Post Your Music

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Archduke

Archduke Jack of all Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @NTakamura: It seems very melodically confused and busy. So many things going on at once I'm not sure what I'm meant to follow. I like the crescendos in the middle. But yeah, it could really use more clear direction.

- Duke

2. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Here is a piece I did as a commission. It's a video game song naturally.   (My client know I share their music unless they explicity ask me not to :p )

So here is a whimsical and adventurous piece.

I think I've found my niche in being adventurous and epic. :D

The Roads that Lie Ahead

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2015
    Dimitris likes this.
  3. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the feedback ArchDuke

4. mmr

mmr Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    opinion?

Cheeto-senpai and Dimitris like this.
  5. Kaimen

Kaimen Noisemaker Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Iron Croc: dayum man... as a person who is just not able to compose adventurous, happy themes I applaud you. Excellent use of the brass. The only thing I noticed is that the bass is a little bit too dominant for my taste. But all in all... this is something I want to be able to compose, too! I envy you! XD

@mmr: So... uhm... to be honest with you. I found it very hard listening to your piece since... it's not really something I would listen to for fun. However, I did notice some things. Mainly that it somewhat reminds me of the Time Splitters games and even Mass Effect so some extent. I think it would make for a good background piece in those kind of games. I just don't see it in an RPG. At least not in your typical 16-bit RPG Maker game.

--------------

"Call of the War Drums"

So... there was this random message in the Skype group chat with a link to a soundtrack from a game called "Koudelka" and the "request" to have a similar soundtrack made. Now, I wanted to try something like that for the longest time. "That" being composing battle themes that are not your standard upbeat, fast themes you hear in practically every game (#nogeneralizing). What I did was build this soundtrack around the percussion. Normally I compose the other way around. I tried to make it sound heavy, mysterious and maybe even a little creepy here and there. I'm just not too sure about the title. Originally I was aiming for a more "tribal" sound but couldn't do that due to the lack of proper instruments. :p

Dimitris likes this.
  6. taistelusopuli

taistelusopuli Your Friendly Neighborhood Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    @Kaimen: I like the mood and feeling you have there. It does have those characteristics of mystery and creepiness you intended. I wouldn't necessarily connect it with a battle though. The drums are not quite aggressive enough but regardless of that I am sure that the piece has applications elsewhere =)

Something I wrote recently. Do you feel also that it lacks the illusion of space with some instruments?

Dimitris likes this.
  7. Dimitris

Dimitris Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Iron Croc Very nice composition, love the flute though in general it doesn't differ from other map theme tracks. Also go for a more clear production in the future, it will help. The skills are there though, I like it.

@mmr I have one word for you : Darksynth. Check the genre and I think you will find your calling.

@Kaimen It has a mysterious feel, something like an island tribe would have as a theme in a game. The tribal vibes are there so good job!

@taistelusopuli In the beginning I was thinking of early 20th century classical composers, the theme of 2001:Space Odyssey etc. Then I do get a "threat" vibe and believe this track could work as a soundtrack in a 70s movie. Not much of a space vibe though. More of a "We're going to steal the rich man's golden cobra statue" or something :) Good job.

Ok, here is my newest track "Final Approach". It is released with the Pluto : A Synth Odyssey compilation, a compilation inspired by the New Horizons mission to Pluto. As the name suggests, I tried to convey a feeling of anticipation into the void before the mission reaches it's destination. I hope you enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/dimi-kaye/dimi-kaye-final-approach

8. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My latest piece.

9. Kaimen

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @NTakamura: Really nice and relaxing. It kinda reminded me of the Paper Mario games for some reason. Especially the beginning. Then it reminded me of World of Goo's "Are you coming home? Love, MOM" which is a very awesome piece. And yours is too for reminding me of it and making me feel the same way it did. I really like it. It does its job quite well as a lullaby. :)

-------

"Danger from the Stars"
    I tried a combination of strings and synthesizer for this one. I really like those futuristic sounding tracks that combine classical instruments and the synthesizer. I think this one can be used in a variety of situations. I can see it as character theme, dungeon theme, event theme and (with a little fantasy) even as battle theme. :D

10. YagamiKyo

YagamiKyo Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    @Kaimen I really like the futuristic vibe it gives. Quite interesting. Good work. However, I can see it as a dungeon theme or an event more than a battle.

Well, I have been playing with some free libraries and pulled this today. I love certain parts of it but I'm kinda upset with others. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
  11. ChipZealot

ChipZealot Composer/Sound Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hey guys, I’m a newbie to this site (but a long-time composer/musician) so I figured it was time to stop lurking/listening and actually post something here!

EDIT (thanks Sharm for the suggestion): Here are a couple things I've written recently, the first is a dramatic orchestral theme for a cutscene, the second is a  chiptune character theme.

Also, SO much cool stuff on this thread.
    @Kaimen I dig the chromatic melodic ideas in Danger from the Stars!
    @McTricky I’ve been playing that battle II theme on repeat for like the last 20 minutes haha. So good.
    @Dimi Kaye, that part where the mix opens up at 1:18 or so… oh man. Sounds awesome dude.
    @IronCroc: Adventurous and epic indeed! I really like how it sets up a triumphant vibe and keeps the energy high throughout.@NTakamura: really nice. Have you messed with the panning much in this piece? I think it could be wider, like if you panned that synth in the beginning so that some of the signal is coming in harder on both the left and right channels, it could give it a bit fuller of a sound.

