Kaimen

Noisemaker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Lars Ulrika: Other than that weird brass(?) and the sudden changes in mood at 0:51 and 1:14 I like it. I think the transitions between the different pieces of the track could be a little bit better. To me it sounds a little bit too rash in progression. The last transition to the part at 1:58 was wonderful though. :)

Benjamin Kuli

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
hungarian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Here's my latest work, which is a more than 15 minutes improvisation, where I wanted to project my feelings into one music. Feel free to tell me your opinion about it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hibarist

Music Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@benjamin: very relaxing, i love it!  You could take some melodies from that and make actual songs

Benjamin Kuli

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
hungarian
Primarily Uses
N/A
@benjamin: very relaxing, i love it!  You could take some melodies from that and make actual songs
Thank you for your comment, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Indeed, it could be many separate music on its own (and even songs with lyrics and vocals), but I decided to keep it in this way, since it is an improvisation, this version is its pure and clear form.

HeroofTime123

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello again.

I'm back this time posting music from my game that I was making for the IMGC. I didn't finish the game in time for the contest but I made quite a bit of music for it. so here is some of it.

The general battle theme for the game:

The first major dungeon:

The title theme:

I'd really appreciate any feedback I can get on these. Thanks!

Archduke

Jack of all Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Benjamin Kuli: This is really nice, I enjoyed listening to it a lot.

@HeroofTime123: You ask for feedback but don't give any? ;P

- Duke

Kaimen

Noisemaker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Benjamin Kuli: I had your improv on in the background while I was doing some other stuff and for some reason I'm rather relaxed now. I think I'm gonna put it back on when I go to bed later. Things like this makes we want to be able to play the piano. I really liked the intense bit you had in there near the end - nice contrast.

@HeroofTime123: 

Battle Theme Orchestrated

I think it's pretty solid but I also think it could still need some variety. The brass is a little bit too dominant for my taste. And the short bits where it pauses don't really do it for me since they're so... boring without the brass. Maybe have some woodwinds to support the strings. At least that's what I would do. *whistles his own flute melody along to the track*

The Hero's Maze

Instant win with me when the organ kicked in. It's just a shame that the half of the song with the organ was so short. It really did wonders to the song. But I guess one shouldn't exaggerate with the use of his organs... Anyway, it's great and I like it. :)

The Chilling Journey

I like the leitmotif you got going on in this one. However, before the choir set in the brass didn't really make it for me. It just sounded weird. But it was perfectly fine in combination with the choir. That's the only thing I can criticize here. Another well made piece.

-----------

I really need to sit down and write music more often to get that practice. After six hours this is all I can come up with...? Meh. Well, it just was a melody stuck in my head that I built a song around. I made it a dungeon theme. More specifically, I was picturing some kind of laboratory. I'm not too sure about the saxophone though. I wanted it to sound gloomy (and I am biased because I used to play the saxophone, but psht). Let me hear what you think. It's nothing too complicated, like most of my songs. :)

And shoutout to my buddy A'skela who handled the mixing on this one and made that track sound awesome anyway. XD
http://skelang.newgrounds.com/

Hibarist

Music Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@kaimen I think the song its pretty cool, it gives the feel of a laboratory sort of dungeon, but in my opinion you should change the saxo to another lead instrument. Im thinking of a violin or maybe a guitar but thats just me. After that its a cool dungeon theme!

Benjamin Kuli

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
hungarian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you so much everyone for the comments (and likes). I really appreciated your feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed my work.

@Kaimen: I think the biggest problem with your work is the lack of reverb. In order to give it a really dungeon-esque atmosphere, it needs some kind of "echo" to sound like you're indeed wandering in some kind of maze. In this current version, it sounds more like an adventure game that fits the atmosphere of the 1920's, and played during searching for clues in a neo-noir atmosphere - which is not bad, but something that has some controversies with the basic melody. In order to give the needed atmosphere of the music, I suggest two things:

1. Give it an echo/reverb.

2. Change the brass into something more... haunting/mysterious. Like a synth or pad.

Other than that, I like it.

Just to post something again, here's one of my older works. In that project, I wanted to re-arrange one of the folks songs from my homecountry. However, instead of making it your usual re-arrange, I decided to make it sound like an orient/asian music instead of just a usual folk song. I hope you'll like it!

Saltwater Croc

Voice Actor/Frelance Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
HeroOfTime123: Battle theme is pretty good. I like that it has a beat and rhythm different than a "traditional" RPG.  I notice you tend to use the same chords over and over though, and--although that's fine for a normal theme, for a battle it tends to lose the drive and intensity needed for a battle theme.

