ImaginaryVillain

Now A YouTube Cool Kid! =D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I keep a lot of backups. Occasionally I like to take a trip down memory lane and see how my old stuff looked so that I can better appreciate where I am now. It really helps put something of a perspective on things for me. So in my profile posts I did just that by posting these....
2 months in...
the_oldest_of_old.jpg

4 months in... Yes I edited rat heads onto everything. XD
very_very_old.jpg

9 months in... This version was already at 40 minutes or so, and three major boss fights already made.
old_version_1.jpg

Right before the lockdown... I had decided to switch to open maps and the fast running.
a_long_way_1.jpg

So I've actually been working on one version or another of this game for a long time. Kind of amusing at least for me to see how I got here.

You can see where I am now with the link in my signature. But advertising my game is not the point of this thread. Instead I entreat everybody to pull out screenshots of their old projects, be they forgotten, half finished, or requiring strange forms of RM necromancy to summon... And join me on a trip down memory lane. :LZSexcite:

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't have any of my very old games backed up. :kaocry:My first ever game was a game with colored mice. I only really remember feeling moved over the idea of making my own game at the time and how much they didn't fit in with everything else lol.

(edit: These are from my first game on MV that I never finished)

The idea was that the world was divided into realms and you could access them through the portals. Different realms had different characters.

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here are some of my old game screenshots. When I was a try-hard graphic snob. And this particular game was my Magnum Opus, a.k.a The Dream Game. That is now either canceled or put on hiatus indefinitely.

jts09.jpg
Main menu

jts10d.jpg
Skill menu

jts13.jpg
Actor menu (please don't ask what does those bar means because I had no idea either)

jts14.jpg
Item menu

I'm pretty sure I have older screenshot other than these, but now I can't find them.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh I have some stuff :D this rbings back some fun memories.

This is a game I was working on before Escalia. It was called Startide.

Some steampunk train

Exterior.

Bonus, I found a very old Escalia title screen I was working on. Wanted to have silhouettes of my chars with maps in them, I remember having different silhouettes. Scrapped the idea eventually.

Edit: I also remember working in.. either rm2k or rm2k3. I had a battle system coded. I'm sure it's on one of my very very old HDs, but yeah. Not attached to my pc :(

zakthepower

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's a screeshot of my game that was taken on May 23, 2020:
Here are some screenshots I took today:
fffscreen14.pngfffscreen15.pngfffscreen16.png

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese

Instead of a screenshot, have what's the first and one of the few animated cutscenes I've ever done, back from 2013 XD

This "demo" has a... voiced intro... too. it's cringe. but it's kinda surreal too so i appreciate the mood

edit: my English was so awfully bwoken,.. not that it isn't anymore anyway

JoTerra

Protector of the Earth, God of Courage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a few screenshots of my game right before i knew two things
1. SRDude's HUD maker wasn't my thing.
2. I really wanted to take my game seriously.
Captura de pantalla (75).png
Captura de pantalla (76).png

Fantasmi_Gammes

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a few screenshots of my game right before i knew two things
1. SRDude's HUD maker wasn't my thing.
2. I really wanted to take my game seriously.
Veo que hablas español así que te respondo en español xDDD, ESTÁ GUAPISIMO

Now in english for the other people,
IT'S AMAZING

Amysaurus

Dinosnore
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I started the project in 2016, with my teeny baby graphics:
...then I was stuck in my dorm room with the flu for a couple weeks and redid the graphics:
...then (because I'm some kind of masochist) I let myself get talked into bumping up the resolution after switching engines:

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd love to share some screencaps from my now-defunct early build of A Lion in Scarlet, later on. For now though, will share screenshots from my completed games. Split by each game...

My first serious RPG Maker game, not counting my illegal RM2k game that's lost to time. A demo still lingers on RMN, but I never finished. The idea was that the lion-gal protagonist died on her first adventure, and a malevolent being was trying to reap her soul. The wolf of this labyrinth was a psychopomp, meant to secretly warn her of the danger and prepare her for the fight of her (after)life against the demon.

My first completed game on RMN. It wasn't great, and the failure made me give up for a year or two. Was a rough part of my life in general, back then. Three adventurers -- a devout dancer, a mercenary, and a student sorceress -- were tasked to clear out monster invasions on an isle off the coast of their home city.

Even with my initial failings, some parts of my game design ideas were cemented, such as limited movesets and descriptive treasure messages. No "Got Potion!" prompts here. There's a screenshot I'd love to share for an easter egg, but that'd involve me downloading and playing my crappy "first" game. I might share it later, though, :p

Sold as "the sequel no one asked for" to Forsaken Isle, made for my first RMN event jam. I had the prompt of "Palette", and another as the screenshot below. From this, I did a spin on a favorite Oblivion sidequest of mine. Tawny became an ordained cleric, Zeke a militia member (who hid away his self-damaging dark magic for personal reasons), and Carol specialized in elemental magic.

