Post Your Music

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ode_Imagination

Ode_Imagination Warper Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    @Atlas Rose Worm Knowledge: This reminded me of Macalania woods from FFX. I think this might fit well in a similar environment. The mood I get from this song is really mellow. No danger, or rush. I can imagine this playing in a frozen waterfall where the player meets a forest spirit who is friendly and lonely :D.

When Hearts Are Shattered: Sounds like the kind of music that plays when the player is heading straight towards a big fight and this is the moment before the fight. Everything is in ruins and the player must organize his/her party to be able to withstand the coming enemies. Since I already used FFX as an example, let's roll with it, because there is a song that serves this exact purpose in that game and it is called Time of Judgement. It starts with, what sounds to me, dissonant high strings and a marching drum. Very cool. Anyway, I think your song has potential and it definitely fits a scene in my mind but I'm afraid it's just not very pleasant to listen to. Maybe it's the saw sound or how every instrument seems to compete with each other to play the lead part. Maybe choose one "main voice" for the song and then use the rest of the instruments to really make it work? Then again who am I to give advice, I have no training in this stuff :D

Realization: Gloomy and dark. I didn't think of a clear scene in my mind for this one but I could see a variety of uses for it. What did you think of when you made it? I think it is quite good. I wish it had some kind of a strong hook that I could remember later on.

@Saltwater Croc The Forest For The Trees: This is clearly an elven village where the the elves think of the player's characters as a lower species and behave in cold manner to them. There is this serene, beautiful quality to it but also coldness. Where did you get these sounds from?

Night Time Flutter: Oooh, a sequel to the previous song. Maybe now the characters have found the healing pond they were looking for and are by themselves without the snobby elves. I'm making this up as I go, but these are seriously the images I get from this music. Good song :)

Win(g) Over: I really, really like the sounds here! It brings a clear scene to my head where the player is in a hot and busy mechanical bazaar city and has just discovered a propeller-driven flying machine. Now the player is flying and exploring the city from a new perspective. Kind of reminds me of Dragon Roost Island from Wind Waker.

@mmr The Gateway: Really interesting. I don't listen to this kind of music at all so it is very hard for me to compare it to anything. I think it would be a good fit for a first-person puzzle solving game with some horror elements.

@Dimitris Baotou: I can see this in a really visually elaborate puzzle game. Something where the camera is constantly in slight motion towards some point because the song has such a nice flow. I really liked it when the song kicked off :). So cool.

So many good composers here and so many wonderful ideas. I don't know if I dare to post any of my own music but what the heck. If you have comments on it, please fire away and let me improve as a composer. Anyway, here is one very much video game inspired song:

Dimitris and Saltwater Croc like this.
  2. UNphiltered_khaos

UNphiltered_khaos Game Dev. Artist. Veteran

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

Thanks for your input! I have felt the same way. My big problem is I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to sound engineering. Have you any suggestions or good tutorials? I discovered compressors, and that made things sound bigger, but I am still a noob. :p

3. Atlas Rose

Atlas Rose Jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Ode_Imagination Realization is actually a funny story. A friend of mine and I both have original characters (Mine is Triton and theirs is Layton, if you get the reference) who live within the same universe and share a very close father-son relationship, as their character informally adopted mine. We were using a random scenario generator I made and Triton was in a cave when he found Layton's glasses on the ground, and we went off of that wondering what could have happened to Layton, and how Triton must have felt when coming to whatever conclusion he did, which was probably really bad considering where he was. 

4. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Ode_Imagination Thank you for the kind words.
    Beliee it or not, The FOrest for the Trees and Night Time Flutter both are serene levels of a forest in a combo platformer/exploration game where there are humans few and far between. You play as a lowly dragonfly spirit.

Wing Over is indeed inspired by Dragonroost. It's the theme to a mountaintop village and a seaside ranch/farm. :D

Interesting what the imagination paints for us when we hear things, eh?   Onto what I use to compose: I use FL Studio for all my music.

Now, onto your stuff:  You seem to use the same basic rhythm and chords and build a melody on that, as many young composers do. Hey, it's something I've noticed.  I can see this for a platformer game for either a factory level or a castle. (Think Super Mario platformer games)

5. EpicMelanie

EpicMelanie Warper Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Hi, i made a short piano music in my free time.

it's 1 minute : / 

6. marcelofernandezmusic

marcelofernandezmusic Music composer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Hi there, this is my music, hope you enjoy it :)

7. Kaimen

Kaimen Noisemaker Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oi there! Some advice for the next time you post here first: you should pick one or two songs, maybe three but that's already too much in my opinion, for people to listen to here so you can get some detailed feedback on your work. Nobody's gonna take the time and thoroughly listen to almost 40 songs and give in-depth feedback on it. And because of that I'm only gonna give you my rough opinion here.

Your 8 bit songs are pretty solid but get to repetitive too quickly. From what I heard the thing that makes a proper 8 bit tune work is kinda missing with a few of them - an intuitive melody. I listen to your 8 bit songs and don't have anything to whistle. They're pretty good, but not memorable. And 8 bit music should be memorable. There are a few exceptions to this though - "By the Sea" for example. I haven't really listened to the rest of your songs but from what I've heard from skipping through they seem to fit western RPGs or action adventures more than classic JRPGs. I might be wrong here though. Again, maybe pick two of your songs to have us review in-depth. ^_^

---------------------

'kay-o! It's been some time since I last posted here and I only have one song for you guys to listen to. I've made this one in about five or six hours and I'm planning on making this the main theme for the game I have in the works. To be honest, there's not really much of a game, only an idea - a concept. But nevertheless I decided that this should be the main theme 'cause I like it so much. XD

8. marcelofernandezmusic

First Language:
    Spanish
    @Kaimen

Thanks for the advice, you're right, I'll post a few tracks only next time :).

