HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Shuji That sounds like something out of a Disney movie. Very nice piece. 

(I was a little baffled at first when you said you were going for lunch, because I forgot you were Italian, and for me it's only 9 AM. :p

Shuji

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Phil32 The idea is very nice, however the piece is very repetitive. I'd try adding some variation on the melody and the chords ;)

@Sami-Fire64 Both of your tracks have nice atmpospheres, however being character themes I think you should focus more on the melodic lines.

For your questions

- It dependes on the music, but usually the strings are a good choice. Also you could use synthesizers 

-I'd suggest searching for a course or lessons about music theory on google. And studying a lot 

@FroggyGames Wow I didn't expect the voice at all XD It's cool, however, as I suggested for Phil32, you should add some variety changing the chords or the melody.

@Strato All your music sounded very nice!  ;)

@Housekeeping Very nice music man, good job! 

@HexMozart88 Thank you! :D  ( ahah well it happens in a community like this where people are from all the world ) 

@Tirian Thanks a lot for your kind words! I'll surely work on that piano piece, but coming up with a good melody for piano is really really hard for me ( and I'm a pianist .-. ) XD

Wow 15 minutes to write all of this XD 

Last edited by a moderator:

Tirian

Aspiring Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This theme plays while our heroes walk through a city setting on their way home from school.

https://philstortzum.bandcamp.com/track/the-trading-town-of-dorter-2

The bass is too muddy, too much low end that makes the bass not clear enough.
The trumpets should be louder, and perhaps a bit more reverb?
Also it gets a bit repetitive after a while, I'd try a bridge with a slight chord variation.

This was a character theme made for a friend. Right now I'm aware that those attempts at a backing sound (not sure of the technical term) aren't very good. There are also probably reverb issues due to me not being aware that reverb was needed at the time...

Feels very MIDI, you should play with the velocity to make it feel more "human".
As for the reverb, I think there is just the right amount, overall a good song.

Another character theme. I was told about a lack of reverb by someone else; I'm sure you folks will agree. Not as fond of the backing choir as I was when I first made the song. The glockenspiel (I'm thinking that was the instrument I used) sounds a bit excessively sharp (not in the musical sense, more in the "how it feels on my ears" sense).

I think the problem with this one isn't the reverb, but the sounds you used. I'd suggest looking for more soundfonts until you find one that you like (that might involve having to invest a little bit in VST ;P )
I agree that free choir soundfonts are pretty hard to find, right now I'm thinking of saving to buy a high quality one, but they are very expensive...

Before I move on, some questions.

- What do you recommend for the "backing" of music? Like what I tried to do with the choir in the second song.

- Does anyone have any tips on harmony? I can never seem to figure out what notes go together, so my songs get wildly dissonant very quickly.

You want your "backing sound" to be moving, not just a single note that drones in the background.
And the only valuable tip I can give you on harmony is to learn the theory. There is no way around it, and it will definitely help you in the long run.
Plus we live in 2016, with this wonderful tool known as the Internet, where you can find FREE TUTORIALS basically anywhere :D
I don't know if you've ever taken music class but whether you have or not I'd suggest having a look at http://openmusictheory.com/contents.html and read from the beginning.

Here is a character theme I finished up today:

You should add a bass, the low end is only occupied by the kick (which, by the way, I don't really like, you should look for another sample)
I've never dealt with vocals so I don't really know how to mix them, but the least I can say is that it needs some...
... you guessed it.

reverb

My turn, some random pieces:

> My Sword Shall Break The Rules
Really good! I think the only criticism I can give would be to make the drums a tad louder, would make the track "move" more.

> Capital of Royal Family
Again, very shy on the percussion.

> Orange Sunlit Trees
The end was a bit... abrupt ^_^

Seriously, I really like your style! What software/plugins do you use?

Here's my new track:

I want to hear that clavecin more, you should raise the volume of that.
Same as Strato, the ending is just a straight 'cut'.
I don't know if you want your song to loop but I'd be careful and make sure it works well when looping from the start, cause right now you can hear a distinct cut when replaying the song.
The trick is to take the "tail" of the song, which is the decaying sound after your cut, and play it at the same time as the song starts. That way when you play the song on repeat it loops flawlessly.

it's from a while ago, was just messing around with my violin, wanted to play with harmony and rhythm :)

I'm getting Grizzly Hills vibes from this :)
The fact that you play the violin is a strong asset, you should take advantage of that and use it in you songs!

Alright guys, I made the SoundCloud account. This is my new track I just finished

Distortion at 1:00 :headshake:

You should be really carefull with that, it can kill a song very easily (when accidental, or when there is too much. For instance, it has nothing to do here)
Other than that small accident, it sounds great!

Added a spoiler because wall of text  :guffaw:

Sami-Fire64

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the feedback! I'll go around and give comments a bit later, but for now...

