Post Your Music

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. taistelusopuli

taistelusopuli Your Friendly Neighborhood Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Well thank you so much! Glad you liked my work there. I've had so much fun creating the music for their Out of the Storm. Dakota is a great boss to work with too :) Regarding mixing/mastering, if you ever feel you need someone else do it for you to get extra perspective to your music, I'd be glad to do it ;)

2. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Battle of the Hearts is an Piano and Violin Duet. I was insprired to write this piece after watching an anime called "You lie in April" or " Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso". The dynamic between the two character were so fun and interesting to watch I thought I would make a song with the two instrument the two played, which was the piano and violin.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2016
  3. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @NTakamura: Battle of the Hearts is a lovely song.  Great use of dynamics with the violin; that's something I always tell myself I need to do, but I'm so stuck on pop stuff that my dynamics tend to be focused more on all the instrumentation rather than a single melodic line like that.

@DustyZiroto: It's suitably dark and a little mysterious; the only thing that stands out to me as needing work is the sustained notes that persist through most of the song.  I think that might be a midi tuba--it's kind of hard to tell.  If you want to keep those as single notes, that's fine, but you might consider having each of those sustained notes fade out after a moment.  This will make the instrumentation feel a bit more natural, I think.

@Tom and Justice: For some reason, I can't see your music files!  Maybe it's because I have Adblock on?

RMN had a release-something event, and I released this since I composed it fairly recently:

4. ___

___ Villager Member

_

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016
  5. taistelusopuli

taistelusopuli Your Friendly Neighborhood Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    @NTakamura A cool duet you have written :) Mix wise it is a bit dry, some more room/reverb would be nice. Also now that I have heard a few of your compositions here, I strongly encourage you to study counterpoint. You have a very contrapunctal way of writing music so you should look into it. You should look into following manuals:

1. Alan Belkin - Principles of Counterpoint
    2. The Complete Guide to Counterpoint in Forty Lessons
    3. The Study of Counterpoint from Johann Joseph Fux's Gradus ad Parnassum, Translated and edited by Alfred Mann

I am studying those now and I am sure they will benefit you greatly!

@Housekeeping Again an other great presentation ;) There is something that takes me back to Spyro, Croc and the likes during the PSX era... I don't remember asking what do you use to write music?

6. Atlas Rose

Atlas Rose Jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Heyo! New at composing, but figure I might as well throw my stuff in here as well.

7. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Atlas Rose

Right.

Worm Knowledge: Very repetitive. Needs more variety.

When Hearts are Shattered:  Pretty basic. Bassline, repetitive melody on top. Not bad.

Realization: The oboe sample is nice. It's a bit too loud at the crescendos, though. Perhaps if you made the strings a little lower and the overall melody just a bit lower, this would help your mix.

Angel Falls:   The melody is all over the place and it really doesn't do anything for me.
    I can't tell what the melody even is, to be honest.  Although, there's nothing wrong with pieces like that sometimes, but even so... it's just very chaotic and bounces around too much...

I also noticed you've got really bad compression in the mix. (I've had the same exact issues not to long ago myself!)
    Anyway, not bad for a beginner. Keep it up, keep going, and never stop!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time for some new stuff. It's been a while, hey?

And now for a refurbished piece, one of my all-time personal faves.

8. Atlas Rose

First Language:
    English
    @Saltwater Croc

Thanks for the advice! What do you mean by bad compression?

9. Saltwater Croc

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    ll the instruments sound the same volume... is how my own mentors described it. :) compressed audio that you can hear everything evenly... Great sometimes, but not all the time.

10. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @taistelusopuli: Thanks!  I use a slightly outdated version of Reason (I think it's Reason 6).

@Atlas Rose: Like I saw Miss Littlefish say in that other thread, your music tends to need more contrast and has a tendency to wander a bit.  In some cases, that can work towards your advantage; Worm Knowledge would be great for a peaceful snowy area.  The neutral, unchanging quality of the progression fits with the neutral quality of an endless expanse of snow (especially with the instrumentation).  I think, though, that since all of the tracks wander, that might be more of a crutch than an intentional technique.  I don't think the mixing sounds bad, but, yeah, you could play with dynamics more (I could, too).

