Post Your Music

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. taistelusopuli

taistelusopuli Your Friendly Neighborhood Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    @Saltwater Croc Beautiful piece! Great work with both arrangement and orchestration :)  Once the oriental section started, it felt at first a bit off and separate from the rest of the piece but to my pleasant surprice it bridged nicely back to the intro.

Here is something I wrote for a math practice game. Hope you don't have traumas of Sims music :D

Gaiaman77 likes this.
  2. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @taistelusopuli It does have the sims sound to it slightly. But who to say that is a bad thing. The song really suggests that the game is very upbeat. The strings, in my opinion kind of suggests tapping your finger on a desk trying to find an answer. Overall it was a fun piece to listen to.  

I haven't posted here in queit a while. It because all my songs as of late are all for a game I am working on. But I manage to make this in between songs. Since a lot of my song, that I consider good are usually sad or dark. So I wanted to make a song that was very upbeat in it sound. 

Gaiaman77 likes this.
  3. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    @NTakamura that waltz was definitely my favorite piece from you that I have heard! The flow was great!

Here is something little that I made the other night:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2016
    Gaiaman77 and Archduke like this.
  4. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks. @taistelusopuli I have applied counterpoint so much, it has almost become natural when writing music now. Also I am now applying more variety of chord like maj 6th, 9th sus 4th and so on. I just never really put much thought into chords before. But I did some reasearch and found out how these different type of chords can sometime help convey certain moods. 

taistelusopuli likes this.
  5. HeroofTime123

HeroofTime123 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @NTakamura I really like that waltz. It kinda reminds me of music from Epic Mickey. I really like the upbeat and light-heartedness to it.

@taistelusopuli The forest theme is very nice. It's really peaceful and relaxing.

Here's a song I recently did that isn't necessarily for a game, but the style of it is based off of the music from Child of Light. This song was in the works for a while because I really wanted to get it as close to perfect as I could.

Archduke likes this.
  6. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    @HeroofTime123 What a beautiful piece! Something that I suggest experimenting with in the future is varying velocity. The guitar was very stagnant. Also I suggest trying a bit more variation to make the piece more lucrative. It doesn't need to be much but something little that surprises the listener from time to time and thus refreshes the interest ;)

7. Kaimen

Kaimen Noisemaker Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I guess I'm gonna post something in here again. It's been quite some time. 

So... first you, @HeroofTime123 I liked the overall style and mood of your piece. Especially the stings gave me goosebumps. The piano was a little too... uh... hard, I guess, for my taste. I would've preferred a more softer, maybe dampened sound there. Otherwise it's great though. Can't say much more about it other than: good work! :)

----

So... guess it's time for some of my stuff again. It's a retro tune I just finished today and I think it's my best retro tune so far. I don't know what it's supposed to be used for though because I didn't have any intentions composing this one. It just... happened. Like it often does when I compose. I mean, I guess it could be a dungeon theme or a villain theme. But it could also very well be a song for an action/adventure game or a side scroller. What does it sound like to you guys? I'm curious. XD 

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
    Ms Littlefish likes this.
  8. NTakamura

NTakamura Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @HeroofTime123 I really love the piece. It does in fact remind me of Child of light for sure. Like what @taistelusopuli the piano medley was great sounding but it just playing the same medley over without changing. Also varied dynamics would really help bring more life to the piece in my opinion. Other then that great work and I hope to hear more from you. :D

@Kaimen You always make interesting sounding sounds. Usually I am on the fence when it come to retro music but you seem to get it right. I also like the contrasting bass and higher pitch syth. I does sound evil slightly. It also has a upbeat/fun going sound to it as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
    Kaimen likes this.
  9. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    Nice one @Kaimen! Getting better with evry tune. This one seemed curious to me. Liked it.