@Phil32: The first character theme belonged to a character with a sweet, innocent personality. She's something called a Knight of Cosmos, which means she's magically connected to a location in outer space, so I wanted to keep a "starry" feel to it. The second belongs to a character who has power over fear; what she has done with her power gives her a reputation for being ruthless, cruel, and dangerous. However, she has a sad backstory (she was exiled from her homeworld as a child because of her power), so I wanted the theme to give a feeling of empty sadness along with intimidation.

@Tirian: I'm getting there when it comes to learning the theory... I'll have to give my sources another looking-over, because it's the one thing that just doesn't stick. Also, how do you alter velocity? I found an option in Musescore but I'm not sure what I should set the velocity value to and if I have to do it for each note (that is, if each note should have a different velocity or if I can just alter it once and then leave it at that value for the duration of the song).

I did find some soundfonts yesterday (well, more like found several and revisited one); I'll try using those in my next song (or I'll kick it between Musescore and LMMS so that I can actually use Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra- I don't think MuseScore has the option of using .sfzs).

Tirian

Aspiring Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Also, how do you alter velocity? I found an option in Musescore but I'm not sure what I should set the velocity value to and if I have to do it for each note (that is, if each note should have a different velocity or if I can just alter it once and then leave it at that value for the duration of the song).

I don't think Musescore lets you do that, you might want to look for another DAW for that. Musescore is ood when you have good understanding of music theory and when you have actual instruments (or even an orchestral) with you to play your song.

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
  6 hours ago, Sami-Fire64 said:

Also, how do you alter velocity? I found an option in Musescore but I'm not sure what I should set the velocity value to and if I have to do it for each note (that is, if each note should have a different velocity or if I can just alter it once and then leave it at that value for the duration of the song).

in terms of music production via a software which emulates the sounds, it can be also called attack velocity, which gets into Human Playback in Finale software for instance. Say you have a grace note, that would be the shortest velocity possible for most software of manuscript. The actual delay between the emission of the sound, any additional frames at which the sound is emitted, velocity does impact. But if you are just doing an edit of manuscript that can be read by a real life musician, I suggest altering the speed of notes, that is the length of them. So if you have a half note, you can double or half it. All notes may be doubled or halved, and then quartered longer or shorter and so on using the doted notations (not staccato). Although staccato does alter the length of a note, but the duration change is up to the software emulation or performer.

If you don't want to alter the actual lengths of notes, you can alter tempo and slow the entire thing down without re-arranging the score. Moderato is what most people without hibition speak at, it is also within the range of the human heart beat when the heart is healthy, between 85-120. Adagio is below that. Allegro is faster than that. There are more, I recommend investing in a mechanical metronome, because it will tell you, or even manuscript software, as the articulations have some notes about their uses.

The other way to alter the velocity, is duplets vs triplets and so on. You can pair as many notes of the same weight (length) together and have them played out in the space of X amount of them. So three eighth notes in two eights worth of time, or about 1 single beat for every three notes played in 4/4. This effect can also be achieved by changing the time signature from 4/4 (or C) to 9/8 (6/8 or 3/8).

Anyways, best of luck.

callmedan

Friendly Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Wow! There're so many talented people here.

I have not much experience in making game music, but this is a song I make for my game :)

Btw, I don't know if I can post kind of a cover here or not XD I made a cover of Mario theme song :p

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
that first song should be made more loopable friendly to be used in a game :)  but I like it. by loopable I mean possibly return to a less speedy rhythm/melody.

callmedan

Friendly Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@chungsie thanks! there's a loopable version of it, but I didn't upload XD

Phil32

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello again, gang. I'm selecting songs from my current soundtrack to share one at a time so I don't take too much attention away from the much more impressive offerings by the  rest of you! 

Here is a character theme for a polite, yet bullied character (but not by his friends or the party, of course) in my game.

https://philstortzum.bandcamp.com/track/innocence-lost-noahs-theme

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I feel like it's a bit too cheerful for a bullying victim. Maybe make it have sad undertones to show the pain he hides under his politeness. 

Phil32

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I feel like it's a bit too cheerful for a bullying victim. Maybe make it have sad undertones to show the pain he hides under his politeness. 

I'm hoping it comes more across as a hopeful theme, but how would you alter it? And thanks for the feedback! :)

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So, your song's in C, right? So, I'm picturing some nice, soft A minor chords in the background (not just the base chord, though). And I'm not sure if I'm liking the choir so much. I think a better thing would be some warm woodwind in its place. If you must do choir, maybe a bit in the background. I like it at about 1:20 where you have the other instrument coming in (I can't figure out what it is). Maybe changing the backing at that part to be a little bit melancholic, like he's trying to be optimistic, but that sadness is still hanging there.  

Simon D. Aelsi

Voice Actor/Frelance Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@callmedan I like the calm.  I hear a fair bit of clipping though... I hope it's just my speakers. D:

@Phil32 My only gripe is your sample quality. :S  You can totally tell these are soundfonts. (Still not as bad as Finale, though. Sorry; it's true!)
Also, don't be afraid to throw in some sharps/flats too, bruh!

