RMMV Precognition

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by JapoZero, Oct 30, 2017.

1. JapoZero

JapoZero Building up speed for 12 hours™ Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    Synopsis and Gameplay Features
    [​IMG]
    "As much as I try, my life keeps getting worse.
    I've been cursed with nightmarish visions that I can't even prevent."

Between February, and September of 2017, Jennifer Conner has suffered incessant premonitions. On top of that, her dreams about future events always come to pass in one way or another. Her latest dream is about the kidnapping of a little girl in her hometown, Whitefields. Worried, Jennifer decides to investigate the matter herself, fearing that something terrible might happen to the girl.
    However, merely having the ability to see the future, having knowledge of what is about to happen, may not prevent the future from occurring: choices have to be made.
    Will they be the right ones? Will Jennifer be able to save the little girl from a terrible fate?

"Precognition" is a horror and suspense game that focuses on the player's choices. You must help Jennifer in her mission of helping the little girl from her dreams, before it's too late. Depending on the decisions you make, characters will react in different ways, scenes will change, and the story will end in different ways. These choices are unavoidable and irreversible in most cases.
    Some of the features you'll find in the game are:
    • Multiple endings. The current version (demo) features three different endings. That number will increase considerably in the final version. I expect it to be near ten or twelve endings, ranging from “tragic” ones to “happy” ones.
    • An autosave system. For now, the game only allows you to have three save files, and includes an autosave system which saves your progress after every important choice, making them irreversible. For the final version I'll improve this system, so the player can return to certain points in the story, and in order to make multiple playthroughs less tedious, especially for completionist players.
    • Exploring the town of Whitefields. Whenever you want, you can freely explore the town. You can find interesting things, hints and information according to the phase of the day. NPCs have their own routines, and they're present only at certain times. You’ll be able to help certain characters, getting rewards in the process.
    Characters
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jennifer Conner (17 years old / February 15, 2000 / Aquarius)
    She's the main character of Precognition. A rather lazy and dull girl that tries her best, but gets more depressed with each one of her unavoidable visions. Her father died in a car accident, and her workaholic mother doesn’t treat her very well. It may seem that the only person she can trust is her best friend, Megan, but Jennifer's insecurity and fear of being called crazy has made her isolate herself from everyone, including her best friend.
    [​IMG]
    Megan Allen (18 years old / May 22, 1999 / Gemini)
    Jennifer’s best friend since childhood. She has good intentions and tries to be a good friend, but most of the time she feels that Jennifer doesn't value their friendship. Megan doesn’t believe in paranormal stuff, including premonitions, so Jennifer fears that Megan will not believe her at all.
    She’s very intelligent, though she tends to jump to conclusions and she gets easily scared by anything.
    [​IMG]
    Marcia Hopkins (19 years old / July 7, 1998 / Cancer)
    A serious and determined girl who recently moved to Whitefields. After befriending one of her neighbors, Suzanne, she worries when the little girl disappears suddenly. Marcia will help Jennifer and Megan in their mission to rescue her, as she knows some of the dark secrets hidden by the family of the little girl.
    Even if she tries to be a strong person in most situations, a tragic event of her childhood haunts her.
    [​IMG]
    Suzanne Symons (9 years old / September 11, 2007 / Virgo)
    The little girl from Jennifer's premonitions. She comes from a dysfunctional family, though she tries to be optimistic as much as she can, hoping that one day everything will get better. Jennifer will try to use her visions to save the girl from a terrible fate.

Secondary Characters:

[​IMG]
    Elizabeth Conner (née Burrows; 44 years old / January 6, 1973 / Capricorn)
    Jennifer's workaholic mother and once a kind and loving person. She lost her husband due to a car accident, and after months of financial struggles and grief, her personality has changed, up to the point that she's a completely different person: a cold, ruthless and serious woman who does not tolerate any lack of respect.

