Post Your Music

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Archeia, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. FroggyGames

FroggyGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    here is a snow overworld theme:

Tirian likes this.
  2. Tianlong

Tianlong Villager Member

First Language:
    French/English
    I decided it was time for me to try and come back here more often since I've been composing more regularly, lately.

@FroggyGames Your song is a little bit on the repetitive side. Maybe you should try adding a melody on top of that main arpeggio. Maybe some strings too could help garnish it all. It is a little bit too reverb-less for my taste but maybe that's just me as I tend to love reverb heavy songs.

Here's one made for a calm and soothing lake area. I want to rework the last section and the mix but here it is anyway.

Note to myself : I really need to change my soundcloud/facebook picture.

Edit : Don't know it the embedded link works so here's the hyperlink :

https://soundcloud.com/matthieu-tessier/lac-aux-larmes

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2016
    Tirian likes this.
  3. Eyehavey0u

Eyehavey0u Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A few game music I worked on 3-4 years ago. I have not made any since 2013.

Tirian likes this.
  4. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Tianlong Very nice song. (And if my French is correct, the title is... Lake of Tears?) 

5. Tianlong

Tianlong Villager Member

First Language:
    French/English
    @HexMozart88 Your French is good because that is exactly it ! ;)

@Eyehavey0u I listened to a cuple of your songs and I like what I'm hearing. The first one is different, a kind of a hybrid of techno/dance and classical which wouldn't work in theory but fits in this song.

On 'A Sorrow', I would maybe give it a little more stereo image. It feels a little bit cluttered in the center. The instruments need more breathing space.

Anyways, why haven't you compose since then ?

6. Eyehavey0u

Eyehavey0u Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the feed back! @Tianlong! A sorrow was when I was learning a few new tricks haha. The last song I composed was mother tree. I was really getting the hang of it. I was studying suikoden, final fantasy and dragon quest songs. The reason I ended up stopping was due to personal reasons which made me stop a lot of things. I was thinking about getting back into it. Not sure how rusty I would be but maybe I can use you to give me some pointers and criticism? :)

Tirian likes this.
  7. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Alright, cool. I learned French in school, but I had to stop for art obligations. So looks like I haven't lost it yet.  :)

@Eyehavey0u You definitely should get back to it! All of us here would be happy to help you get back into it. 

8. Sawneek

Sawneek Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Another track from the game Aria Eclipsis in developing :)

Tirian likes this.
  9. Tirian

Tirian Aspiring Composer Veteran

First Language:
    English/French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I found this one interesting, there is just a thing bothering me: the piano is panned to the left on the root note, it's kind of unsettling.

It works really well, good job!

I think the lead is over-compressed, it makes the sound feel "squished", if that makes sense.
    Add that to the fact that this song is (despite the few variations in chord progression) very repetitive, if I heard this in a game I'd be annoyed pretty fast honestly.
    The idea is good and the melody is intriguing, but it's just not finished in my opinion.

I love that jingle sound, percussion in general is great in this song, really well paced and mixed.
    There is too much low end on the bell, doesn't feel very natural.
    The violin is too dry, I'd add some reverb. Same thing for the oboe/clarinet later on.
    I'd suggest putting a volume automation on that choir, to make it feel more real. Voices won't sustain notes on the same level, they're gonna go up and down constantly (even a little).
    Other than that I love it!
    Bon boulot la famille  :thumbsup-left:

The violin is also too dry, add (just a tiny bit of) reverb.
    The crickets and birds are too loud, feels like noise at that point. You should keep it in the background in my opinion.
    The rest is great, good work :)

Tianlong likes this.
  10. Tianlong

Tianlong Villager Member

First Language:
    French/English
    @Tirian Thanks man ! I love constructive criticism like the one you gave me. I didn't work the mix too much and I wanted to get back to it soon. Your comments will really help me shape this song in the best way possible. The volume automation for the choir...I never really thought about that and I use choirs a lot so, I will try that for sure. You're right about the bell's low end too. I wondered if someone would point that out when I uoloaded it. ;)

@Sawneek

I really like this song. I found the melody nice and hopeful. Thought it could fit as a town theme or a joyful scene. I can't really comment on the mix since I listened to it on my girlfriend's laptop but I'll try and give it another shot tomorrow, when I get back home. I'll give you my insights on it then.

Tirian likes this.
  11. Sawneek

Sawneek Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

I've reuploaded this fixing the mix

Tirian likes this.
  12. Tirian

First Language:
    English/French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

[​IMG]

13. Tianlong

Tianlong Villager Member

First Language:
    French/English

I second that ! Listened to it in my home studio today and it sounds a lot better. Good job !

14. Tirian

First Language:
    English/French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So I am currently working on remaking the Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap OST using Albion One by Spitfire Audio.

I just released the third part.

15. Tianlong

Tianlong Villager Member

First Language:
    French/English
    @Tirian Very nice work. I like it a lot ! Did you remaster it by ear ?

Tirian likes this.
  16. Tirian

First Language:
    English/French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

Yeah, just downloaded the whole soundtrack and wrote each part while listening to the original track.

This is why the notes themselves don't change and the percussion stays the same, which imo I should have changed, cause it just sounds weird.

17. YagamiKyo

YagamiKyo Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Hey there! After months being too busy to do anything I managed to make a new piece. And orchetral, which is my weak point. So enjoy, and any improvements you can give please be my guest

Tirian likes this.
  18. Tianlong

Tianlong Villager Member

First Language:
    French/English
    @YagamiKyo For this being your weak point, I think the end result isn't half bad. I think my main gripe with your song is more with the mixing and the instruments samples themselves than the composition. Even though it's still a little bit repetitive and I would work on the transition near the end where everything stops, I think it's promising. Keep refining your orchestral technique...and add some more reverb ! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2016
  19. YagamiKyo

YagamiKyo Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Thanks for the fast reply. Yeah, unfortunately this is my first time using this library, and it is free. Can't afford East West or anything like that when I'm saving money for a Focusrite 2i2 so I can record guitar. So yeah, the samples aren't the greatest thing but it will do I guess. Taking into account this is a proof of concept, that last repetition wasn't intended. I will keep on working on this piece, but it will take some time. And I do need to add more reverb indeed, after changing to Reaper it was my first time using ReaVerb.

Thanks for your kind words and your help

Tianlong likes this.
  20. Tianlong

Tianlong Villager Member

First Language:
    French/English
    I'm looking for a focusrite too, a 6i6 ! These red puppies look nice and sound really good. Can't wait to get my hands on one.