@YagamiKyo: you should try throwing some more percussion instruments in there! I think it’d help fill out the sound.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
    YagamiKyo likes this.
  12. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    ChipZealot, please only post a few songs (or one, one is best) at a time.  You're much more likely to get real feedback that way for one thing.

Saltwater Croc and ChipZealot like this.
  13. Clydous

Clydous Slowly moseying my way back... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @ChipZealot: The first track kind of reminds me of something that might be heard in a Metal Slug game, though that might be due to the military-like snares and the soaring horns. It's pretty.

Your second piece is quirky and bouncy and a treat to listen to, although the direction is a tad bit confusing near the end of the loop. My opinion may be a bit biased, though, as I'm absurdly fond of chip tune music. XD

ChipZealot likes this.
  14. YagamiKyo

YagamiKyo Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    @ChipZealot I quite like your second track. I should look on doing some chiptunes as well.

I added some strings and more percussion to Playful March. It's more interesting but I feel as if something is missing.

15. Dimitris

Dimitris Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @ChipZealot You've got composition and production down. Love both the tracks, catchy and the chiptune has blues influences in it..? Cool!

ChipZealot likes this.
  16. chungsie

chungsie Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  17. ChipZealot

ChipZealot Composer/Sound Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hey everyone, thanks for your thoughtful comments!

@Clydous: I just checked out your SoundCloud – great stuff! “Hatching Life” is really pretty, and I love the way it develops. Sounds like it would work great with dialogue in an RPG for a tender moment. Which libraries does that one use?

@Dimi Kaye: Thanks! Yeah, I’m a guitar player and I can’t shake the blues influence :p . It works its way into a lot of my pieces whether I realize it or not, haha.

@YagamiKyo: Thanks! Yeah, chiptunes are a lot of fun : ) I think the added percussion is nice! A couple things you could try – the melody is a bit on the short side, so maybe you could experiment with making the melody a bit longer at times? This might give you some new ideas and help avoid a sense of the piece being too repetitive. You also don’t really have any low/low middle sounds (tuba/bass/etc.) other than maybe one drum sound, which might be part of why you feel something is missing from it. Might be interesting to try to experiment with that. Hope some of that is helpful!

18. Dimitris

Dimitris Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @ChipZealot The pentatonic scale is sneaky like that:D

ChipZealot likes this.
  19. ShaneValentine

ShaneValentine Villager Member

First Language:
    French
    Hey there,

I thought I would share some compositions with you. I try to compose a little of everything from orchestral to industrial :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2015
  20. Kaimen

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @chungsie: Dude... too much. I'd suggest picking a few of your compositions for us to listen to. Not... your entire Soundcloud. :D

@Shane Valentine: Too much, too! But I'm gonna pick a few and write down my thoughts anyway. Two or three should do...

Light Hearted Hero

It took me a little while to figure out where I have heard those woodwinds in the background before. It's the intro of Skotein's "Road to Viridian City" from the Kanto Symphony. XD

Anyway, it sure sounds peaceful, playful and cute. And that picture of Toon Link is the best one you could've picked. I can't even describe how much this track reminds me of The Legend of Zelda. Just the strings in the second half didn't really do it for me. And is it just me or are the strings actually spazzing out around 2:32 when they fade...?

The Fearless

Holy mother of soundtracks! Heavy drums, choir, brass... this thing's got everything. But to me it sounds more like a piece fit for a movie, not a game. At least not your typical 16-bit RPG. But still... I'm sitting here in awe. 

Hostile TakeOver - Main Theme

This sure differs from your orchestral work. But it's still just as good as all your other tracks. I love how this one continuously builds up, adding more layers as it goes on. I somehow get strong Mass Effect vibes from this one. And when something reminds me of Mass Effect, I automatically love it.

Okay, so don't be mad that I didn't listen to everything you posted. Three is already as much as it is. Maybe the others have something to say about your other pieces. :)

--------

So... what is it with me and always posting after the persons who make the most awesome music around here...? Way to boost my self-confidence...

Anyway...

Mysterious Places

As you may or may not know, I have been using Logic Pro as my primary means of noise-making for quite some time. However, today (or was it yesterday...) I switched back to using good ol' FL Studio which also means that I am back to using my better orchestra VSTs. Here's a little something I wrapped up in about three hours of composing. I was actually debating making it a march with timpani and snare drums instead of just hi-hat and cymbals. What do you think?

Rogue Technology ~ Boss Battle Theme

And this is the track I composed immediately before switching back to FL Studio (so... about two days ago). I don't know what it is with me and intros but for some odd reason I either nail them or fail horribly. This one is a case of failing horribly, in my opinion. I wanted to make a fitting (boss) battle theme to "Danger from the Stars" continuing the combination of synth and strings (and a flute as extra this time). I just get the feeling that it doesn't have enough OOMPH. Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2015