[​IMG]
    Edward Conner (44 years old / January 20, 1973 - February 10, 2017 / Capricorn)
    Jennifer's father. He dies at the start of the story after being run over by a car. His tragic death deeply affects his wife and daughter.
    A comprehensive and cordial person.

[​IMG]
    Gerald Symons (47 years old / February 9, 1970 / Aquarius)
    Suzanne's father. He's an enigmatic man that seems to be hiding something about his family.
    Should Jennifer trust him? Is he really the good man he claims to be?

[​IMG]
    The man in a black jacket (?? years old / ??? / ???)
    He's the one that kidnaps Suzanne during Jennifer's premonitions.
    Will she be able to stop him at all? What are his motives?
    [​IMG]
    ??? (?? years old / ??? / ???)
    A lovely wife and mother, put by life in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    [​IMG]
    A brilliant and creative girl, victim of a cruel fate.
    [​IMG]
    Optimistic and passionate, most of her advices have helped her daughter to move forward in life.
    [​IMG]
    Fragile person, manipulated by the one she loved the most. Misses her daughter, but constantly fears to hurt her in any way.
    Screenshots from the Demo
    (Expect changes such as graphic improvements during development!)
    [​IMG]
    Title Screen. I'll probably modify it for the full game.
    [​IMG]
    Menu screen. For the full game, I plan on adding more options and making this menu less tedious to access.
    [​IMG]
    Jennifer's first "vision". Could there be a way to avoid this tragic event?
    [​IMG]
    Seven months of guilt and sorrow.
    [​IMG]
    An important decision. The screen blurs and the eyes shake.
    You'll face many of these during the game!
    [​IMG]
    It is a good option to tell the truth? Should Jennifer trust Megan?
    [​IMG]
    Exploring the town and talking with your neighbors can give you useful information.
    [​IMG]
    Exploring the cemetery. Meredith's grave.
    [​IMG]
    What could be happening inside that house?
    [​IMG]
    A rainy, cold night.
    [​IMG]
    The town of Whitefields, main location of Precognition, for the demo version.
    See below for the current version!
    Screenshots from the Full Game
    [​IMG]
    The town of Whitefields, for the final version. New zones were added and a lot of details were improved.
    [​IMG]
    "The Funeral."
    [​IMG]
    "An unexpected horror."
    [​IMG]
    "Distrust."
    [​IMG]
    "Good Times."
    [​IMG]
    "Whitefields Market." (this is still a WIP!)
    [​IMG]
    "Rough Times."
    [​IMG]
    "A failed attempt."
    [​IMG]
    "Mrs. Grace's advice."
    Download Link:
    Click on this link to download the DEMO.
    It should download the most recent version as I may update it if I find any bug, etc.
    https://rpgmaker.net/games/10095/downloads/9681/
    Estimated Length: Approx ~1 and a half hour.
    The game is available in english and spanish.

Update Log:
    January 29th, 2018
    >Fixed bug that caused a "Cannot read properties of null" error to appear after loading a file saved automatically by the game.
    >Fixed a bug that made impossible to get the ENDING A during specific circumstances (if it was raining already).
    >Fixed some minor details, specifically, grammar and graphics that appeared out of nowhere.
    January 28th, 2018
    >Fixed a critical bug that made the game unplayable past the first dream. I'm really, really sorry for the inconvenience.
    January 27th, 2018
    >Fixed a minor bug, included a map of Whitefields in case you get lost.
    January 26th, 2018
    >First Version Available.
    Ending Guide:
    [​IMG]
    The currently available version (demo) contains three endings. Some details about them may change depending on your actions.
    (The requirements for these endings may change in the final release. The following guides do not contain spoilers for the final release).

ENDING A: ???
    [​IMG]
    This ending depends on a single question asked by Jennifer's mother during the night of September 7.
    During the first phone call, if you selected "Go with Megan", the option will be presented as:
    Ask about going to the cemetery. ; Don't ask anything.

