Post Your Music

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Secret Machines

Secret Machines Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @sunbather well regardless good luck with the studio sessions!  

@azura  really nice cover, you really have that Japanese sound nailed with your voice.  Did you also do all the production/programming on the song?  

I recently scored a comedy short on youtube about RPGs called "Lion's Blaze 3"(in good humor, I love them too).  These 2 songs both have vocals by my long time band member David and an epic/medieval type influence.

♥ azura ♥ likes this.
  2. sunbather

sunbather Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    This is fresh off the conveyor belt... DISCLAIMER: Extremely loud and agressive

3. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @sunbather

The medley sounds great but I think you should experiment with more sound dynamics so the song does stay at the same volume. Other then the song as potential. 

I have not posted here in a while since all my songs as of late are for a game I am working on. This song does not belong to the game. It is the 2nd movement of the series of song When Time runs out. You can read more about the song and listen to the first movement by reading the description. 

4. Kaimen

Kaimen Noisemaker Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @NTakamura: I do have to say, I love me some strings. And as of late, I'm more into classical music than ever. That's why I liked your song so much, I think. I could've gone with a little more pizzis or generally a little more articulation variance in there. The strings almost exclusively playing "normally" kinda dulls out the piece a little. That said, it is a soothing song that definitely calmed me down a little while listening to it. The mixture of sadness and happiness are well captured. All in all, it conveyed the feeling you wanted to portray quite well. :)

------------

Hoping to not get overlooked, I present you with my second song of my "Kaimen Retro" series - a chiptune/8-bit dungeon theme.

.Metrobot and NTakamura like this.
  5. taistelusopuli

taistelusopuli Your Friendly Neighborhood Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    @sunbather Meshuggah! Meshuggah! :D I guess you are a fan? In the beginning when the main meat comes to the butcher's party I sensed some timing issues that didn't sound that good so I recommend looking into that. It was good that you had the variety in loudness, it made the music sound more interesting. I had trouble hearing the lead guitar. it disappeared into the mix. I also missed the bass. The overall sound was very thin and powerless because of that. I did the listening with my high-end hi-fi Bose headphones, they have a slight accent in the lows. I guess you used a drum machine? I suggest that if possible, print the snare, kick and tom group on separate tracks from the cymbals. Apply velocity variation and had tune natural emphasized strikes on the first of a bar or on each beat. Gives a slightly more natural and human touch to it ;)

@NTakamura You have nice over arching emotion conflict through out the piece :) Like Kaimen mentioned about using more pizzicato, I'd like to add legato, crescendo and diminuendo. Dynamically the piece was rather flat all the way through and as a movement it lacked a real climax because of that. With that I want to double Kaimen one more time: "The mixture of sadness and happiness are well captured. All in all, it conveyed the feeling you wanted to portray quite well." Some more work on it and you will have a great piece in your portfolio! Strings, maybe more than any other instrument, is a living breathing entity with many voices. It can do miraculous things! Adagio for Strings from Barber is a wonderful example. I especially like the one conducted by Leonard Bernstein.

@Kaimen Your piece so takes me to the early Castlevanias. Such good work! That is all I can say on this one :D

NTakamura likes this.
  6. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Kaimen

It is nice that I portray what I was intending. I can admit there could of been more articulation of the strings in the piece.  

@taistelusopuli

It ironic that you mention Adagio for Strings from Barber because that is what the first movement of my song was inspired by. The dynamic do seem a little flat after you mention it. In your opinion, where do you think would be a good place for more dynamics? 

7. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @sunbather: You're definitely capturing the right feel for that style of music, and double bass and blast beat sections aren't inappropriate, but personally I think that kind of thing works better in smaller doses to provide more rhythmic contrast, especially for an instrumental.  I'd also put the guitars a bit higher in the mix.  Cool stuff, though.

@kaimen: That's a good track for what it is.  It's got a little bit of comic spookiness that will fit well in the right context.

Here's another battle track for Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass.  This one plays whenever you fight robotic enemies:

Archduke and Geoff Moore like this.
  8. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    @Housekeeping I love the hook you made for Toaster with Teeth! It is groovy and tasty. The bassline is wicked. It carries the spirit of the hook through the calm sections in between nicely. How long have you been making music?

9. Housekeeping

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the compliments!  I've been playing guitar for about thirteen years now, and technically I started writing music about a year into it, but I didn't start composing video game music regularly until about four/five years ago.

10. UNphiltered_khaos

UNphiltered_khaos Game Dev. Artist. Veteran

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  11. Clydous

Clydous Slowly moseying my way back... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Kaimen: As Housekeeping mentioned, this comes off as a comical spooky track. I'm not sure if the chiptune adds to that, but the motif you have here is working well in your favor. The tempo is perfect for this. Good job.