This is pumping, barely intense enough as far as battle themes go.  I like the use of brass; not enough musicians give love to the brass section.

Hero's maze: I like it. It's very tense, very sneak-like. Makes me think I'd have to sneak past guards or something.

Chilling Journey: I like the rhythm of your song already. I like the almost riverdance-like melody.

Kaimen: The piano is okay, but then the saxophone comes in WAY too loud. The melody is good, though. I like your use of accidentals. It reminds me of something from Zelda Ocarina of Time.  Just fix the saxophone volume until the bassoon comes in.  Make it gradually increase in volume, perhaps. Then at the point of the loop decrease the volume again?

You do good work. Keep it up!

Benjamin Kuli: It's nice.  If you're going for an Asian feel, maybe if you tried a little less viola, maybe some erhu?  The melody is nice, though.

Alrighty, here is my title theme for my game, Tale of the Cursed Lantern.

https://soundcloud.com/dlsea/tell-me-a-story

Our Desert Gem 

https://soundcloud.com/dlsea/our-desert-gem-alternate

Tale of the Cursed Lantern (Main theme, Tale of the Cursed Lantern)

https://soundcloud.com/dlsea/tale-of-the-cursed-lantern

Please enjoy.

Dimitris

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, my Soundcloud music is about Synthwave and that's why I don't post about it here BUT, today I uploaded a track I made blending 16bit vgm with synths. It was about a compilation and I'd like to get your opinion guys.

Btw, probably in the future I will create a dedicated Soundcloud account for the music I compose for my games. Now you can listen to them only while playing.

https://soundcloud.com/dimi-kaye/dimi-kaye-stage-1-time-warp

Archduke

Jack of all Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Iron Croc:

Tell Me A Story: I really like this, though it feels a bit dragged on. It doesn't seem like it really needs to be 4 minutes and I think that might have something to do with the pads.

Our Desert Gem: This seems a bit all over the place, and the deep organ chords on the lower end really muddy up the mix. It doesn't help that they're surprisingly loud, either. There are also quite a few parts where there's so much frequency overlap that it's hard to focus on any single instrument. I liked the break around 3:44 though.

Tale of the Cursed Lantern: I like the sense of forward motion in this a lot! I think my only issue with it is the mixing in a few areas. The low and middle frequencies are a bit cluttered. You've that bass instrument and then the deep drums, and then the organs are taking up a bit of the low end which is kind've throwing it off a bit. But overall I really liked this!

- Duke

Artificer

Creator of worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Español
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Benjamin Kuli @ Nice stuff, i like how you hit the tempo.

Iron Croc those sound great, Our desert Gem is my favorite, there is a part when i can hear the # on the chords but they fit in a way, interesting.

This is the last stuff i made.

Saltwater Croc

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Archduke Thank you the feedback.  Unfortunately there's not much I can do in regards to pads and such since that's all I can afford. :D All I can do is use what I got and not be ashamed with 'em. :)

But, if I may say, Tell me a story is actually two minutes long, just looped. :p

(I loop most of my songs twice for listening enjoyment :D )

With Our Desert Gem I was attempting to imitate a baroque style. It was my first try; I'll keep at it though. :)

The TOTCL track is actually an alternate version of a track I have made. The organ does sound a bit FORCED in there and that's intentional. It's as if it doesn't belong. :D

Again thank you for the feedback. :D

@Artificer Thank you! :)

Archduke

Jack of all Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Archduke Thank you the feedback.  Unfortunately there's not much I can do in regards to pads and such since that's all I can afford. :D All I can do is use what I got and not be ashamed with 'em. :)

But, if I may say, Tell me a story is actually two minutes long, just looped. :p

(I loop most of my songs twice for listening enjoyment :D )

With Our Desert Gem I was attempting to imitate a baroque style. It was my first try; I'll keep at it though. :)

The TOTCL track is actually an alternate version of a track I have made. The organ does sound a bit FORCED in there and that's intentional. It's as if it doesn't belong. :D

Again thank you for the feedback. :D
Well, the pads aren't bad, they're just very loud and pretty much dominate everything, leaving no room for the rest of the instruments, haha. And... it being two minutes looped makes a lot of sense. Everything makes sense again! </3 And yes, please do keep at it! Try your hardest and I'm sure you'll do great.

- Duke

Benjamin Kuli

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
hungarian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Now it's my time to give feedback!

