Potential browser issue opening any RPGM game

choc98

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Let me preface this by saying, I'n not a game developer I just play RPGM games.

Lately I've been having an issue playing ALL RPGM games that I have. When I click game.exe, it opens the launcher but instead of the game initializing I see a list of the directories in the parent folder of the game (screenshot attached below, directory names redacted).

RPGM Issue.png
As per suggestions on some other threads about game crashes here (but not the exact same issue), I have updated my graphics drivers (RTX 2070 Max-Q) and my browsers (default is chrome) to the latest version.

I cannot pinpoint when this started happening but I guess it has to be somewhat recent around July 2021.

I also tried to start the game in the browser by clicking www/index.html but I get the error in the screenshot below. Which leads me to suspect that this issue might be related to a chrome update that mucked around with browser permissions around local files. I might be totally wrong since I do not know the internal workings of an RPGM game.

RPGM Issue 2.png

Has anyone else experienced this? What could be the potential root cause of this?

Any help here would be appreciated. Thank you!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
where have you stored those games?

everything points to the folders being damaged or in the wrong location on your computer.
and that would not be a bug, but a mistake you personally made.

Please give the full path with all foldernames to the game, beginning with the drive letter. There are several known causes that can be identified from that path.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I see a list of the directories in the parent folder of the game
Does this happen to all games? If it's just one, you have to check the data in package.json.
It should be something like this:
JavaScript:
{
    "name": "",
    "main": "www/index.html",
    "js-flags": "--expose-gc",
    "window": {
        "title": "",
        "toolbar": false,
        "width": 816,
        "height": 624,
        "icon": "www/icon/icon.png"
    }
}
I also tried to start the game in the browser by clicking www/index.html but I get the error in the screenshot below.
Browsers have security restrictions, but you can get past this barrier:

choc98

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
where have you stored those games?

everything points to the folders being damaged or in the wrong location on your computer.
and that would not be a bug, but a mistake you personally made.

Please give the full path with all foldernames to the game, beginning with the drive letter. There are several known causes that can be identified from that path.
Thanks for responding.

The folder paths are 'E:/Other/Game1/' and 'E:/Other/Game2/'.

I forgot to mention this before in my original post maybe, but the games used to work fine at one point from these same locations. I've also downloaded a fresh copy of several games to make sure that the game files are not corrupted.

I also tried moving the games to a completely different directory in separate partition. Same result.

What I did find out yesterday is that this is not applicable for ALL the RPGM games. Only the newer ones made with RPGMV.

choc98

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Does this happen to all games? If it's just one, you have to check the data in package.json.
It should be something like this:
JavaScript:
{
    "name": "",
    "main": "www/index.html",
    "js-flags": "--expose-gc",
    "window": {
        "title": "",
        "toolbar": false,
        "width": 816,
        "height": 624,
        "icon": "www/icon/icon.png"
    }
}

Browsers have security restrictions, but you can get past this barrier:

Thanks for the response!

The package.json looks identical to the one you've pasted except the 'name' has a value of 'KADOKAWA/RPGMV'. I'm assuming that this is standard and should not cause the behaviour that it does in my system.

I will try out granting Chrome explicit permissions to use the file system and post an update here once I've observed the results.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Tip: It is not necessary to make an answer for each person, the +Quote button is to list the comments in order.

Are the projects on a Pen-Drive or virtual folder (SMB/Google Drive)?
If it's a Pen-Drive, maybe it's in some format like FAT or FAT32 that might not be compatible with the read method, XML Request or require('fs').

I'm waiting for feedback on testing with Chrome. :thumbsup-left:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The folder paths are 'E:/Other/Game1/' and 'E:/Other/Game2/'.
Did you really name them "Game1" and "Game2" or did you censor the names?

I asked for the names because there are some specific letters that browsers have problems with and that Windows forces on browsers with overrides (like spaces for example), and that can result in exactly the error you describe - the games work as long as the override is accepted and then suddenly there is a hickup and the browser rejects the override, failing to handle the now forbidden letters after that.

choc98

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Did you really name them "Game1" and "Game2" or did you censor the names?

I asked for the names because there are some specific letters that browsers have problems with and that Windows forces on browsers with overrides (like spaces for example), and that can result in exactly the error you describe - the games work as long as the override is accepted and then suddenly there is a hickup and the browser rejects the override, failing to handle the now forbidden letters after that.
This helped!

I had a special character in the folder names. Game.exe started working as soon as it was removed. Forgot that I had changed the folder names a few months ago.

Thank you very much!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This helped!
and this also proofs that data protection ideas are bad when searching for bugs.
if we ask for something there is usually a reason why we need that data, and giving false answers (and your answer was a false one no matter what reason you had for lying) will prevent us from helping you.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A certain person better sell his stock while he still can, because it looks like it's going to take an unrecoverable nose dive.
7 years of trying to plan this project... and it got an official plotline today. 7 years. I really just have no concept of order huh GHJGSJHGVGHASFH.
Doing RPG Maker News for 24th October 2021

I'm not sure how to do this so I'll just ask here, Wheres a good place to post your game (for free) once its done?
I don't know what I'm doing :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bratio