Post Your Music

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. TheSt0ryTeller

TheSt0ryTeller Cool Dude Member

First Language:
    English
  2. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Oh! Then disregard those comments.  I must have missed where you put that in the description. Good stuff. :D

3. NPC

NPC Auteurist in this world Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Whoops. typo'd in the url. Fixed.

4. Reposer

Reposer Composer, Cool Guy Member

First Language:
    English
    @NPC: It may be a little simple, but that's just my take, sounds more like something akin to horror or something such as a church, with the bells and background choir. If it's just meant to be a normal cave theme I'd suggest a bit more work with the drums and a slightly faster/upbeat sound. However, I do really enjoy it, and what it is now is awesome, I just wouldn't call it a cave theme personally.

@Benjamin: Oooh, this sounds really nice, I really liked the sound of a lot of these, I'd want to hear the full thing turns out based off of this for sure! Great work on this!

@Artificer: Can't say that this is jazz in my opinion, a bit too slow to be that. However, I do enjoy what you have, not my personal taste, but it is made quite well, don't have anything specific to comment on, good work!

@TheSt0ryTeller: I like these! Get Lucky is an awesome song, so that was nice to see. I don't really have much criticism, other than I'd say that in Ruby, the voices were largely overpowered by the instruments, but I haven't heard the source and don't know if this was intentional, just something I noticed.

I've done a LOT of songs in the past few days, too many for me to even post all of here, I'll just stick to the three I want feedback most on. The first one is actually a 'remake' of the first song I made, little over a year ago. It's a remake in the sense that I used the same vocals for the main of it, although most instruments are different. I wanted to see what I could do working with a few of the same tools. I originally thought of using same drums and synth, but it didn't really work. Anyways, that's this:

The next two are both Disco-Esque songs, maybe not exactly, but that kind of feel. The first one is a bit older, and vocal-less, and I was wondering if I used some things too much, or didn't put enough variety in, so I'm showing this:

The next one I'm choosing mostly because it fits the theme :p

Anyways, if possible I'd like feedback on these, and I have 3 more songs I'd at some point like to ask about, but I'll wait a few days on those, so as not to overload the forum. Thanks!

Artificer likes this.
  5. NPC

NPC Auteurist in this world Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Reposer: Yeah, I wish I could work on it more, but I lost the editable file w/ my hard drive a few months after I made it (it's hella old now XD). 

6. Dimitris

Dimitris Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Reposer Mate I just listened to your songs. Your head is in the right place, you have an understanding of mixing, you have nice ideas, cool drumlines, I like the vocal samples but you seem to throw everything you can in a song.

Take for example Traptank. Nice rhythms nice buildup up untill 0'47 and then you cut abruptly to introduce the violin synth. It messes with the dance vibe and the groove. Then at 1'36 you add the pads that feel like a completely different song. They clash with the guitar melody and the bass progression. That seems out of place and I believe you could work that as a different song. But it doesn't work in Traptank.

Upwards - You have beautiful ideas and this track has potential to be hit dance track with proper mix and master. Again it seems that you need to listen a lot of house tracks to see how they build up because it looks like you try to clutter so many ideas in so little time. In only 2 minutes and in a track that sounds like it's tempo is120bpm I see you playing with sidechain, filters, vocal melodies etc. All these need their time and remember that proper house music is 6+ minutes long. Take your time, build it properly, don't add unnessessary stuff in it. The song is like a rollercoaster ride and it does not need that/ it has so ups and downs in 4 minutes time. Let people breathe, dance, build and build until you reach a peak and stay there. They should feel your music not to think about every change you make in it.

You really have potential. My suggestion is to pay attention to the songs you like and how they are built, check the measures, the time, how many melodies are in there (you can do more with less). Study the music you like to create.

