Post Your Music

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Archduke

Archduke Jack of all Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Kaimen: I really like this. Although, in some places it seems very busy. Like all of the instruments are trying to get your attention at once, rather than them supporting each other melodically. Like at around 0:22. You did really great overall, though!

And I'll definitely have to try arranging it in 8-bit to see what happens. 0:

- Duke

2. HeroofTime123

HeroofTime123 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @ShaneValentine: I like that heavy metal feel, but I think you should add another instrument (it could be guitar to keep with the rest of them but that might get messy) that plays a more drawn-out note beneath the more prominent instruments. It might help keep it flowing and solve the problem Kaimen mentioned about being repetitive.

@ArchDuke: It seems very tense in the build-up, which I assume is the point. But once you add that main instrument, it kinda seems messy. It seems to overpower the rest of the instruments. I feel like something more subtle would be better.

@Kaimen: I do hear the influence of Zora's Domain but I actually hear the one from Oracle of Ages. Either way, it definitely achieves that calm feeling. The flute is the only thing that really makes it seem more "forest-like" to me. Also that faint choir is a really nice touch.

I have with me today two more tracks I'd like to share.

This first one is a dungeon theme. it's supposed to be a "tower of the gods" type dungeon so I was aiming for an ethereal sound, but still powerful.

Next is another dungeon but this track is much shorter. I took some inspiration for this from Key Cavern from Link's Awakening. It's simple and short, but I like it.

3. Archduke

Archduke Jack of all Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If we were just considering the track on its own merits I would completely agree. Something like a flute or a violin would be far nicer than the square/violin combo. With the context, what I did was what the commissioner wanted. Although, I think the real reason it gets a bit messy is because of the terrible mixing. I didn't spend a whole lot of time mixing that entire soundtrack, haha. I really should have, though.

- Duke

4. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I rewrite of a old piano solo adapted to a orchestra.

5. ProjectTrinity

ProjectTrinity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A remake of a whimsy song! This version is a little darker and more intense, but it makes up for it with arguably superior vocals. I left the original version below it in case anyone wanted to compare!

The 2015 Version

The Original Version

6. LeeOccleshaw

LeeOccleshaw Stone Dragon Workshop Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just found out about soundfonts! :D

7. ChipZealot

ChipZealot Composer/Sound Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @LeeOccleShaw: Soundfonts are the best!! Which soundfont did you use for the percussion in the beginning? I dig the track!  

LeeOccleshaw likes this.
  8. LeeOccleshaw

First Language:
    English
    A combination of a couple that I got from some compilation - a Tamboura/Tabla from 'Indian Ensemble' and Conga & Timbale in 'Latin Drums Large'. Thanks btw, I think they've helped me push my music a little bit more, I only found out about Soundfonts yesterday! They're awesome. :D

ChipZealot likes this.
  9. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The song "When Time Runs Out" is a string symphony I was in the middle of composing before my grandmother pasted away. The song was inspired by "Adagio for Strings" for string ensemble, Op. 11a, by American composer Samuel Barber. Before that point I really did not like the piece since it was so slow. So after it happen I just came back to it and continued writing. My grief for her help sooth my emotions and is also a gift to her for all she has done for me. I hope you listen to this song and hear the emotions I poured in this piece.

https://soundcloud.com/naoki-takamura/when-time-runs-out

LeeOccleshaw likes this.
  10. LeeOccleshaw

First Language:
    English
    I could feel the emotions - good job.

Here's my latest song, it's a little bit of a contrast to yours.  :)

NTakamura likes this.
  11. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @NTakamura: I love that crescendo; whenever I hear an artful use of dynamics, it makes me want to play with them more.  Sorry for your loss; I can tell you really loved her from that piece.

@LeeOccleshaw: Slick drums there.  I think the tone of the synth at 1:32 is a little overwhelming, which is neat in a way since I think you were going for that, but it's drowning out a lot of the pluckier synths underneath it that sound really sweet.