@Saltwater Croc: Your Dragonfly Night tracks are pretty lush; I'm guessing that game is going to contain lots of enchanted forests.  They do sound a little similar, but that probably makes sense in the setting.  Really beautiful work; I especially like the vibraphone in the first track.

Saltwater Croc and Atlas Rose like this.
  11. Saltwater Croc

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Housekeeping Thanks much!  Both those tracks are to a forest theme. In my projects or when I do music for other projects, I like to keep certain instruments to different areas or characters, if that makes sense. :)

12. mmr

mmr Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Hey!

Heres some sci-fi sounds

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2016
  13. Atlas Rose

First Language:
    English
    @mmr

It kind of reminds me of the old Metroid games. It may just be me though, but you've got your low rumbled panned all the way to the right, which is extremely bothersome for headphone users (or at least to me anyways). Also, about 1:11 you get your beat going and establish a pulse, but I'd recommend trying to do that a bit sooner. Otherwise, I really like it.

14. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just to clarify things for @Atlas Rose , the instruments all sounding like they're the same volume isn't a result of compression in this case.  It's simply because you haven't varied the dynamics enough.  You can do this by using a combination of your velocity controls and your expression controls.  The latter of which is usually set under midi cc 11 in the automation/midi controller section, assuming your samples support them of course :)    

I do agree with the others about your tracks wandering a bit too much, so I'd suggest working on that.  I'd also suggest fixing the bass synth like sound on "When Hearts Are Shattered"  it's very intrusive at the moment.

@Saltwater CrocSo that you know for the future, usually when compression causes a problem with the tracks overall volume, it will have some other side effects such as: a pumping like sound as the volumes of quiet parts are boosted, distortion and a lack of dynamic energy.  That's why it's super important to be sparing with it unless it's electronic music, in which case you might actually want some of those side effects in small doses.

15. Saltwater Croc

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Scythuz Ah, I see! So I was way off, it seems.  Thank you very much for the correction. :D

@Atlas, I apologize for the mislead!

Scythuz likes this.
  16. Atlas Rose

First Language:
    English
    @Saltwater Croc Don't worry about it. You did have a good point. For the most part, everything did have the same volume.

Scythuz likes this.
  17. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the advice. I am always looking for new ways to improve my music and this will help. I will get these book and have a read.

18. Dimitris

Dimitris Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hello guys, happy new year, long time no see :D

@Atlas Rose I like your style, very vgm jrpg inspired, I mostly enjoyed your playful tracks Angel Falls and Worm Knowledge. Keep it up!

@Saltwater Croc The Dragonfly Night are very nice dreamy tracks, love the harps. Wing over reminds me of central America music, very cool, I like that.

@mmr For a psychological horror game the track is perfect. You're more into soundscapes I feel, the tracks are not easily to digest as single entities but in a game or a movie they would work great.

@Tom McGlone Your tracks are beautiful, very atmospheric and epic. I really like Tilting at Windmills. A small suggestion, take "preview" out, I get that you might be afraid of someone stealing it but it messes with the whole experience. Other than that, keep it up.

@NTakamura Very interesting piece, love the sound of both the instruments, nice battle between the two, it shows struggle between the instruments.

@Housekeeping Yeah, I've told you before, I love your basslines. The only thing I would mind on Oh So Cool Castle, is to have your trumpets a little bit lower in volume in your mix, so I can cleary hear every other instrument. Other than that, super.

And here are a few of my newest tracks :

Inspired by 16bit Jrpg's, this is a collab with a good friend, we tried to blend vgm and synthwave into a track. Appears on the Chipwars compilation.

This is the first track I wrote for my new album. The genre is Dreamwave, Synthwave, 80s inspired electronica.

And this is one of my Future Funk tracks ;)

Saltwater Croc likes this.
  19. FroggyGames

FroggyGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Here's a good song for a forest

Code:
    <iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/244329173&color=00cc11&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false"></iframe>

20. Saltwater Croc

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Justice_Rulez It sounds a bit basic... a bit too basic, in my opinion. There's no real melody and the sudden pickup after that drop-off at around 1:35 is very startling; it almost doesn't fit.
    It also sounds like you're a pian player if I'm not mistaken...?  Anyway, keep it up! Practice some more and you'll get better and better at music composition. :D

FroggyGames likes this.