Here's an example of buildup. A song of mine that I donated for the Mental Health Awareness Week 2015. The style is Dreamwave, Retro electronica but you can observe what happens in it. Slow build, adding melodies one at the time, everything has its place and in the end reaches the creschendo.

https://soundcloud.com/dimi-kaye/donate-a-track-everything-works-in-the-end

Reposer, Dreadshadow and Archduke like this.
  7. Reposer

First Language:
    English
    @Dimitris: I see what you mean, in the past I've been told that my stuff wasn't varied enough, so it's possible I've just been doing TOO much to compensate for that. I also use just sampled stuff for when I make music, so I usually don't get much leniency on progression of a single melody, thus why I'll swap melodies or add more in to compensate. One big thing is that I really need to learn proper melody creation and getting the hang of MIDIs, so I'm not purely stuck to samples. I should probably listen more to source subjects when I make songs, since I don't actually listen to a whole lot outside my own stuff, just a lot of music I'm already familiar with and the like. Mostly Rock, Dubstep, Hip-Hop stuff, and chillout in terms of genre. Also, do you have anything specific you could say about 'In The Brain' or is it more of the same? Thanks for the feedback regardless!

EDIT: Actually thought up another question, for Traptank, do you think the issue was in introducing the Strings or in losing Rhythm to introduce them? Such as, keep the same flow and just add them in vs dropping tune and then raising again.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  8. Dimitris

Dimitris Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Reposer No, In The Brain is pretty nice, the only thing is, it's too loud. Like it peaks on your mixer. Cut unwanted frequencies, ALWAYS mix with low volume (you can raise it as loud as you want in the mastering process). Other than that it's pretty good, love the vocal samples!

Important : Each musical style has its quirks. In rock you need to be melodic and powerful, in house you can have the simplest tracks in the world (a bass and drum beats) and it will work fine. Take the styles you like and observe what are their intricacies, their building blocks. Obviously in house bass and kick are the most important. In rock the guitars. In dubstep Skrillex ( :p ). In hip hop (depending on who you ask) the party vibes, the samples and the rhymes. Simple examples, but in order to build something, you need to know with what elements it is made.

What can you do? Listen to the music you like. Branch to other musical styles. You say you want to learn how to program midi. That's perfect. Your mind will open up to melody creation and to music theory. If you can buy a midi controller it will be easier plus you will learn how to play an instrument (at least the basic chords). Don't try to overcompensate. Listen to your track.Do you like everything you listen? If not, remove the stuff you don't like. When you finish your track, leave it for a day or two and then come back with a clear head. You will find if it has problems and if it's good to go. Don't throw stuff in there hoping they will work.

And samples are good. If you like something, use it. Nobody prevents you from doing that :)

On Traptank it's the chord the Strings are playing. It sounds completely wrong with the guitar and bass melody. My suggestion is to take the Strings and make a completely differend song. I like the chords they are playing. It can become a cool chillout song. It just doesn't work with Traptank is my oppinion.

Btw don't get discouraged from my comments, if you like making music then keep on it and work hard on it(actually music does not feel like work, so...play with it).

Just keep creating. If you want to ask anything specific, send me a pm.

Reposer likes this.
  9. .Gage

.Gage Pizza Day, Every Day Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ive been working a bit on some soundtracks myself since I got most of my libraries back from some unknown deletion back when I was on Windows 7

https://instaud.io/auB - Here's a thing

https://instaud.io/alg - Another thing

10. Benjamin Kuli

Benjamin Kuli Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Reposer: Here's my two cents about the songs:

In the Brain Reworked: Sorry, but I couldn't listen the whole song because of the terrible sound quality. I know it is a remake, but the whole sound design part of the song is just too low quality and you can actually hear it from not only the beats, but especially from the vocal.

Traptank: While I agree with Dimitris's critics, I actually quite enjoyed the song and I welcome the sudden changes in the song itself. Definitely my favourite from each of the songs

Upwards: While the quality is really okay here, I actually found it a bit too monotonous for my taste, even with all the changes and the vocal too.

And here's a suggestion: If you really like to create new things and you prefer thinking out of the box, I suggest you creating experimental music. In that genre, there are literally no limits in what you create and which tools you use, you're free to create the sounding and the elements you really like from even multiple genres, and still creating something that people may enjoy. You can even follow your own ideas/rules and you don't even have to check out other artists' experimental tracks.

11. Reposer

First Language:
    English
    @Benjamin: Thanks for the feedback, I re-uploaded 'In The Brain', re-mastered a bit, lowering the volume, and lowered the BPM from 115 to 110, which fixed the odd vocals and hopefully the drums? I couldn't really tell what exactly was odd with them, but let me know if that was what worked, if not I'll look into it a bit more. The link in the original post is the updated one, so just use that if you want to re-listen to it.

@Dimitris: It's alright, I'm open to criticism since I don't really have much training to be honest. My 'training' or whatever you want to call it is just me making this stuff. I'm just some 16-year old youngin' learning my way around stuff, I look up some tutorials on things and the like every once in a while, but for the most part I'll just wing it when I make stuff. Anything you guys tell me here is good learning for me.

Dimitris likes this.
  12. Dimitris

Dimitris Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Reposer Dude, I was 18 when I started learning the guitar by myself and 15 years later I am still self taught. If you love making music and want to seriously get into it, you can do it. YouTube is full of tutorials for beginners. Theory, techniques, mixing, tips on composition, you can find many things. Search the internet and at the same time practice what you learn. You WILL become better each and every day when you start understanding how things work. You have the drive, now obtain the knowledge!

13. Benjamin Kuli

First Language:
    hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    MUCH better in my opinion. While there is still some minor resonance in the song (which can actually be fixed with an equalizer), the quality makes it much more enjoyable than its previous version and I can actually appreciate the song itself now. It worked, that's for sure.

It's time again for me to share with you another music I wrote for a project. This one was made for an RPG game, and this time I wanted to make a battle theme that is not only epic, but also uplifting and motivating for the player too.

14. Archduke

Archduke Jack of all Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Benjamin Kuli: I like it, but everything feels out of sync with that percussive plucked string that repeats. It's also a bit repetitive.

RPG Game? Role-playing game game? Uh huh.

- Duke

15. .Gage

.Gage Pizza Day, Every Day Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Working on another thing, gotta add quite a bit more stuff so it doesnt sound so loopy  https://instaud.io/azs

Saltwater Croc likes this.
  16. Dirge

Dirge Sound Engineer Veteran

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I gotta say, I love the composer community here. There's so many people doing so many different kinds of awesome music!

I had the bug a few days ago - had The Devil Went Down To Georgia stuck in my head, wouldn't go away, so I sat down and recorded it. Here's the raw records, not mixed except a little bit of panning and a hint of ducking on the rhythm guitars, and not mastered at all. Also no vocals because I can't sing to save my life and I can't find anyone (yet!) that can sing it the way I want. But hey, it was fun. :D

17. Dimitris

Dimitris Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Dirge Pretty cool and love the violin melody. Also your lead guitar playing is very good!

A very quick tip if you like, to make every demo song sound incredible. Record 2 guitars seperately. Pan the first 75% left and the second 75% right. This way you create a more powerful sound and create room for the bass and the drums. In the song sounds like you haven't used bass (even though I can hear it in 2'07, but when the guitars play it's buried). Just try it and tell me what you think. You don't even need to mix stuf, just pan the 2 guitars.

18. Dirge

Dirge Sound Engineer Veteran

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Dimitris I have a degree in audio engineering from a prestigious academy :p The guitars are panned hard left and right. I double-track every guitar recording, usually with two separate guitars to add a different tone, but the rhythm guitar is arranged for 7-string and I only have the one, so I had to use that for both guitar takes. The reason they sound so close together is because I used very similar tones to record them, and there's a lot of overlap - same cabinet model, just different settings. A couple corrective EQ scoops and boosts and they go nice and wide - before any stereo width adjustment in the mastering phase, never mind any compression or anything - and a little bit of separate EQ to shape the sound a little more polishes it off. The bass sounds muffled is because the kick is seriously heavy on the low end, and the bass and kick are chewing on each other something fierce. I'm not bothering to do any mixing at all on it until I've got the vocals recorded, because that changes the game considerably, especially around the 2-3 kHz range. No point mixing a song before everything's recorded, after all.

Dimitris likes this.
  19. Benjamin Kuli

First Language:
    hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    dayum, you're right. I wanted to write role-playing video game, I don't know why I wrote RPG game. >_>

Thank you. I guess I realized what's the problem with the song: the pluck is too loud compared to the other insruments, and especially the vocal part. I will try to remaster it to feel more "synched".

20. TheSt0ryTeller

TheSt0ryTeller Cool Dude Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks! For some reason the vocals in Ruby weren't mixed how they were on the Studio One software, I tried to amend this problem but couldn't. Overall I did like how these turned out!