If you selected "Stay at home" instead, the option will be presented as:
    Talk about the invitation. ; Don't say anything.
    About this ending:
    Bad ending. Jennifer tries to go to the alley of her premonitions to save the little girl before it's too late, however, Jennifer's mother, Elizabeth, arrives home. Due to their discussion the night before, Elizabeth is in a terrible mood and starts questioning her daughter's weird behavior. Things gets worse quickly, as Elizabeth loses her composure and slaps Jennifer, forcing her to go to her room.
    Out of fear of her mother, Jennifer stays at home: her chance of helping the girl from her visions has been ruined.
    Soon, the local news mention the kidnapping of a little girl from Whitefields.

"Did you watch the news, Jennifer?
    Something weird happened in our neighborhood.

A little girl went missing last night.
    Her whereabouts are unknown.

Jennifer? Why aren't you talking?
    Are you still angry because of yesterday?

What's with the face, Jennifer?

Jennifer?"

[​IMG]
    ENDING B: ???
    [​IMG]
    This ending depends on how Jennifer treats Megan during the two playable days.
    To get this ending, you have to choose the following options:

During the night of September 7:
    Go with Megan. ; Stay at home.

During the scene at the park, the next morning:
    Tell Megan the truth. ; Hide the truth.

During the night of September 8:
    Telling Megan about the latest dream. ; Going immediately to the alley.

About this ending:
    Bad ending. Megan is done with Jennifer: she feels ignored, forgotten, and taken for granted. When Jennifer calls her during the night of September 8, she reacts negatively, and the two girls start to argue over the phone. It starts raining before Megan hangs up.
    Since Jennifer lied to her mother the previous night (avoiding a discussion), she's able to go downtown. However, it is too late already, and the diary that she saw during one of her visions is completely ruined because of the rain.
    The only piece of information about the little girl has been lost, due to Jennifer's bad decisions.

"Her face, I saw it one more time: in a missing poster.

Her name was Suzanne Symons.
    She was one of our neighbors.

I knew it was too late.

There wouldn't be any way to help her.
    Not with all of my mistakes.

I messed up.
    I failed her.

That little girl.
    I'll never know, how would everything be...

If I had done the right thing."

[​IMG]
    ENDING C: ???
    [​IMG]
    This is the "good ending" for the demo version. It is not a real ending, as the full game will continue after this point.
    To get this ending, you just have to avoid getting either Ending A or Ending B requisites, and because of this, this ending has multiple versions, where Megan may be involved or not.

*Blue options will improve Jennifer's friendship with Megan. Red options will anger Megan.

During the night of September 7:
    Go with Megan. ; Stay at home.

If you selected "Go with Megan", the following choice you must make when talking with Jennifer's mother is:
    Ask about going to the cemetery. ; Don't ask anything.
    If you selected "Stay at home" instead, the option will be presented as:

The next morning, during the scene at the cemetery (if you selected "Go with Megan")
    or the scene at the park (if you selected "Stay at home"):

Tell Megan the truth. ; Hide the truth.

During the night of September 8 you must be careful:
    If by this point, you have selected two red options, Jennifer must NOT call Megan, so in that case you must select:
    Telling Megan about the latest dream. ; Going immediately to the alley.

Otherwise, if you have selected one or two blue options, you can select either option and continue.

About this ending:
    Jennifer manages to go downtown, though it is too late to help the little girl from her visions, who is nowhere to be found. She manages to recover a life diary that belongs to the little girl, and decides that she must do whatever is possible to rescue her.
    If you selected two red options, Jennifer will call Megan and will apologize for every time she lied to her. Jenn starts crying and Megan tries to calm her down. Megan decides to go pick her up as the rain gets louder. The call ends, and Jennifer cries, sitting alone on a bench.
    If you selected one red option and one blue option, Megan will text Jennifer, worried about her friend. Jennifer then will call her, and most of the conversation will be similar to the previous case, however, if you selected "Tell Megan the truth", Jennifer will tell Megan about the dream that just came to pass.
    If you selected both blue options, the scene will change drastically. This time, Megan worries about Jennifer's safety and follows her as soon as she sees her leaving her house and going downtown. After catching up with her, they recover the life diary of the little girl, and soon, Jennifer starts getting very anxious about everything that has happened. Megan tries to calm her down, as the rain gets louder. She hugs her, and tells her that everything's gonna be fine.