This game had no extra equips (save for a sword made to deal more damage to the last boss), and items were flavored as being made from the mana from felled foes. The trio were trapped inside a pocket dimension painting, made by a potentially Faustian artist. With the artist slain by an entity called the Painted Knight, they had to find a means to escape.

Word of God(dess), their adventure is in the same universe as A Lion in Scarlet. I'm super-tempted to have them cameo in Raziya's adventures someday. ;3

(Image prompt to the challenge)

(can I just say how lucky I felt to capture the Thunder One animation in this frame XD)

My first game starring Raziya, made for the Pride Month 2019 event at RMN. It serves as a prologue for Raziya, who is canonically trangender (normally lionesses don't have manes, right?). I'm tempted to use bits and pieces of this for my reboot of A Lion in Scarlet, going forward.

The last game I had created and released thus far. It's a dating sim made for a Valentine's Day event of 2020, featuring my gnoll bard Nazreen. The prompt was inspired by a running gag for my D&D campaign on RMN's Discord channel. The party's Chaotic Stupid kleptomaniac rogue was gonna be in a dating sim, trying to romance someone he'd been caught stealing from.

The player never committed, but I sure as heck did. You play a gnoll in a faux-Persian city, hanging out at the local coffee shop with Naz (a "dallah" is a traditional Arabic coffee pot). Speaking of silly prompts from Forsaken Isle, there is a fetishy dialogue prompt somewhere that I threw in to make it awkward. Might grab that one later, too! XD

(are fights to the death against local criminals romantic...?)

(Serpents and Sepulchers -- the titans' game!)

Last edited:

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@luzi, wow that is a lot of coding to make that happen. I am jealous of all of the people with their impressive works.

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Amysaurus WOW that's some gorgeous work!! All 3 versions look amazing!

I unfortunately don't have a lot of screencaps from completed maps, just stuff I did to practice pixel art.

This one's the most interesting because I jumped from 2003 to XP to VX Ace really, really rapidly; I have completed tilesets for all 3, but my catalogue of caps isn't quite as complete. Look at me learn!

And then to XP, which I don't have the caps for despite how extensive the tileset is, and of course VX Ace where there were autotiles and oth

OH GOD WHY

Really want to revisit this one now that I know how both complex pixel art and autotiles work. Asesprite has really helped with effective spritework. Latest MV sprites I did for fun VS old VX Ace sprites. Both 3 frames.

Even recently I used to be convinced the only way to get smooth, elegant animation was to have 6 frames, but as it turns out, all you really need is to not suck at animating pixel characters.

I want to finish the project in MZ....................

Another I have caps saved of I started in 2003 and tried to work on in MV years later:

You can tell I was sooort of getting the hang of things, but didn't quite understand MV's painted-looking tiles, and imitated them poorly. My understanding of pixel art and palettes still being rudimentary didn't help. The character sprite actually came like 6 months after the tilesets, and again, it's obvious that I picked up a few things during that time. Still pleased with the carpet, though.

I never realized how the limitations of 2003 contributed to ease of getting good-looking custom assets. Simply learning a few basics gave me a pretty elegant product. Having good RTP to riff of of also helped a lot; once I got the DS tiles, I suddenly had the legendary ""basic pixel art ability""".

As for stuff I made with RTP...I have approximately a billion, but I left them behind on my old computer. They weren't exactly stupendous anyway, though.

Last edited:

dragoonwys

Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh LOL, I had to dig this up from the dark depths of my hard drive. 7 years ago. This is my first ever publicly available game, made as a fun joke for my friends. It was a puzzle game with our characters in it. And I used the same theme for my IGMC 2018 contest demo, I would say my puzzle mechanics improved since this one.

kjhk.png
hjghj.png

But this ending still makes me shake my head and laugh LOL
hhjf.png
jhgjhg.pngjhgjhgj.png

Credits roll, and it was actually all a dream caused by too much drinks at a after party!
jhgjh.png

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes I just think.... we all had eighth-grade syndrome, only difference is in the severity. :kaopride:
//Makes complex mechanic...
//Slaps self
No U! We make it fast, simple and fun! :kaolivid:
If it needs a long tutorial(s) on how to do it, it's bad... Just look at FF13. :kaoback:
//Shudders
Good point self. :kaopride:

There was an accident at the stone mason's workshop today. Some @The Stranger was seen on the premises, ranting about evil secret guild business before they destroyed the Statue of David. Public and law enforcement will keep an eye out for vandals!
I suppose at some point I should figure out how to change my name on here.
Teaching friend how to use MV, so far he can fight his cat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr