callmedan

Friendly Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Shuji Thanks! :D  Your track is nice, I like it, especial the strings.

Btw, how do you guy come up with those nice ideas. I always try to make something as simple as possible (but beautiful enough and fit the scenes, of course) XD That's why my music is never good  :guffaw:

Tirian

Aspiring Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Right then. This is a piece from two years ago for a now-defunct RM game project. (For those of you who've been around long enough, you know who you are.)

I'd add a little more emotion to it, for MIDI it works very well, but I would play it on an actual piano (or play with the velocity to make it more "human")
If you chose to make it MIDI as artistic choice or to fit the mood of the other tracks, then nevermind :p

What would be some better sounding sounfonts or whatnot for my music?

Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra is a really good sample library for that, mixed properly it can sounds (almost) professional, and it's free!
http://sso.mattiaswestlund.net/

I'm sorry, what do you mean by a distortion? xD

From Wikipedia:

"Distortion is the alteration of the original shape (or other characteristic) of something, such as an object, image, sound or waveform.
Distortion is usually unwanted, and so engineers strive to eliminate distortion, or minimize it."

Here's an audio example of distortion:

Now listen to your track, when the trumpet comes in. Notice how, in the higher notes, there is this fizzing sound? That's distortion, and it sounds really bad.
The reason for this is probably due to the sound being too loud, I would suggest adding a limiter plugin on the output signal to put a hard stop at maximum volume, without it affecting the quality of the overall track.

Distortion isn't always a bad thing, you'll find effects to simulate (in a controlled fashion) distortion. Still from Wikipedia:

"Distortion is also used as a musical effect, particularly with electric guitars."

The following video (just watch the first 20 seconds) is someone playing the guitar without any effect, and then activating a distortion pedal. There's a lot of distortion, yet it still sounds good.

You just have to know the difference between good and bad distortion, and generally it all comes down to wanted and unwanted distortion.
Hope this helps :)

EDIT: Lol I forgot to put my own track here for feeback XD

I composed it yesterday, I worked on it almost 6 hours straight o.o 

I don't really like it, I think it's too generic and bland. Well, I still learned something new ( finally I understood how to add reverb XD )  :D  

That deep percussion has no high end, it definitely feels like it's missing.
The reason you feel your track is bland is probably due to the fact that the instruments are the same throughout the track. Maybe add them progressively, one at a time?
I personnaly like it, I don't feel it's too bland. Good work!

Btw, how do you guy come up with those nice ideas. I always try to make something as simple as possible (but beautiful enough and fit the scenes, of course) XD That's why my music is never good  :guffaw:

I honestly don't know how to answer that ._.
Whenever I make a song that's actually (to me at least) good, the first thing I'll have done is usually the main element, the thing that makes it stand out (the melody, the weird glitch riff, the drums with that weird effect I put on them), and it usually flows naturally from there.
But don't worry, it'll come with time.

EDIT --> Spoiler because I like building walls

Last edited by a moderator:

Saltwater Croc

Voice Actor/Frelance Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
... for MIDI it works very well...
I don't play piano. 
And actually that's not a MIDI, but a real professional-quality sample.  :) Everyone's ears are different, I suppose.

And, just for kicks, I will mention that a professional composer friend was "shocked that I could play piano" when she heard this... but I don't. :pI've been using a mouse all my career!

:) Keyboard work for some, mouse for others. You just have to do what works best for you. )

vyncents

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I've been dabbling with writing music for games, I came up with a piece and I'm looking for feedback. I tried to capture the old school snes feel.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
These are pretty good. The first one I find a little unsettling though. It sounds on very on edge. 

Tirian

Aspiring Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
And actually that's not a MIDI, but a real professional-quality sample.  :) Everyone's ears are different, I suppose.