@Housekeeping: This is a track I can really groove to. Sounds like the beginning of something intense. I love how you dropped the beat at 0:16 and reintroduced it back at 0:24. That time-frame reminds me of (and is perfect for) when I, as a player, am choosing my next move against a challenging boss. The song as a whole is great. Keep it up!

@soɐɥʞpǝɹǝʇlıɥd: Your first track presents in an interesting beat and aggressive/confrontational mood behind it--I like that.

Your second track's tempo changes are got me excited that something grand was on its way, but alas...it was only a minute and 3 seconds! D:

I'm not sure what to make of the third track, seeing as how it was supposed to be a cover but never finished due to computer problems. It's very repetitive, but I'm not sure how the original song sounded. I'm not saying it sounds bad. I'm just not sure what to make of it haha

I like the sound of the 4th track. It reminds me of something I can't quite put my finger on, somewhat like a game I used to play but have not seen or heard of in a long time.

Housekeeping and Kaimen like this.
  12. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    Figured as much :) Was wondering since the counterpoint dance the various layers were doing was very good and polished.

@soɐɥʞpǝɹǝʇlıɥd The first track you posted has a cool industrial vibe to it. The second is something similar to it but in it's unfinished state it leaves me a bit cold. The tempo trick feels fun but without larger context it sounds somewhat misplaced. I am sure if the piece was complete, I'd feel something else :)

The third piece, Contorted Angel, I honestly don't know what to think about it. I feel it could have it's place in a sci-fi game but then again.. Wish I could put my finger on it. Being a cover of course that can't really be done without copyright clearing. I just wish it'd be complete but computers are computers.

Fourth, Autumn's Ataraxis has a cool vibe to it. Like all of the previous ones, it feels very repetitive and flat in regards to dynamics. The strings synth that you have used there would've needed some opening with EQ. It feels very dampened and constrained.

All in all you have very good ideas can concepts. I hope you get a decent computer so you can continue working on these! They have potential!

Here is a theme I wrote for a visual novel about a year ago. For what I know, the production stopped and the title was later cancelled. Music is still emotionally one of my absolute favorites from that period. Mix engineer in me would rework it but I have since moved to a different DAW.

13. Housekeeping

First Language:
    English
    @taistelusopuli: I think some of those synths could benefit from different timbres, particularly the lead around :25, but that's probably your old DAW more than anything.  The composition itself is great, though, especially when the drums and bass kick in.  It's definitely fitting for a visual novel--actually, considering that genre's history of music, that synth's timbre is appropriate, and the song gets elevated a bit towards the end.

14. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @taistelusopuli

I really enjoyed the the climax at the 1:12 mark. It raises the tension, but not too much. It really helps protray the emotional path of "New Friend".

I wanted to pair up two instruments that, in my opinion hardly ever get pair up in a duet.

15. ___

___ Villager Member

_

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016
  16. DustyZiroto

DustyZiroto The one guy who never left XP Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I composed this in Midimaker. What do you guys think? 

17. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    This will be a long post :D

I totally agree. In retro perspective I would've made the nylon acoustic simulation softer and drawn it a bit more back into the mix. Thank you for the compliments! I wanted it to sound modern, soft and mellow. I felt that I did pretty good when I made this :)

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it, it really was one of my "glory moments" back then :D

Then let's see the newly submitted track ;)

@NTakamura Organ and harp can actually be used together even though it is not seen that often. You gave glimpses to it here and there in your composition. That being very good, Violent Glass Heart suffers of some role issues. Throughout the piece it is very unclear which leads, the organ or the harp. That results in a rather chaotic overall image. Both instruments have their moments. Intro is great actually for both until about 0:10. Organ has a great moment around 0:30. Harp had some moments around 1:00 to 1:10. A bit before 1:40 both two start with something really cool that is repeated somewhere around/after 1:50.

To make the piece better, I suggest deciding clearly who leads where. The two instruments being very different in timbre, it is a delicate play. The rakes you have here and there are not good ideas in this context. These in mind, also make your melodies/progressions clearer. They will help the listener to attach or connect with the piece. :)

@Tom McGlone You had a very good variety of standard emotions and atmospheres in your reel. Some harmonies here and there that could be more polished or a bit redesigned but nothing horrendious :) Good job with all them musics!

@DustyZiroto Such a nice intro! There was intrigue and suspense ;) some tuning with the descent is and it would be perfetto! The rest of the piece was good and true to the established emotion. [insert a thumb here!]

18. FroggyGames

FroggyGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This is a song that is good for battle music.

Song: 

19. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    After listening to it a few time there are some role issue as you stated. I think the problem was the harp was playing too fast which in turn took over the medley at certain parts. So I slowed the harp down. I think now that I applied those changes it sounds better. If you want you can take another listen. I don't know how much of a difference I made to the overall medley but I believe it is better now. Thanks for the critique. 

20. ___

___ Villager Member

_

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016