So I was supposed to go to bed early today. Kind of promised that to my dear wife... But sometimes inspiration just hits and the flow won't end. And this is the unexpected result of when I was supposed to write something else. Did it tonight on one sitting :D  There is some mixing hiccups, balance is a bit off here and there but it is very very good. Hope you guys like it! ;)

Kaimen likes this.
  10. FroggyGames

FroggyGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This could be great for a boss fight or something... whatever

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/257894018&amp;color=00cc11&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&am

Personigo de la Ĉefo likes this.
  11. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Justice_Rulez I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you're a beginner. (Your piece sounds a bit juvenile :D )

Not bad, though! Though IMO not exactly boss fight material... unless someone's entire project were abstract themed, that is...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2016
  12. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Saltwater Croc - I dunno if I agree with you there, I can definitely hear it as a boss theme, maybe a robot boss in a quirky platformer like Crash Bandicoot and/or Croc 2.  It doesn't sound so much like an rpg boss theme though, but, it all depends on how the game presents itself.

@Justice_Rulez - The music sounds good, I like the synths and the cool mallet instrument you have going there.  My only complaint is that it gets a tad repetitive, so I'd suggest varying the rhythm of the drums.  I read earlier in the thread that you're mainly used to EDM?  EDM does often use repetitive beats, so that's something you'll want to try and avoid doing too much of in game music  :)

13. FroggyGames

FroggyGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks! I was being lazy with the song. So thats why it might sound a bit repetitive. :D ;)  

Scythuz likes this.
  14. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Justice_Rulez - It's time to stomp all the laziness out then my friend! ;)   

15. riveramusique

riveramusique Rene Rivera Music Member

First Language:
    English
  16. taistelusopuli

First Language:
    Finnish
    @riveramusique Not much to really comment there since it was only a couple of excerpts. The little that we got to hear in that sounded pretty good ;)  if you want more exact feedback or commentary, you should post a specific track =)

Archduke likes this.
  17. Personigo de la Ĉefo

Personigo de la Ĉefo Resource Staff Restaff

First Language:
    Russian
    H-hey there, folks! I was told that this is a good place to get feedback for music? 

In my dire need to have custom music in my projects and lack of funds to hire musicians, I decided to try this music making stuff myself. Now please hold in mind that I have zero music education. i don't even know the notes! And since i skipped music schooln as a kid, it's almost impossible to learn it as an adult in my place without knowing the basics, so I had to learn from scratch, but, more importantly, I have no basis to evaluate myself on. So please, could you tell me if I have a future in this? Cricicise as much as you want, I want to learn the truth.

Here is a track I made

Again, I have no idea if I'm horrible at it or not, so I ask kind people here to help me find out :D

View attachment Gentle Winds.mp3

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2016
  18. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Personigo de la Ĉefo

It's not bad for a practice piece.  However, for me, it's very overly busy and I couldn't really feel any kind of melody form from this. This seemed more like a playful romp rather than a gentle wind, but that's just my personal opinion talking there.

I'd recommend taking a course or two on music theory so you'd get a better understanding on how to grasp concepts of music and envision what you want to do with it. You don't NEED to know music theory to be a good composer, but more often than not it will help you and arm you with skills and tools to better breathe and live music.

Yes, it's true that some pretty gifted composers don't read music, but even they understand basic music theory and terms (like, rubato, tempo, crescendo, and my personal favorite: arpeggio) and how music itself works. 

Keep practicing!

HOWEVER. As a composer and musician who had learned his instrument BY EAR, I can assure you that it's much easier to be able to read music than to not...

------------------------

Alright people; it's been a while since I last shared.  This is a commission for a client. I'm not at liberty to say much, but they wanted a piano solo in 3/4 time for a main protagonist.  So here it is!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2016
    Personigo de la Ĉefo likes this.
  19. Personigo de la Ĉefo

Personigo de la Ĉefo Resource Staff Restaff

First Language:
    Russian
    Eh, if only it was that easy :D  In my place, it's easy for children to learn music, but really hard for adults due to popular misconceptions that all adults work all day and don't have time for that, so there is no music schools for adults, and personal repetitors are few and far between :( , not to mention that expensive part.

Thanks for the feedback tho :)  If only I had a way to learn the basics... Maybe I should try reading some books or online courses or something

20. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Saltwater Croc likes this.