduke Jack of all Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Macatlas: If you're going for feedback, I suggest 2-3 tracks at most at a time. That's a lot of time |:

- Duke

5. BeardBro

BeardBro I think this line's mostly filler. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @sajalee:

The two boss themes are well done. They sound fresh and fulfilling, and the composition itself is obviously though-out and well organized.

The field theme is very soothing and introspective, though the strings in the first 18 seconds are bit too loud. I think the song would have more impact overall if the 'high' strings play quietly in the background instead of carrying the song at the front of the mix.

@Archduke:

That makes sense. I'll keep that in mind for future posts. :)

6. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's been a little while, so how about some funk?

@Kaimen: Yeah, that synth guitar in Secret Experiments feels a bit out of place.  I think the melody fits, but I'd toy with different instruments there.  If you're going for something more cartoony, though, then the synth guitar sounds a bit playful, so that might fit perfectly well given the right setting.

@Mostly_Useless: That song is pretty simple but effective.  Nice little minimalist leanings in there.

@Macatlas: You've got a pretty nice range.  I think the standout track is "The Ranch Gets Lonely;" that'd make a good title track.  "Bright Eyes and City Lights" is pretty stellar, too.  I think that "Thief!" is relying a bit too much on some stock sounds, personally (really just that one horn melody at :33), but the whole track feels a bit too familiar I guess.  If you want to make a soundtrack that's widely applicable, though, that kind of thing is probably what you should be going for.

Geoff Moore likes this.
  7. David Lister

David Lister Composer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I raaaaarely do remixes of my orchestral work, but this was fun.  Short and simple, but "groovy"...  :p

Here's the original orchestral piece.

Enjoy...

8. Kaimen

Kaimen Noisemaker Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have to say, I don't know where to start. Yes, I think it's that well made. I sat here at my desk in awe of both your remix and the original. Although I must say that I like the remix better than the original. That might be because I am a huge Ratchet & Clank fan and your remix sounds like it's straight out of one of those games. The only thing that irks me a little is the intro. Those... are those square bells...? Anyway that deep synth that gets the song started that sounds a little off in the first four or five seconds. Might just be me but the instrument choice bugs me a little. Everything else is amazing though. The use of conventional instruments along with the synth always does it for me. Especially the little choir and piano pieces at about 0:40. Wonderful work. You should do remixes like this more often! :)

----

Wow... after listening to that amazing remix the track I want to post sounds so... pathetic in comparison. XD

Anyway, it's the first time I've done that and my style is simplistic, so... yeah. Chiptune! My very first chiptune to be precise. Before I went to bed yesterday I hummed a little melody into my audio recorder and that's what became the bass line in this tune. I made this in about an hour and, again, have no idea what it's supposed to be since I just wildly composed into the blue. :D

So... here it is. I ultimately decided that it's going to be a town/village theme. If anyone has better ideas let me know. :)

EDIT: Well, seems like I was a little too productive today. Either that or I just should've waited before making this post... Anyway, I finished another song. Second one for today (and also the last one... I haven't eaten in HOURS... XD).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
  9. David Lister

David Lister Composer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Kaimen, thanks for the kind words.  I figured most people would like the remix version because it's a little more accessible.  I'm pretty dedicated to the orchestra, so I don't spend much time on the "electronic" side of things unless I'm doing a hybrid score (full orchestra + synths).  Remixing is an art unto itself and my hat's off to my colleagues who pull it off with style.  What I NEED to do is send my stems to my friends who primarily do this sort of thing.

Thanks for posting your work.  Always, always, always post your work.  It's one of the ways you'll get better.  I always tell aspiring composers 1) Find a mentor, 2) Transcribe a piece of music you like EVERY day, 3) Let your mentor and other composers listen to your work. --- I've learned more from this process in 20 years than any class on music theory.  (Ok, I just dated myself.  Shhhhh.  Don't tell anyone.)

Your reuse of the colors in the orchestra in "Awakening" is good.  One of the greatest skills a composer can have is the ability to take a simple theme and repackage it so many ways as to keep it fresh over a great length of time without it seeming boring or repetitive.  Putting away and then reusing colors in the orchestra is great way of doing that. (Ravel's "Bolero" is a great example of this technique.)

10. Rikifive

Rikifive Bringer of Happiness Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @mostly useless It's really well done, what can I say more. =)
    @sajalee These are great, especially Boss battle themes!
    @Macatlas HOLY BALLS! These are really professional. Great job!
    @Housekeeping Nice flow of energy! =D
    @David Lister These are really well done, "Another World (Prologue)sounds like in *bigger* productions.
    @Kaimen Nice work! I liked "Awakening", simple and calming. =P

Well... Here are my others silly work. And I think that's all of my *music making*. I'm not good at this and I should focus on game making anyway.

This is... yes... pony stuff... It's my second work.

And this is my unfinished project. I quickly made that on smartphone, so this will suck.

And I'm done with music stuff for now.