---------

Right then. This is a piece from two years ago for a now-defunct RM game project. (For those of you who've been around long enough, you know who you are.)

I had re-arranged it and remastered it. 

callmedan

Friendly Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Ghost Galaxy Thanks! btw, you mean the noise in the background? My English is quite bad so I can't understand what people say sometimes XD It's not your speakers. There's something wrong with my vst then it caused the those noise :(

Phil32

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What would be some better sounding sounfonts or whatnot for my music?

And for your piece, Ghost Galaxy, it's such a jaunty tune at the start, and if I'm hearing correctly, it smoothly transitions into a minor key? Regardless, I love it!

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The subtle background chords should be either strings, cello maybe, or piano. 

In the place of the choir, put maybe a flute of a clarinet. If you want to know how that would sound, listen to my piece, Mettle. The melody is done with clarinet. I do like the synths in the background though. Something about it does give that feeling.  

Simon D. Aelsi

Voice Actor/Frelance Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The subtle background chords should be either strings, cello maybe, or piano. 

In the place of the choir, put maybe a flute of a clarinet. If you want to know how that would sound, listen to my piece, Mettle. The melody is done with clarinet. I do like the synths in the background though. Something about it does give that feeling.  
Actually, VSTs are the way to go, @Phil32... They're of MUCH higher quality than soundfonts.. some are free and some you have to pay for. (But is it worth it to you? )

And yes, it goes to minor. Everything feels happy until that point.

Shuji

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
N/A
The bass is too muddy, too much low end that makes the bass not clear enough.
The trumpets should be louder, and perhaps a bit more reverb?
Also it gets a bit repetitive after a while, I'd try a bridge with a slight chord variation.

Feels very MIDI, you should play with the velocity to make it feel more "human".
As for the reverb, I think there is just the right amount, overall a good song.

I think the problem with this one isn't the reverb, but the sounds you used. I'd suggest looking for more soundfonts until you find one that you like (that might involve having to invest a little bit in VST ;P )
I agree that free choir soundfonts are pretty hard to find, right now I'm thinking of saving to buy a high quality one, but they are very expensive...

You want your "backing sound" to be moving, not just a single note that drones in the background.
And the only valuable tip I can give you on harmony is to learn the theory. There is no way around it, and it will definitely help you in the long run.
Plus we live in 2016, with this wonderful tool known as the Internet, where you can find FREE TUTORIALS basically anywhere :D
I don't know if you've ever taken music class but whether you have or not I'd suggest having a look at http://openmusictheory.com/contents.html and read from the beginning.

You should add a bass, the low end is only occupied by the kick (which, by the way, I don't really like, you should look for another sample)
I've never dealt with vocals so I don't really know how to mix them, but the least I can say is that it needs some...
... you guessed it.

reverb

> My Sword Shall Break The Rules
Really good! I think the only criticism I can give would be to make the drums a tad louder, would make the track "move" more.

> Capital of Royal Family
Again, very shy on the percussion.

> Orange Sunlit Trees
The end was a bit... abrupt ^_^

Seriously, I really like your style! What software/plugins do you use?

I want to hear that clavecin more, you should raise the volume of that.
Same as Strato, the ending is just a straight 'cut'.
I don't know if you want your song to loop but I'd be careful and make sure it works well when looping from the start, cause right now you can hear a distinct cut when replaying the song.
The trick is to take the "tail" of the song, which is the decaying sound after your cut, and play it at the same time as the song starts. That way when you play the song on repeat it loops flawlessly.

I'm getting Grizzly Hills vibes from this :)
The fact that you play the violin is a strong asset, you should take advantage of that and use it in you songs!

Distortion at 1:00 :headshake:

You should be really carefull with that, it can kill a song very easily (when accidental, or when there is too much. For instance, it has nothing to do here)
Other than that small accident, it sounds great!

Added a spoiler because wall of text  :guffaw:
I'm sorry, what do you mean by a distortion? xD

Also thanks for the tutorial you posted! 

@Callmedan Very nice atmosphere, I like Fairy Forest really much ;)  

@Ghot Galaxy Very nice tune. I love how it changes from major to minor throughout the piece 

EDIT: Lol I forgot to put my own track here for feeback XD

I composed it yesterday, I worked on it almost 6 hours straight o.o 

I don't really like it, I think it's too generic and bland. Well, I still learned something new ( finally I understood how to add reverb XD )  :D  

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Final sprint for me, although a long one. If everything goes well, I'll graduate by the end of the year. Then I'll have to take the Bar classes and exams (4 months), then I'm off to practicing law (as an intern for 6 months, paid of course, then I'll be a full fledged attorney).
I think there is something wrong with my cat. He is acting CATatonic.
Want to find a quick answer? Say the wrong one and SOMEONE will fall all over themselves to correct you.
Back after almost two years! O_O"
It's time to get back to my unfinished character sprite attempt AND JS/plugin making learning! :D
Hey guys how come my new plugin that I programmed so perfectly doesn't work? Oh wait.... I forgot to add it to my game's plugins. :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ugunagi