@Iron Croc:

- Tell Me a Story: While I really like the sound design part of the song (instruments and mixture), I actually feel like the melody is not going anywhere and stays in one place. I don't know the actual story, but if it is an epic story, I wouldn't get that adventure feeling from the main theme alone. :\

- Our Desert Gem: It is the exact opposite of the previous song: While I have some problem with instrumentalization ("too midi-esque"), the melody and the overall going of the song is actually really nice! I prefer this sooo much over the previous one. It is actually a song of... "living".

- Tale of the Cursed Lantern: The intro was fantastic. I couldn't even imagine better for such a track, it was perfect. While the other parts of the music are not as strong as the opening, I still feel like it is overall not bad at all. It had its "go to the journey" feeling, unlike the first song. This one is my favourite, just because of that intro.

@Dimitris:

- Stage 1 Time Warp: Nice chiptune! Creating in such a style is actually not that easy (or, I could say that someone has the talent to create chiptune, others has to create orchestral pieces). The overall feeling of the song is really, really nice. The guitar riff in the end was a bit surprise. The only problem with it that the ending is not "old school" anymore, but other than that, I like it!

@Artificer:

- And still alone: One thing I should mention is that it is NOT a jazz music in my opinion. It sounds more like a blues music, but nonetheless, it is actually a really interesting concept that I like. The sounding is something unique and I like the emotions reflected by this work. My only problem is, that it stays in one place and doesn't move towards. It was a nice experience for a minute, or even two, but was too much for 3-4 minutes. "Sometimes the less is more."

Overall, I really liked each of these music and it's nice to see such a composer community here. :)

Instead of sharing one music, I decided to share a promo mix of the album I had been working for a while, and I hope that I will be able to release it soon(er or later):

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Saltwater Croc

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Benjamin too many feelings at once.  It's hardcore in the beginning and then sudden silence for a long time, that kinda makes me lost attention to the piece.  It sounds like you tried to cram a bunch of different genres into one single piece.  The ending was nice enough, though.

@NPC i can't access it...

Dimitris

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Benjamin Kuli Very well produced music. I like your retro elements (remind me of cyberpunk), your classical pieces are very good and every intsrument has its place. The whole mix feels like a soundtrack for a cyberpunk Final Fantasy game. Very good job!

@Iron Croc You are focused on classic rpg sountrack and you do it very good. Nice production, nice bass, the musical elements are well placed in the mix. I really like Tale of the Cursed Lantern but I believe the church organ is heavy and covers all the other instruments. Try lower its volume. The rest of the song rules.

@King Madness Your Strange Concoctions can easily be played at a detective adventure game. Love the bass and sax and the whole mystery vibe.

@HeroofTime123 The Chilling Journey can become an amazing track. Your piano melody, the staccato chords and the pads all create a great intro. The problem is that the whole song stays as an intro (I understand that it might be a looping track for your dungeon). The fact is that it has incredible potential. You can add marching drums after the 0'57, maybe introduce an electric guitar playing 5ths every 8 bars, add a violin melody or something. You can do lots of things and I believe you should work on that track more. 

Benjamin Kuli

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
hungarian
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Benjamin too many feelings at once.  It's hardcore in the beginning and then sudden silence for a long time, that kinda makes me lost attention to the piece.  It sounds like you tried to cram a bunch of different genres into one single piece.  The ending was nice enough, though.
That's because it is NOT one song. It is a mix of 5-6 different music from my project. And I wanted to showcase as many aspects of that album as possible. :)

@Benjamin Kuli Very well produced music. I like your retro elements (remind me of cyberpunk), your classical pieces are very good and every intsrument has its place. The whole mix feels like a soundtrack for a cyberpunk Final Fantasy game. Very good job!
Thank you so much! I'm really glad you like it, and indeed, I tried to make it sound like a mixture of classical pieces and more "futuristic" pieces, like techno and cyberpunk-inspired music; but also gave the whole project the atmosphere of horror soundtracks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Look, I get that it's illegal, but...
It just happen we got P7 as booth number, so i draw Girls Frontline's P7 in this
Stream will be live shortly! Going to start with some Minecraft spriting, and might switch mid-stream. Depends~ Feel free to drop by!
MushroomCake28 wrote on Finnuval's profile.
Glad to see you're back! I was wondering what you've become! It's been a while since we spoke to each other!
zachb wrote on Human_Male's profile.
I know this was months ago, but I don't completely understand the lunatic states program (how you set it up). I just want to apply a stone state (and death) to a character after x amount of time. Can you show me an example of how to set it up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lysenthe