Geoff Moore likes this.
  11. YagamiKyo

YagamiKyo Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Good afternoon

I must excuse myself for making this one my first post in the forums. This one needs a little post-prod, but I like it as a minimalistic misterious tune. Feedback would be appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/yagamikyo/mistery-existence

12. Dirge

Dirge Sound Engineer Veteran

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This is a rough "first draft" of a song idea. Not anywhere near completion (there'll probably be more guitars, and there are no vocals yet, for example). I work with another producer, and I threw this together as a basic idea for him to expand on and fiddle with. After we've poked at it a bit, and written some lyrics and stuff, we'll call one of our vocalists, or go out hunting for one that fits the song, since neither of us can sing at all.

So: this is unfinished, not mixed or mastered or anything at all really except a little bit of rough panning. And the solo is completely improvised, as well. More of a "solo goes here" placeholder.

But I think this could turn into something cool. I particularly like my guitar tone here, was going for something a little old school.

13. taistelusopuli

taistelusopuli Your Friendly Neighborhood Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    You got a cool groove there! Very classy ;) Looking forward to hear how the piece evolves.

Here is something I'd love to share here! Every Monday I take a hour and randomly pick sounds to use. In that hour my goal is to create something that makes sense. I started openly sharing the pieces three weeks ago. Here is the playlist of the three I've shared to the public.

What do you guys think? It is a funny way of starting the week of music making ;)

14. Nightling

Nightling Villager Member

First Language:
    English
  15. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    Thank you for posting that! You have a cool idea there. The hits/strikes when the main motif begins and in the end could use some more power. They sound a bit too clappy. With that and a bit more variation it would be a great piece ;)

16. Reposer

Reposer Composer, Cool Guy Member

First Language:
    English
    @Mostly: Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! I really like the feeling you have going on here, like this song could be the start of an adventure, either at the beginning of a game or even at the end, to frame how another game or some sort will contain more, and working around that in the cutscene/dialog/etc. Good work on this!

@Sajalee: I like the boss tracks, and what you have going on with them, although I feel there needs to be more in terms of progression. They sound nice, but they're basically just the large parts of the song. This could just be my personal preference talking for all I know, but I feel you should have a short buildup, then the main of your large, then a drop, then when it picks up again, being larger than prior, if that makes any sense. Either way, good work on these!

@Macatlas: I like all of these, most of all "The Ranch Gets Lonely", it sounds like it'd work great for a main theme or a main cinematic, great work on all of these!

@Housekeeping: I like this tune a lot, and it reminds me of something, but I don't really know what offhand, just sounds familiar for some reason...

@David: Nice job on these, don't have any real criticism, but I enjoy what you did with the Remix, sounds great! Good work!

@Kaimen: As usual, I really like the feeling that you put into your songs! I really enjoy the chiptune of your town theme, and the calm feeling of Awakening, good work!

@Rikifive: I don't really know the source material well enough to say if you emulated "Shine Like Rainbows" well, but it does sound good! I also like the sound of the Adele song aswell, good work on these!

@Yagami: I really like the tone of this song, like it could be used for a tense cinematic moment, or just some spoopy lil area. Great work on it, I like it a lot!

@Dirge: Won't comment on too much, since it ain't done yet, but I do really enjoy the guitar rhythm you have going on, really nice and smooth sounding.

@Tastiel: I REALLY enjoy this song when it picks up, although I feel like it'd be better if you did some sort of rise into the part at 0:18, since it's a bit odd just cutting in after the silence, but that's just my thoughts.

@Nightling: Can't access it to listen, sorry :c

Alrighty, I have a few tings to post, since I haven't been keeping up with the forums that much. The first was made as a sort of ambient lil thing, but evolved a bit more. Not quite sure what it'd be good for, but I ended up really liking the sound I got, I'm thinking it'd be useful for something like a Space-related dealio, or a fancy sounding menu, what're your thoughts?

The next two I made because I learned how to use newer samples in my program (MP3s don't work but WAVs do, durp) so I got around to getting some new stuff, made the first one to be more of an upbeat thing, don't really know a genre and whatnot but whatevs here it is:

The last one I made as a sort of horror type of deal, it ain't complete creep or nothing but it was the vibe I was trying to achieve along with it being somewhat upbeat, do you think I hit that well or no?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
    Rikifive likes this.
  17. Rikifive

Rikifive Bringer of Happiness Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @YagamiKyo Simple, yet very good. It would fit some cut-scene or something. =)
    @Dirge I liked that free-energetic flow of the guitar, nice!
    @taistelusopuli I could say kinda the same thing as I said to YagamiKyo. =P
    @Nightling very nice `url` parameter is not a valid SoundCloud URL. theme! JK, the link is broken. =P
    @Reposer I think it would fit perfectly into a shooter game or something, with aliens/zombies maybe? - good stuff!

18. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    Thank you so much for the comments! Some other people have commented the one bar gap between the intro and the rest of the piece. I do agree that the gap is weird and cuts the motion too much. BUT in my defense! I was composing against the clock ;) (not that there really is an excuse for bad composing when I know I can do better)

19. Lars Ulrika

Lars Ulrika I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  20. Hibarist

Hibarist Music Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @lars ulrika: Some of the percussions don't sound good to me but other than that i like it!

Lars Ulrika likes this.