Post Your Music

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Chorvaqueen

Chorvaqueen Professional Tonio Apologist Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Housekeeping

thank you very much for the feedback, recently got my hands on a VST so I might be able to do spice it up with something

also sorry for the broken link, this should fix it now (gonna edit post too)

Vocaloids are fun to use but I think people will appreciate it more if they look at it as a hobby.

2. Tobbx

Tobbx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    @Housekeeping

Thank you.  :)

I have listened alot to those soundtracks to. But my main inspiration would be Yasunori Mitsuda, Motoi Sakuraba and Nobou Uematsu. However, when you actually mention it, Kristas Theme really has a Tales feel to it. My main inspiration was actually Theme of Rena from Star Ocean The Second Story but it sounds more like a Tales song..  :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2015
  3. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Iron Croc: Thanks!  I don't specifically go for things that sound like midis, but I try to find samples that sound video-gamey for Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass, so that's probably a big part of it.

4. Tobbx

Tobbx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    taistelusopuli
    I Actually use Reason 8 and a Rack Extension that's named ProjectSAM Orchestral Sampler. 

Thank you for the feedback. I'm very conservative when it comes to using reverb. I find it's very easy to drown a mix in it. Especially adding it to percussion can really take alot of the punch out. But when you say it the song would fit with a more stage like feel to it. So maybe high passing some more reverb atleast would make it even better,  :)

5. taistelusopuli

taistelusopuli Your Friendly Neighborhood Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    @Housekeeping Yeah, I guess because of PotC that sounds very piratey now days :D Who would've thought that what Hans Zimmer would compose during 48-hours (allnighter if I remember right) would define the sound of a comedic pirate for years to come...

@Tobbx ProjectSAM would've been my second guess :) EWQLSO sounds at times very similar.

Yah, reverb is a difficult thing. High pass with a slow curve could do the trick. I use a pre-fader reverb send linked to the track panning for everything and dial down the amount for percussion. I guess I usually end up around -12dB from unity gain.

6. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Tobbx: I actually am just now seeing your response to me.  I didn't say it at the time, but that song actually did remind me of Star Ocean big time; I just said the Tales series since it applied more widely to your tracks.  So, mission accomplished!

7. KillaMaaki

KillaMaaki Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm relatively new to composing, and have a definite fondness for RPG music... XD
    Also relatively new to RPG Maker, and just registered an account on these forums a few minutes ago :)

Anyway, here's a battle theme I have been working on. It's sort of supposed to be a somewhat stereotypical JRPG battle theme. I got inspiration from Schematist's work, the Tales Of series, some of the battle themes that ship with VX Ace (Battle 1 is actually quite catchy!), and a little bit of chord inspiration from TM Revolution's Heart of Sword.

The main thing I'm not sure about this piece is the intro / loop point. That bit... eh, I just didn't have any ideas. I wanted the intro to serve as both intro to the song, and as a sort of bridge section... ( is that what it's called in looping VGM? song structure terminology somewhat confuses me when talking about loops XD ), not sure if I hit the mark at all.

8. rcamus

rcamus Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    KillaMaaki likes this.
  9. KillaMaaki

First Language:
    English
    @rcamus Hot dayum that's some good work. Some of those songs remind me a lot of both Koji Kondo's work as well as Nobuo Uematsu. I also get a little bit of Yoko Shimomura vibe here and there in some of those songs...

I wish I was that good XD just gotta practice I guess.

10. rcamus

rcamus Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the kind words man! Those composers are some of my top favorites for sure, but there are way too many more to mention. :) I heard some of your tracks. They sound good though!  

One thing I believe in is that the composers we idolize will always somehow find their voice in our own music. So just keep listening ! That's the best kind of practice for me at least.  

11. Secret Machines

Secret Machines Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Been checking this forum out learning about game music.  I have 5 tracks almost complete that are in a sorta 16-bit and xenogears FF7 quality range.  Keep posting would love to hear more of what others are creating

Here's one that didn't make it in a documentary:

Refuge - ambient, melodic, warmth

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-goodwin-composer/refuge-120bpm

12. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    A nice space spirited ambience you had there! Too bad it didn't make it to the documentary =\ what kind of a documentary was it? might be that the texture was a bit too thick for what the director was looking for?

13. Secret Machines

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks taistelusopuli!  It actually fit, but a film board suggested there be less music so the film felt more "real".  It was a bit painful, but after watching the film with less music the director and I agreed they were right. = more library tracks!

14. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    Yeah, sometimes that happens. It hurts everytime to hear that something is not good or your work was for "nothing". The good thing is that every piece that is composed will contribute to your craft and skiils ;)

15. LeeOccleshaw

LeeOccleshaw Stone Dragon Workshop Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I have been playing around with my old song again - I had posted the original a while back but have changed it a lot since then. :)

16. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just thought I'd share with you guys what I've been working on recently.

17. Secret Machines

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Vey nice work McTricky!  I'll be listening to your soundcloud tomorrow.  How long have you been writing for games?

18. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I love your stuff, McTricky.  Kingdom Hearts influence on these?

19. KillaMaaki

First Language:
    English
    dayum those sounds good. I've always been really partial to heavy emphasis on violins and piano in battle themes... I second Sharm's thoughts, I hear some Kingdom Hearts in there :)

20. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Here is something I did that I might release to the public for free use...  It's called "hiploop" because you might move your hips to this very, very short loop.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2015
    Kyuukon likes this.