MIDI isn't an instrument (you're probably thinking about the default soundfont for MIDI playback, which is indeed a crappy piano sound), it's a way to program sound.
When you want to make a melody, you have basically 2 options: audio recording, where you play your thing live and record it with a microphone; or use MIDI, with a sequencer for example ("Piano Roll" for Fruity Loops users).
Using MIDI, you can play your melody with any instrument or sample, and that's what you did. You just used, like you said, professional-quality samples (may I ask, by the way, which one you used? I personally use The Giant by Native Instruments).
What I meant by it feeling too "MIDI" was that all your notes play exactly on time, the volume stays pretty much the same throughout the track and so does the tempo. But keep in mind that's something you can do with MIDI.
Then again, it's just my point of view on how I would have played the song, it still works really well as it is!

I've been dabbling with writing music for games, I came up with a piece and I'm looking for feedback. I tried to capture the old school snes feel.

It's pretty cool, though I find it hard to follow what's going on, there isn't a distinct theme.

Here are a few tracks that I've produced (and composed).

Repetitive, but would work perfectly for rap.
I especially like the first one, sounds trippy :)
Really cool stuff!

Saltwater Croc

Voice Actor/Frelance Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
...you're probably thinking about the default soundfont for MIDI playback, which is indeed a crappy piano sound...,
This is exactly what I thought!  Thank you for taking the time to clarify for me. :)
Yeah though, it's true. The only thing I play is a transverse flute.  And  that's okay. :D

Shuji

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm really unispired this days. I've been working on a track for days but I don't have any ideas on how to continue it 

I didn't want to stop posting for an entire week so I decided to post some piano music:

The first track is a small piece that I made two years ago. It is actually the only piece of music I wrote in two years, other than some improvvisations. 

The second one is an improvvisation I made today. I made some mistakes along the way, forgive me ahah 

I'm sorry for the low quality of the recordings, but they were recorded with my phone ahah I tried my best to improve the quality with cubase though XD

@Tirian Thanks a lot for your feedback again :D  Honestly I didn't notice the distortion 

@Last BeNeVoLeNcE I like your tracks but they are too repetitive in my opinion 

@vyncents I feel the track is too "muddy", what I mean is that the instruments voices overlap without creating meaningfull phrases. I don't know if I explained well XD

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Shuji yeah, you did. I listened to it and I knew exactly what you meant. 

@Last BeNeVoLeNcE your tracks are pretty repetitive, but you definitely do have the right tune. You just need to add more to it. 

Shuji

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey guys! I'm here again.

This time I tried making something more spooky/horror-ish. I like the theme, but I don't really like the orchestation in the middle :/ 

I had really a hard time finishing this piece  >_>

Tirian

Aspiring Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This time I tried making something more spooky/horror-ish. I like the theme, but I don't really like the orchestation in the middle :/ 

I had really a hard time finishing this piece  >_>

I think it sounds great tbh! Just make it louder, had to turn my volume way up to hear this one.

When it comes to glockenspiel / music box sounds I prefer brighter sounds, but the sound works great as it is.

I recorded my own music box a while back, if anyone is interested I can post a download link.

Shuji

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think it sounds great tbh! Just make it louder, had to turn my volume way up to hear this one.

When it comes to glockenspiel / music box sounds I prefer brighter sounds, but the sound works great as it is.

I recorded my own music box a while back, if anyone is interested I can post a download link.
Thanks  :D

I too prefer brighter sounds, but this is what the library I have offers me ahah

I'd like to hear it tirian

Shuji

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I like it really much. It has a really nice atmosphere, I don't think it's too complex  :)

mcphersonsound

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have some music I'd like to share. I wrote this for a masters thesis game. It was a game where you play as a volcano. There was a interactive element to the music too.

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Not bad, not bad at all. I know what your game's about, and I'd say this fits pretty decently. I think the F sharp in the right hand is a bit too loud, makes it too unsettling, but other than that, it's a pretty good song. (I literally just stalk this thread, XD)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Babbaditch Finster and the Seven-Sided Cube has got to be one of my favorite classic games that didn't exist when I was kid, or ever
My tutorial about frankenspriting is now online :3 Any topic you would like to see next?
Stuffing three people in a room and thinking they'll study together is so wrong XD I don't get how people do group studies. We just end up gossiping about everything except studying lol
Been parallax mapping nigh all night. :D
2nd character based on the same random inputs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yoyohony8