And thanks for the review on the 8bit track, I didn't compose them thinking in a particular game style, just let the music flow. I'll keep in mind about the repetitive issue, I'll try that my next tracks have more changes to avoid this.

9. Bakuda

Bakuda The Music Man Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Nice track Kaimen.  It gives me the sense that something is coming up, a struggle I'm not quite prepared for but must face nonetheless.  I like it.

I've been meaning to post a track here but keep forgetting, so...here we go!  I wrote this battle theme for a game last month, but due to a change in game direction I ended up shelving it and doing another track.  It's sad, because I love how this track turned out, but you've gotta do what's best for the game.  Anyway, hope you enjoy it and do tell me what you think. =)

10. Andrii Mardanov

Andrii Mardanov Warper Member

First Language:
    Russian
    Hi there, 
    this is one of many compositions which I've done during last few months,
    thoughts?

View attachment 31355

11. Tianlong

Tianlong Villager Member

First Language:
    French/English
    Hey everyone,

First post here. My name's Matthieu and I am an aspiring video game composer like a lot of people in this thread, I guess. I have been looking for a composers forum for ages and since I have been composing for some RpgMaker projects in the past, I decided to come and look for a composer community here.

I don't know about you guys, but I sometimes find that it is difficult to put myself in the mood of creating music when I don't have a serious reason to do so (paid project or not). It is even more so an arduous undertaking knowing no one except my close relatives or friends will get to hear those compositions of mine. It is not like having real composers give their honest and constructive opinions on those compositions. It is redundant because you know your family will never be as objective about your work as a complete stranger would.

So anyway, to make a long story short, why don't we start a 'game' we can all partake in, that will force us to compose something  more regularly, knowing will have comments, at the end, that will help us improve our skills. The 'game' would be done on a weekly basis. Each week, someone would give a subject, genre, photograph, image (anything really), which would be the inspiration for the song each member would have to compose for the end of the week. At the end of the week, we decide all together of a winner and this winner gets to choose the next week's subject.

Hope this was clear enough. Maybe this was suggested or done before as I have not read all this thread before posting. Sorry if it has.

I would really like to invest effort and time in a community of like-minded people. I think it could be really fun !

So what do you say guys ?

Ps. Here's a sample of my work since I see this as kind of presenting myself to you. ;)

https://soundcloud.com/matthieu-tessier/reinas-theme

edit : Maybe I'll post this in a new thread so more people will see it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2016
  12. Dimitris

Dimitris Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Tianlong I like your idea mate and I think it might push people to be creative. As far as comments, my advice is to find groups on social media (like this one we've got here) and start connect with people. Get yourself out there and put your music out there without fear of criticism. When you find your audience you will be pushed by them (in a good way) to create, because you'll now someone out there is listening. I write all of these out of my own experience.

Btw your tracks are beautiful, I love the arrangements, use of instruments and production. It's a shame the last one was 4 years ago, I'd love to listen something more recent.

13. Tianlong

Tianlong Villager Member

First Language:
    French/English
    @Dimitris Thanks a lot for listening and for your comments ! I've uploaded some more recent just now for your listening pleasure. Normally these songs would loop but I forgot to do the fade out at the end.

I've listened to some your songs too. Night time reminds me of Top gear 3000 for the Super Nintendo. Don't know why really. I really like the vibe and the thick bass though I wish it was a little bit louder in the mix. At the mountain of madness is probably my favorite right now. It's chilling ! I'll listen to some more later for sure.

By the way, would you be willing to participate Dimitris ? I'll wait and see if people are up to the challenge. Maybe at least 5 people before we can consider starting this.

One last thing, is there any way to reduce the size of those soundcloud's song players ? They are huge !

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2016
    LeeOccleshaw likes this.
  14. marcelofernandezmusic

First Language:
    Spanish
    @Tianlong Same happens to me, it's so much more inspiring and motivating to compose for a project than just for the sake of it.

Maybe a good idea would be to create a game where each level or area is composed by someone different, so you can have 10 levels/areas and 10 composers for the game, we just need a gamedev that likes the idea :)

15. Tianlong

Tianlong Villager Member

First Language:
    French/English
    I like the idea but before we get a developer that likes the idea and start that particular project, we need something else to chew on, for the time being.

16.  Nova

Nova Veteran Veteran

This is my first composition. It's an RPG town theme. I've been learning how to use FL Studio, and it's working pretty well. This track is heavily inspired by the works of Junichi Masuda. 

What do you think? :)

JCBrickston likes this.
  17. izyees

izyees My Secret Santa Veteran

First Language:
    english
    I love this  :rock-left:

18. Dimitris

Dimitris Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Tianlong I can take part in this after February, now I don't have time, I'm into many projects. But then I'll definitely join. 

Btw I'm uploading my most recent music on SoundCloud, check it from there, I've followed you and reposted a track of yours ;)

@marcelofernandezmusic Good idea, we can make the game while making the music, that way we can keep busy creatively. I also checked your music, pretty cool!

Tianlong likes this.
  19. Tianlong

Tianlong Villager Member

First Language:
    French/English
    @Dimitris That's good with me. Anyways we have to see if more people will be willing to try something new and it will give me a little bit of time to treat my room's acoustic. I've been wanting to do that for ages.

Thanks for the follow up by the way. I just listened to stage 1 Time warp and I absolutely love it. Let me know when your EP is out cause I'll support you for sure !!

Dimitris likes this.
  20. Archduke

Archduke Jack of all Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Tianlong

Groups like this are great for getting that sort of feedback! I'm in a slack group called the Composer's Circle that's got about 50 people in it so far and since it's a live group, you can get much more spontaneous discussion!

In other news, musics from a while ago~

Tianlong likes this.