Kaimen

Noisemaker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@YagamiKyo I can only agree to what Tianlong said. For this being your weak point, it's quite decent. I imagine with the right samples and mastering this could be a very good song. What threw me off initially though was the panning at the beginning. Now, I know that the double basses are on the right and the harps etc. on the left when you look at an actual orchestra. However, by using this sort of... let's call it "extreme" panning, especially at the beginning, you're gonna throw people off. It's just weird when a song starts and you can only hear it on one ear. Some effects, like reverb, might actually help there, too. From what I could hear you didn't really do a lot with effects, did you? Good mastering is just as important as a solid composition. :)

Also, you said you couldn't afford the EastWest stuff. Have you looked into their "Composer Cloud" yet? For a monthly fee you can basically "rent" their libraries instead of buying them for the horrendous prices they ask. Just thought I'd mention that since I've been looking into that myself. ^-^

----------------

Speaking of horrendously priced libraries... a few weeks ago I bought Super Audio Cart! XD

I know, I know, it's not that expensive but worth every cent in my opinion. And I gotta say, I've never had that much fun playing around with a library. Anyway, before this becomes a review, here's the song that I made with Super Audio Cart. It's the first one I made with it and I'm still figuring things out, so... be kind. :p

Sawneek

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is an old track when I used Guitar Pro...it's one of my favorites!! :)

Ursa Koda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Samoan
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey boys and girls and those in between;

here is some metal, remember to play loud and say no to drugs and alcohol,

live clean, don't be criminal, work hard, respect your elders, and me.

@Tianlong Well this is just a straight-shooter guitar only. If I wanted keyboard I play different kind of music, in my opinion keyboards have nothing to do in this kind of rock. And I have so many many many keyboard/synth/piano tracks played in from before :p

Some nights I just enjoy playing fast guitars. And if you have heard this kind of music before, try something you never hear before,

a 30 minute musical tale of morality, if you looking for something special then:

Last edited by a moderator:

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I decided to compose some stuff for practice. I was thinking about an OST for a game I'm working on. Wanted a General and Conquest feel to it.

oh ya, it's my 12th sonata on record :)

Archduke

Jack of all Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@chungsie The individual parts are okay, but that melody is very wild/random and all over the place. I'm having a hard time following it.  You also might check out some free soundfonts (such as SGM) if you want better quality instruments without paying an arm and a leg.

@Sawneek I really like this! It has a great sense of atmosphere, though it doesn't really go anywhere with all of its tension and emotion. It's like it gets to a high point and gets stuck there in a loop.

@YagamiKyo Not bad. The melody is a bit awkward and doesn't seem to go anywhere, though.

@Kaimen This is pretty good. The mixing needs a bit of work I think. Instruments that aren't the focal point of any given phrase should be pushed into the background a bit so that they don't detract from the song as a whole. It has a good sense of cohesion.

@Tirian Oof, that's a nice one. The transition between sections could use a bit of smoothing over due to the change in frequencies (coming from the lower quality samples to these much cleaner ones) and it might require a bit more layering with the string and brass instruments to achieve the fullness/richness of the original, but it's still good stuff.

@FroggyGames It's good, but it's not very interesting. It creates a tone, but it then just sits on that and doesn't create any sort of interest in the listener. It just needs more, as the way it uses simplicity and minimalism could lull the player into a sense of boredom. The way you use the silence and echoes is fine, but it needs more than just that.

Tianlong

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French/English
Primarily Uses
@Kaimen I really enjoyed this song. Feels fresh and different. I would maybe tone down the bass a little bit but that's a minor complaint.

By the way, you were talking about the composer's cloud. I had just subscribed the day you posted this but I still haven't had time to mess around with it. I had been using the orchestral bundle in the past and liked it very much but now I'm excited to see what Dark Side and Ghoswriter are all about. Ghostwriter was designed by Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree which is a musician I immensely respect. Those libraries are huge though...I've been downloading them since 3 days now.

@Sawneek Would love this if the guitar sample was of better quality but I know guitar pro isn't tailored for that, so that's not your fault. The beginning made me think of Laura's theme from Silent Hill 2 which is a plus in my book. As Archduke said, the end could benefit from more work.

@Lakaroth Endless Autumn is beautiful.I've got nothing else to say.

@Ursa Koda The song isn't bad but could benefit from some variety. It's like we've heard this kind of sound too often. Maybe try adding some keyboards to balance things out a bit.

@chungsie The melody is indeed wild and hard to pinpoint. It feels rushed to me and more work time could help improve this song. Keep at it !

Tirian

Aspiring Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is an old track when I used Guitar Pro...it's one of my favorites!! :)

Sounds great, though a bit too strongs on the mid frequencies, I'd tone those down a bit.

My game soundtrack WIP

The sample quality isn't the best, but that's forgivable.

As a whole it sounds good, I'd add some reverb to make it feel more real.

I decided to compose some stuff for practice. I was thinking about an OST for a game I'm working on. Wanted a General and Conquest feel to it.

reverb

Also, it feels a bit random to me, I don't hear a definite rythm or motif. By that I mean something that you would hum if I asked you to describe your song and I hadn't heard it.

@Tirian Oof, that's a nice one. The transition between sections could use a bit of smoothing over due to the change in frequencies (coming from the lower quality samples to these much cleaner ones) and it might require a bit more layering with the string and brass instruments to achieve the fullness/richness of the original, but it's still good stuff.

