WhyIamaPotato

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have my game planned out and I'm starting to make it happen on RPG Maker MV, but there's still one question that is bugging me: what screen resolution would be preferable to make the game in? I thought HD 720 would be tolerable, but now I'm worried that it'd affect the way I do the sprites. (Sprites in RPG Maker MV general sizes, like characters being 32x32 pixels)

What screen size are you comfortable playing with? Should I keep it small, or should I think big with better HD resolutions? If it helps, I plan to mix both pixel art (For the overworld) and drawings (For the battle sprites), so if anyone could give me advice on what resolution would show well the digital drawings, that's be neat!

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN, FR
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Slight correct, characters are 48x48 in MV. 32x32 was in VXA.

There has been countless discussions around the optimal resolution, and answers usually vary between the default 816x624 and 1280x720.

WhyIamaPotato

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for the correction! I'll most likely take the 1280x720 resolution then

DigitalWF

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I too was going with 1280x720
But after reading yanfly comment I might change it to 1104x624
The reason got to do with the stability of your game,and mobile export,and probably optimization

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've found that the 1280x720 works well with a lot of the plugins that affect the battle scene and menu scene, especially ones that add new windows or change windows locations.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My Overworld might be a mix of inspiration from 2D Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, Battlechasers: Nightwar, Super Mario World, and Pillars of Eternity. If I can make it more in-depth than just walking from point A to point B, that might do a lot for the gameplay experience. Hmm...
Terribly depressed. Worst birthday I've had in years, no motivation to work on anything. Still no income. At least I've got my computer running again.
Doing RPG Maker News for 19th September 2021

Stream will be live with some Dark Souls 3, followed by a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kamikun95