Post Your Music

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ShaneValentine

ShaneValentine Villager Member

First Language:
    French
    Thank you for your comments ! You've got nice stuff too ! Following you on SoundCloud now ^_^

2. ChipZealot

ChipZealot Composer/Sound Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Chungsie: Some nice melodic ideas here. Yeah, it can be frustrating to only have a limited number of instruments to work with. Have you looked into sample libraries at all? They can be kind of expensive, but are a great way to create fuller arrangements digitally. The other thing to look into would be VST’s/Soundfonts. There are some good free ones out there that will help you to get new sounds for your pieces!

Ms Littlefish wrote a great article about that here:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/35039-my-recommendations-for-free-music-making-resources/?hl=soundfonts

@ShaneValentine: These are great! I see the Trent Reznor influence. Really crisp production too! I especially like Revolt. Feels like it would work great with a military-themed game :) I just followed you on Soundcloud too, haha.

@Kaimen: I really like your boss theme. I feel like the musical part of it works really well – I think the “Oomph” issue might actually have more to do with the production. You could experiment with panning some of the instruments to the outsides more to give it a “wider” feel. (I love the Sample Delay effect in Logic Pro X for this, not sure what the FL Studio equivalent would be. With Sample Delay, I leave the Left Delay at 0 Samples and crank the Right Delay to 1500 Samples or higher, whatever works to give it a nice, wide sound). I sometimes start by seeing if I can apply that to synths or any of the drums, and then see if I like it and adjust from there.

Also I feel like there could be more mid-high end in your mix, to fill out the balance a bit more. Even just bringing out your high instruments like strings and synths might do that. But it’s a really nice tune! Sorry if some of that was old news to you. Hope at least some of it was helpful!

3. ShaneValentine

First Language:
    French
     Thank you ! Actually, Revolt! is mainly inspired from the C&C games ~_^

4. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    https://soundcloud.com/dlsea/danza-de-los-monstros

A recent commission for a client. This had me groovin' all the while, mangs.   This is my first time ever working with an electric guitar and a trumpet (a milestone) and my first time working with better samples! FINALLY! (Another milestone).

I'm posting this here to show off.

NTakamura likes this.
  5. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Iron Croc

I really like the trumpet medley it really suggests you are about to fight a monster. Also the cymbals really compliment the guitar 0:39 seconds in.

Here is a song that I made a while back but never got around to posting it. Hope you like.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2015
  6. Reposer

Reposer Composer, Cool Guy Member

First Language:
    English
    @Kaimen: I love these two pieces! I do agree that Rogue Technology has a bit of an odd start but I can't really pinpoint why @-@. However, I do REALLY like the rest of it, and all the melodies you have going on. Great work on these songs!

@Iron Croc: Ooh, I really liked how this one introduced itself, and the sound stays really nice and fitting throughout. Nothing to really say here except that it's good work, I loved listening to this piece!

@NTakamura: This is nice, not much to say, nice melodies and a calming song, while still having a certain 'oomph' to it. Nothing fancy for you either, but nice song!

After all these orchestral/traditional instrumental songs I feel a little silly posting this one ;-; But alas, I shall anyways cause screw et. Spent a bit of time going over and trying to refine this one, since the last time I did a hip-hoppy rap thing it was kinda bleh. Let me know if anything sounds off, I spent a great portion of the day listening to it before editing it, but that coulda just phased out the weirdness for me. Thanks for any feedback you can give!

Saltwater Croc and Kaimen like this.
  7. Kaimen

Kaimen Noisemaker Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @NTakamura: I think your piece is alright. It's nothing too fancy. But at some points in the second half I thought the piano and sax clashed instead of really working together. Might just be me though. My ears listen differently to saxophones. I did use to play one after all. :D

@Reposer: I'll be honest. I'm not a huge fan of that "hip-hoppy rap" stuff. And I don't really care much about lyrics, so nothing on those from me, except that I thought that the sudden change of singer kinda threw me off. Now the synths: I really liked the intro and the overall use. Especially the blips you used at e.g. 00:29 were a nice touch. I just think the song could have used a few more "lyricless" parts. A solo in between singers would have been nice and maybe wouldn't have thrown me off as much. For my taste, the singing is a little bit too excessive.