"Sometimes, when one is hurt...
    ...the best medicine is a big hug.

And hearing the voice of a real friend.

Tomorrow will be a new day.
    Suzanne, I'll see you again.

It's a promise."

[​IMG]
    Planned Features:
    (this page may be expanded during development)
    Improved Scenes:
    Some of the scenes that are already available in the demo (including the prologue and Jennifer's first premonition) will be improved. New choices will appear too.
    Skipping Scenes:
    You'll be able to skip the scenes that you've already seen in the game. That way, you won't have to read the same dialogue or watch the same events multiple times in case you're trying to get all the possible endings.
    Return Points:
    "Precognition" takes place over the course of several days. A "return point" allows you to go back to the start of your current day. This makes it easier to make progress, as you will not have to replay the entire prologue, first scenes, days or most of the game in case you want to achieve an specific ending. You're only allowed to have 1 return point per save file, and it gets overwritten every time you finish a day.
    A more complete Whitefields:
    In the current demo, most buildings are inaccessible. Some locations like Whitefields Supermarket, the Police Station or some of your neighbors' houses will be new additions for the final version, and some of these locations will be important or relevant to the plot.
    Also, the current demo features about fifty NPCs without any role at all except hints and casual dialogue. I expect to increase that number and give NPCs more relevance (read below) to make the town feel less empty.
    Helping people:
    Aside from the main objective of the game, you'll be able to help people from Whitefields.
    The rewards will be new information, new scenes or even collectibles.
    Multiple playable characters:
    Aside from Jennifer, you'll be able to play as Megan or Marcia during certain parts of the game.
    More menu options:
    In the full game, the menu will have more options available:
    • A character menu, that will allow you to read more info. about the main characters.
    • A map menu that shows Whitefields and helps you locate certain points in the town.
    • A sidequest menu that shows the people you've helped during the game, and the info./collectibles you've earned during your playthrough.
    As I've said before, the number of endings will increase considerably, and there will be a great amount of graphical improvements and, hopefully, performance improvements.
    If you have any question or suggestion feel free to comment below.
    If you liked the game, don't forget to leave a comment. I appreciate feedback and suggestions!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Kauzz, Starmage, Plueschkatze and 4 others like this.
  2. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I think this looks amazing, and I will definately give it a go when it's done!

JapoZero likes this.
  3. IAmJakeSauvage

IAmJakeSauvage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really love the look of this! This screams "RTP done right". Can't wait to try the demo.

JapoZero likes this.
  4. JapoZero

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello again!
    It's been like a month and a half since I've uploaded anything related to Precognition (I was really busy with some personal matters during November), so I wanted to update this post with two new screenshots and replacing an outdated one.
    [​IMG]
    (The first premonition)
    [​IMG]
    (Prologue)
    [​IMG]
    (Meredith's grave)
    So...I wanted to show that I'm finally making progress on it again, and, if a miracle happens, a DEMO could be ready before the year ends. If that isn't the case, then during January it should be ready.

Thank for your support, and I hope you like the new screens!
    Soon I'll add more updates ; )

5. Nightblade50

Nightblade50 Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This looks completely amazing!

JapoZero likes this.
  6. Nightblade50

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I want to play this SO SO much!!!