Here's the song for the first town in Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass:

NTakamura likes this.
  12. LeeOccleshaw

First Language:
    English
    Haha, I love your song. Makes me want to hang out in a field of jackalopes. As for my song, you're right - I need to work on how I balance my tracks. I just poke things until they seem right in the moment but getting the balance right is something I need to work on! Edit: I've remastered it a little, think it's better now.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2015
  13. Housekeeping

First Language:
    English
    Thanks; somebody's got to lure those jackalopes out if we're going to club them, and I'm just happy to do my part.

Tranquil Tendencies sounds a lot better now.  There's still one small thing that's irking me a bit, though.  I think it might be the timbre of the instrument you selected at certain pitches, but at :46 and 1:32, there's a harsh, high-pitched sound that pulls me out of the song.  Again, I think it's just the timbre of the lead at that pitch.  Maybe toy around there--you might be able to circumvent that using a chord, arpeggio, or even possibly a volume swell or adding vibrato.

LeeOccleshaw likes this.
  14. taistelusopuli

taistelusopuli Your Friendly Neighborhood Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    I could not help but think of a farm @Housekeeping. Calm, chill, green, everything that smells like everything green. My Animal Friends is a very nice tune ;)

Now, this is a biiiit longer. And the sounds are not that great in my opinion but, the music is still great and that is the main point, right?

https://soundcloud.com/markus-lappalainen/helpless-demo

edit: Sry, for some reason this computer doesn't want to embed it...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2015
  15. Housekeeping

First Language:
    English
    @taistelusopuli: A farm is kind of what I was going for--it's a small rural town inhabited by animals, so that fits pretty well! 

Your track is interesting.  Around 4:06 it totally goes full-on Dragon Quest!  There are lots of changes in that piece--is this a standalone piece or are you planning on implementing it in a game?

16. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    @Housekeeping It is actually a standalone piece I made some time ago. This week I was planning on updating the sounds to some thing more realistic so I could start sending it to orchestras around where I live. In hopes that it would be played but we'll see if that happens yet :) Helpless is a symphonic poem about a balloon that flies off and for a moment it enjoys it's freedom and the trials of freedom. Then in the end it returns to the safety of it's own little sphere where it belongs.

Housekeeping likes this.
  17. Kaimen

Kaimen Noisemaker Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    With Halloween coming up, I decided to compose some fitting themes. And this is one of them. It's not one of those serious scary type of songs but more one of those "cartoon-y scary" ones. Think Luigi's Mansion. :)

"Mansion of Many Mysteries"

I know, I said "think Luigi's Mansion" but this theme was in no way inspired by Luigi's Mansion. I was just told that it reminded people of Luigi's Mansion. I just chose that title because of the m-alliteration, that's all. :D

18. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    @Pumpkaimen Very nice! ;)  Mansion of Many Mysteries certainly has a mysterious tone to it. I was thinking of a few levels in the first Crash Bandicoot while listening to this :D balance was nice and there was enough variation to keep things interesting throughout the piece. Like much of game music, I couldn't listen to this by itself but in a game it will work great.

Do you play everything in yourself or do you use a notation software like Finale/Sibelius/Notion/MuseScore etc?

Kaimen likes this.
  19. Kaimen

Kaimen Noisemaker Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you very much. Glad you liked it. :)

I'm actually not playing everything in. I put every note in by hand and from what I heard that seems to be rather uncommon. But I've been doing it this way for almost 4 years now, so... I kinda got used to it. Plus I don't have a midi keyboard and I can't even play the piano anyway. :)

20. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    @Pumpkaimen Hmm, it depends in what circles you are in. When I used MuseScore and Guitar Pro, I typed everything with my regular qwerty. But once I got myself an actual DAW (currently ProTools) I started playing things in. Gives a human dimension to music :) My point being, it is not that uncommon as you might think.

Here is something I wrote just recently for a prospective client ;)

Those you know about normalizing I have a question. Does some of the transients from the percussion sound a bit too compressed or is it just my sucky laptop speakers? I tested with other devices and speakers at home and I didn't hear it. So I'd love to hear what you guys are hearing?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015