----------

Okay guys, serious business. I'm actually starting to get proud of my compositions. As I've said, I'm working with better orchestral VSTs and the improved VST quality might actually have affected my composing. So much even, that I'm actually considering to finally go commercial. :D

But enough about that, this is about the music! 

Castle of the Fiends

The second piece I threw together with FL and Miroslav Philharmonic. This time I made use of the violin as the lead instrument for, I think, the first time ever. Another first is the harpsichord solo (which might be a little too quiet?) that acts as a bridge before the loop. I didn't really have anything specific in mind when composing this. I just started and kinda went with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
    Archduke likes this.
  8. Archduke

Archduke Jack of all Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Iron Croc: I really enjoyed that track! It did some unexpected things and I liked most of them. Keep it up! <3

@ShaneValentine: Uhh... wow. I recommend posting at most 3 tracks. o-o

@Kaimen: Mysterious places was certainly very mysterious. I felt like it needed a bit more to it and maybe some countermelody, but I like it as it is as well!

- Duke

Kaimen and ShaneValentine like this.
  9. ShaneValentine

First Language:
    French
    I know, but I wanted to show different types

of music ^_^

10. Kaimen

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll just pull this down here since I got a little update. Another orchestral track. And as I said previously, I'm actually starting to get proud of my soundtracks. :D

Great Ruler of the Dark

Just finished this one today. And... I really don't have much to say about it. XD

11. chungsie

chungsie Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    ya, I have Finale Showcase. It only allows ten measures of instruments a page. alot of what is on my sound cloud is a real life play of what I wrote on that software.

12. ProjectTrinity

ProjectTrinity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Look how beautifully late I am. Sorry about that! And thank you very much! Guild Wars 2 definitely has stellar music. I'm always aiming to reach those levels of tearjerkingly beautiful music. ='3

@NTakamura: Glad I took a listen to this track. Instruments stopping and starting up again was always a beautiful technique that I wish I'd do more often myself. So hearing it here was great. Also, if you didn't play that harp by hand....then my condolences and praise because imagining having to put all those notes manually on a piano roll makes me sad. lol

13. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You should NEVER feel silly posting music. No one musician here is MORE IMPORTANT or WORTH MORE than the next musician just because of his or her skill. You count too. Remember that! :D

Archduke and David Lister like this.
  14. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My first string quartet I made a while back.

15. .Gage

.Gage Pizza Day, Every Day Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  16. ShaneValentine

First Language:
    French
  17. ShaneValentine

First Language:
    French
    Re-uploaded an old record on my SoundCloud. It's not perfect but still it brings me old memories xD

18. Archduke

Archduke Jack of all Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @NTakamura: Way better than my first string quintet for sure! It has a good amount of variety and the pacing is pretty good. Overall really nice.

@Gage: I'm not big into this type of ambient music, but I can tell you put a lot of effort into it and I think it paid off!

@ShaneValentine: Big, heavy, metal! I can dig it.

I made this a month or so ago for a game and I'm really proud of how it turned out.

- Duke

ShaneValentine likes this.
  19. ShaneValentine

First Language:
    French
    Thanks alot Duke ! Nice stuff you posted too :)

20. Kaimen

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ShaneValentine: Normally, I really dig heavy metal stuff. But I felt yours was a little bit too repetetive. It could've used a little more variety. At least in the first 2/3 of the track. The last third is amazing though. :)

@Archduke: I needed some time to figure out what it was that your track reminded me of. I'm still not too sure but I think it's the Donkey Kong Country games. Guess it's also got some Shimomura vibes to it. I really, really like the xylophone/marimba/whatever it is in the background. This is another one of those songs that I feel would sound amazing in 8 bit. Awesome work! ^_^

---------

Alright, let's hope I'm not ignored again like last time I posted some of my soundtracks. XD

I just finished this one today. It's my first genuine try at something calm and relaxing. And I think for never really having done something like this before, it turned out pretty well. I kinda took inspiration from "Zora's Domain", I guess. So that's why this track sounds a little more "seaside-ish". I think it would also fit with a forest or as a village theme in general. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2015