JapoZero likes this.
  7. EpicFILE

EpicFILE Epic Member Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's some seriously decent maps. Awesome lightings!
    Gonna try it out when the demo comes out. :D

JapoZero likes this.
  8. JapoZero

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Quick update! I added some new things to the post:
    -The graphics of the main characters have changed (I remade them because first, I wanted to give the characters the exact look I wanted for them from the start, and second, they were oversaturated with effects, making the expressions look weird).
    For a comparison:
    [​IMG]
    -I added three new screenshots, the last ones that I post before the demo. I don't want to spoil the entire game, lol. The old ones were updated with the new graphics.
    [​IMG]
    (Exploring the town)
    [​IMG]
    (What could be happening inside that house?)
    [​IMG]
    (A rainy night)
    That's all. I hope you like the changes and thanks for your comments as always.
    Reading them just makes me want to release this soon x_X.

EpicFILE likes this.
  9. JapoZero

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi!
    The DEMO version is ready and you can download it now. I added this to the main thread but anyway:
    Download Link:
    Click on this link to download the DEMO.
    It should download the most recent version as I may update it if I find any bug, etc.
    https://rpgmaker.net/games/10095/downloads/9681/
    Estimated Length: No more than one and a half hour.
    Possible Endings: 3
    Remember: if you find any bug, something weird or you don't have any clue of what to do next, notify me!
    I appreciate feedback, comments and suggestions.

Nightblade50 likes this.
  10. Nightblade50

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Awesome! I will certainly play and give some feedback pretty soon.

JapoZero likes this.
  11. IAmJakeSauvage

IAmJakeSauvage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yay! I say this on RMN - I'm excited to try it out!

JapoZero likes this.
  12. Nightblade50

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @JapoZero Oh great. I am stuck. I don't know where to go after you tell Megan something like, "Oh fine, I'll go." I didn't tell my mom about the phone call, and I did not go with her the first time. Could you tell me where to go?

13. JapoZero

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you decided to not go to the cemetery, then...
    Megan will meet you at the park near your house. It's in the neighborhood. She should be sitting in a bench, talk to her and another scene will start.
    Remember to press Q to show the current objective, it may help (I hope).
    Thanks for playing~.

14. Nightblade50

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I went there but did not find her. o_O I did not go to the cemetery.

15. JapoZero

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, this is my fault. It seems that I forgot to add a switch to the english version, so the game won't make Megan appear in neither case.
    I promise I'll have this fixed in a few hours. Sorry about that ;_____;

16. Nightblade50

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Okay, I will wait. Going to bed now, so I won't see it for a while. (Don't know what time it is where you are, but here it is 10:46 P.M.)

17. JapoZero

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Fun fact: it was 2:46AM here when you sent that message.

Ok, so that bug has been fixed (hopefully) and the download link updated. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience.
    For players who had downloaded the game already and don't want to download 99.1MB again for obvious reasons, here is the download link of a bug fix, more specifically MAP005 or Whitefields Neighborhood.
    https://mega.nz/#!A0xw2BKC!PfqafXZVFl9NALv0zTpfNJb1ajUUp15-ATWRPVnUkDM
    The only thing you need to do is the following:
    -If you chose to go to the cemetery, go to the neighborhood, open the menu and save the game. Close the game and replace the old file in the "Precognition/www/data" folder with the new one. After that, Megan should be at the cemetery entrance.
    -If you chose to not go to the cemetery (Stay at home), you just need to replace the old file and then go to the neighborhood park.

If that doesn't work, The only way to fix that would be redownloading the game and copying your entire save folder.
    And that's all > _ > .

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Nightblade50 likes this.
  18. Nightblade50

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Okay. I will download it later today.

JapoZero likes this.
  19. kaiijuu

kaiijuu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh man, I have to play this! I'm so excited for a game. Kind of reminds me of Your Life is Strange (I hate when people compare things to other things, sorry ;___; ) which isn't a bad thing, just makes me even more excited to play it!

20. JapoZero

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks! I hope you like it.
    Dont worry about that, I love Life is Strange, that game was one of my inspirations (I even got afraid that people would think that Jennifer is a clone of Max lol)