Post Your Music

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Tirian

Tirian Aspiring Composer Veteran

First Language:
    English/French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Overall a pretty good track, that I would definitely use for a game.

Here's my only (nitpicky) criticism:

• The solo violin that repeats the main melody is too dry, especially at the end when it's alone;
    • There is too much attack on the solo violin, resulting in its melody (which is the song's main theme) to be less memorable;
    • Make the glockenspiel/xylophone/bell/whatever louder (it should be the main focus in my opinion, considering the title of the song), but be careful not to make it sound ear piercing;
    • I would try adding variation to the chord progression (a short one, just to add a bit of flavor to the song).

That's about it. I really enjoyed it, keep it up! :)

Saltwater Croc likes this.
  2. Sardonic

Sardonic Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Haha thanks!

That was very helpful!  I'll take your advice and do some work on it later, also glad that you like it for the most part.  Thanks for the input!

Tirian likes this.
  3. FroggyGames

FroggyGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Tirian likes this.
  4. Tirian

First Language:
    English/French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

Okay, so: I have mixed feelings about this track.

I assume this is the song you hear in your game when you walk inside a scientific lab, and you got the feel right. Without really paying attention to the title I knew you were going for an intriguing sci-fi theme, so that's good.

However, the track is overall very, VERY repetitive, to the point that it's annoying. Which is a bad thing for vgm :p .

Concerning the first sound we hear, that wonky synth thing: I don't know if you made that or if it's a sample or whatever, but it's pretty cool. I would, however, add some sort of variation, if not to the melody itself, to the pitch, and eventually make a chord progression.

The drums are obviously very unnatural, so if that's an artistic choice, stick to it but personnaly I would go for a bit more realistic drums (at least add reverb and some variation to the beat).

Speaking of reverb, the other instruments need some (first synth is ok, but that square thing at 0:17 and the drums need it). Not too much, but enough to feel like the music is in the background, and not in your head.

Still, I like the ideas you had for this track, so work on it a bit more and it'll sound great! :D

Luiishu535 and HexMozart88 like this.
  5. Luiishu535

Luiishu535 Coffee Machine Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    First time scoring a game (yay). This one's a solo piano piece that plays in a cold and lonely park area.

Here's an image for reference:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2016
    Tirian likes this.
  6. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That is... not bad at all. With that said, here is my critique:

A bit more going on in the background. Maybe some soft strings or something to tie it together. 

Later on in the piece, around 1:00 in, the two components don't seem to match all that well. 

You may want to fix up those chords slightly. They seem either like they're out of key or they're too close together. If I'm not mistaken, your song is in F? So, perhaps, make your chords a bit more distant from each other. Adds more contrast and a bit more... depth. I'm sorry if my critique is horrible. I've never critiqued a composition before, and I'm no pro at teaching either. 

Your song is actually not bad, though. I like the synth. 

Luiishu535 and Tirian like this.
  7. Tirian

First Language:
    English/French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

You definitely got the feel right, the picture fits perfectly with the song.

The rythm is interesting, even though I can't really pin point the time signature. Either you deliberately made changes in time signature to make the song irregular, or I missed the time signature. Either way, it works well!

I think a way to fix that would be, instead of distancing the melody and accompaniement in pitch, to play the melody with another instrument. A piano with some reverb usually works for cold areas, especially in the higher keys.

Other than that I really like it, good job!

Luiishu535 likes this.
  8. chungsie

chungsie Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I completed my Partita of the Inuit :)

I think next I will work on some Aztec music.

Tirian likes this.
  9. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @HexMozart88

I tried to add some more instruments, but I didn't like the effect it gave the song. I want the park area to feel different from the other areas and that includes the instrumentation. The piano is also accompanied by a howling wind, which adds to the atmosphere IMO. I may experiment a bit with the piece and if I come up with something I like, I'll make sure to post it here again. The closed chords/voicings are meant to add to the element of being trapped, which the player in fact is.

Yup, the song is in Dm (as are all of the other notes in the composition, heck even the entire soundtrack is in Dm). I'm not too sure about what you mean by components not matching at 01:00, so I decided to upload the sheet music here (01:00 begins at measure 21):

[​IMG][​IMG]

@TirianYeah, I do like to use some odd time signatures in my compositions (you can check the sheet music I just posted above for an example). For this piece, I mainly changed the signatures around a bit to give the piece a more rubato feel.

Hmm, I may add a flute that plays the melody instead. I'm using some pretty limited SNES soundfonts for the game I'm composing for and most instruments are either out of tune with each other, or simply don't fit the mood.

Thank you very much, both of you, for your feedback. As a very green composer, I definitely appreciate it and I'll definitely post here more often!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2016
    Tirian likes this.
  10. HexMozart88

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sweet, I'm getting better at this. XD

Yeah, so at about 1:05, it seems out of place for a brief moment, possibly because of the long pauses in the background. From what I gather, this is supposed to be the most intense part of the song, and in my opinion, intense parts, mainly ones like that where it speeds up need to have a bit more going on as far as the background. I'm glad you found my critique helpful.    

Tirian likes this.
  11. Tirian

First Language:
    English/French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

This track is very dry, I would put some reverb to add some presence to the track.
    Also be careful with the panning, my right ear didn't get much love :p
    Other than that, the composition is good, there isn't really a memorable melody though. By that I mean what you would hum if you were asked to describe this song, but in the background it would work.

12. FroggyGames

FroggyGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Here is another song from the same project the last song i posted here was for:

Seerfree, Luiishu535 and Tirian like this.
  13. HexMozart88

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks. Now this is going to be stuck in my head.  :distrust:

Lol, in all seriousness, it's a good song. I do get the space feel to it. 

14. Tirian

First Language:
    English/French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

Very nice!

I would add some fx in the background to make it more interesting, especially at around 0:38 where there is no synth.

15. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @HexMozart88: That's a good point, man! Some variation could be nice.

Here's another track, which is my very first boss battle theme:

I'm personally VERY satisfied with this one, though, I'm always interest to hear other composers' viewpoints on my music, so let me know what you think!

Seerfree and Tirian like this.
  16. Tirian

First Language:
    English/French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

Hmm... that slap bass thing sounds a bit funny, which takes away some of the dramatic feel of the track in my opinion.

But still it's a good track, not too repetitive, pretty catchy as well :)

17. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's not slap bass.  ;_; Thanks though.

18. Tirian

First Language:
    English/French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

What was it? I knew it wasn't slap bass but it was the closest thing I could think of haha

19. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's just a normal electric bass (fingered). Soundfont's from Chrono Trigger. 

20. HexMozart88

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I actually liked the bass. It does have that Chrono Trigger sound to it, and oddly a bit of Megaman. Very nice, I just don't know the context of your battle very well, so I can't really say much on it. 

Luiishu535 likes this.