Thanks a lot! Didn't really notice the change in quality since they all come from the same library and I used the same samples in the same project.
Concerning what you said about layering, I just recently started watching tutorials on Kontakt libraries and just found out how to edit automation for midi controlled knobs and faders, so I'll be able to have more control on dynamics and stuff.

By the way, you were talking about the composer's cloud. I had just subscribed the day you posted this but I still haven't had time to mess around with it.

I've been thinking about composer cloud for a while now, but I'm not sure yet...
Care to tell us (when you've had the time to use it) what it's like and if it's worth it?

Archduke

Jack of all Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks a lot! Didn't really notice the change in quality since they all come from the same library and I used the same samples in the same project.
Concerning what you said about layering, I just recently started watching tutorials on Kontakt libraries and just found out how to edit automation for midi controlled knobs and faders, so I'll be able to have more control on dynamics and stuff.

No no, not the change in quality in your samples, but the change from the original's sample quality to your samples. Lower quality samples tend to have a lot of noise, which makes the songs sound a lot more full than they actually are. So it's like: what works with those samples doesn't necessarily sound as great with higher quality samples without a bit of tweaking.

Tirian

Aspiring Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh all right, I see what you mean. How would you go about fixing that?

Lakaroth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The sample quality isn't the best, but that's forgivable.

As a whole it sounds good, I'd add some reverb to make it feel more real.

Thank you Tiran, if you have some suggestions to improve the quality i appreccieate it, i'm not a composer i'm using Logic X from 2/3 weeks, well i play guitar by years i know

music in a way...

I'm using some Native Instruments, and i don't see low quality instruments, but i'm not a composer :)

You have some tips?

Best

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
sorry @everyone for me I hear a melodic line, but maybe because I am crazy...

Tirian

Aspiring Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Lakaroth I don't know, just experiment I guess.

Listening to your track again, I think the reason I talked about sample quality is because it's too dry, making the track feel less "real".

So, as a whole: more reverb  :guffaw:

Tianlong

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French/English
Primarily Uses
@Tirian I'll try and have a go at it this week-end. I don't think I'll be disappointed but we'll see. I'll tell you all about it soon. ;)

Btw, here's a village theme I composed a cuple months ago. The title is pretty self-explanatory.

Sami-Fire64

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Tianlong I really like this! Oddly, what I like most is the percussion... it fits the pace and mood very well, and it seems unique to me in its construction somehow. The others will probably have more technical feedback for you, but I enjoyed this track.

I was in the mood, so I sat down and tried to make something in LMMS today... I was aiming for something that'd play in one of those classy RPG bars where the bartender is perpetually polishing glasses. I tried some new things (reverb! I put it in there... I just hope it sounds like I did), but I'm not entirely sure what to make of the final result... the first half I kind of like, but by the second half I started panicking because I had no idea what I was doing. Blank piano rolls are very intimidating when you're not sure where to put that first note. Well, let me know the damages on this one, and maybe I'll try and patch it up later.

Tianlong

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French/English
Primarily Uses
@Sami-Fire64 Thanks for the comment. I really like your track too. The mixing is great and I love that saxophone. It gives a jazzy vibe to the track which fits the theme aptly. Good job !

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
here is something I wrote for a game ost. 

not sure if people would want to use it in their own projects or not.

Tirian

Aspiring Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Btw, here's a village theme I composed a cuple months ago. The title is pretty self-explanatory.

I like this one! The guitar in the second part is really nice.
I'm hearing some distortion, though, so make sure there aren't any instruments that are clipping (or the master channel)

I was in the mood, so I sat down and tried to make something in LMMS today... I was aiming for something that'd play in one of those classy RPG bars where the bartender is perpetually polishing glasses.

The bassline is very repetitive (doesn't mean you have to change the chord progression or the bassline as a whole just throw in a bit of variation, maybe in some notes or on the velocity, note length etc...)

reverb! I put it in there... I just hope it sounds like I did

It's a very light, short-decay reverb which goes nicely with the feel you're trying to get (the one that you're in a bar, a fairly small room)

the first half I kind of like, but by the second half I started panicking because I had no idea what I was doing.

I'm going to assume you're talking about the first and second melodies. What is lacking here is a strong motif, something memorable (which doesn't necessarily mean simple). Here it does sound a bit random, so I couldn't really tell you how to make it better. For the second half though, I think what's bothering you is the fact that the saxophone and piano are playing two different melodies. To fix that you don't need to have them play the same notes, but have them play a similar motif.

Well... My first creation I guess xD

I guess it is...  :p
On a more serious note, the only feedback that could be of use to you at this stage would be to continue, make more music, all day, everyday! (and post it here ofc)

here is something I wrote for a game ost. 

My right ear enjoyed that guitar.
Okay I should stop being mean now  :guffaw:

Your chords can get a bit clogged and messy at times (thinking about 0:20 and 0:51).

Also reverb ples

---

Here's something I've been working on for a few days now. It's definitely more "sci-fi" than most submissions here but I don't see why these wouldn't be accepted :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Welp, finally posted some images to Twitter that I meant to post last year... Better late than never, right?
Just going to leave this here. :LZSexcite:
Going for a spooky theme with my animal crossing home/town. All I gotta do is find that one gravestone recipe out of hundreds for my cemetary ; u;
Asthma has been getting worse because I can't get my paws on a brown (preventer) inhaler. Been without one for over a week now. Struggling to breathe sucks.
I'm wondering, what if I took the time to make a Bee Hive mirco-biome. It sounds cute, and be a home to that hornet monster, but would anyone actually use it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinnott