Preload Manager

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Galenmereth, Oct 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Allan Bays

Allan Bays Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nothing like that it is doing it on every map with whichever file that particular map happens to try to load first. When I turn off the plugin the game runs fine. I've tried moving it up on the list but no luck there either.

2. Rozel

Rozel Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    On steam, the 1.6 update was recently reverted. You need to use an older version of this plugin if so. It's back to 1.5.2 right now.

3. Allan Bays

Allan Bays Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you! I just needed the older version it's working fine again.

4. belatucadrus

belatucadrus Villager Member

First Language:
    french
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is there any fix for 1.6.1 ? Or I should definitely revert to 1.5.2 ?

5. Demonbane

Demonbane a very cool bear Member

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You need to revert back since Galenmereth haven't updated this plugin for it to work on 1.6.1. Pretty sad coz I can't use the new plugins for 1.6.1 but preloader manager is more important in my game lol.

6. jakr8911

jakr8911 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Is there really no other option?

7. Demonbane

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    unless someone makes a new preload manager for 1.6 or update the existing ones then yes.

8. jakr8911

jakr8911 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Somebody please make a new version, I have a lot of plugins in 1.6.1 I can't just revert back now.

9. LTN Games

LTN Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @jakr8911 You really shouldn't even need a preload manager but if you absolutely need one then I remember seeing a paid preload plugin on itch.io that works with 1.6.1.

10. DK

DK Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can try using the DKTools plugin which has a preload function and works with version 1.6+

cedr777 likes this.
  11. jakr8911

jakr8911 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I love you

12. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm now working on updating this plugin to the latest version of MV, but considering a lot has changed, I'll be doing a full rewrite of many parts of it. I don't know how much time it'll take, but I thought I'd let you know that I'm working on it again.

I know there are alternatives out there now, which is good! I'll still be rewriting this for my own use, as I'll also be integrating it with another upcoming plugin for showing custom loading scenes, with customisable loading indicators, bars, etc :)

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  13. Ringtale Games

Ringtale Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Excited to see what you come up with for this once it's done being updated!

14. Demonbane

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice, take your time no pressure

15. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Some sneak peeks:

New plugin settings:
    Due to the new structure possible in MV 1.5.0 and upwards, the settings can be a lot more user friendly now.

[​IMG]

Cache fetch speed:
    I'm now storing and encoding the cached data in "arraybuffers" for audio and byte64 encoded data for images, resulting in blazing fast RAM load speeds. Compare the first row (disk cache) load speed of 22ms with the bottom row (RAM cache) load speed of 1ms.

[​IMG]

A difference of 21ms might seem insignificant, but that's almost 1.5 frames at 60 fps, so it quickly adds up when you swap into maps and can fetch from memory cache like this. This cache is separate from MV's internal bitmap cache.

I've also found ways to integrate the cache system with MV's core that is far less intrusive, which should make the plugin more compatible with other plugins than before.

Still some work remaining, but good progress has been made so far :uhappy:

16. Demonbane

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Keep up the good work, I'm sure it's gonna be amazing when you finished it. Massive help for game makers

Galenmereth likes this.
  17. TenTranVN

TenTranVN Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnam
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Please support more mobile devices in the future

Eliaquim likes this.
  18. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I’ll do my best, but mobile device deployment can sometimes be really hard to debug if I don’t have the device and OS version on hand myself.

Still, with help from other people’s testing I hope we can solve any issues we encounter.

Donti59, TenTranVN and Eliaquim like this.
  19. Donti59

Donti59 Warper Member

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The previous version was by far the best preloader, I hope the new version will be even better! :D Keep up the good work!

20. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Another progress update. It's going very well now, and I'm very happy with where the code is at the moment.

But that's boring, so here are some new features:

Deployment profiles
    Different platforms might need different settings tweaked for them, but manually changing these each time before deploying your game is not only tedious, it's error prone as well. To solve that I implemented deployment profiles. Take a look:

[​IMG]

Deployment profiles currently allow you to tweak concurrent downloads, as well as image and audio cache sizes per platform, if you so wish. For any environment not specifically defined by you, the "Default" profile will be picked.

There's a list of built-in profiles: Desktop, Mobile Safari (iOS), Android Chrome, and generic Mobile Device detection. Should these not be specific enough, you can create custom profiles that evaluate a script:

[​IMG]

I will provide some helpful shorthand methods to fetch things like url parameters and other useful tidbits easily, but you can of course write any script you want here. This should cover common and advanced deployment profile needs.

As I progress, I may add more options to the environment specific configurations.

Common Event preloading - Parallel Process and Autorun
    Common Events specified in Events on a map will of course be preloaded, but you may also specify that you want to preload Common Events in general -- parallel processing, or all of them -- on map load:

[​IMG]

Battle data
    You may choose to preload battle data -- whether only Encounters configured on the map itself, or also Battle Process events:

[​IMG]

Battle data preloading preloads not only the battlers and music involved, but also the event pages inside the Troop configurations.

You may notice tin the above image that it mentions "direct designation events only); this is because variable designation and random encounter are unpredictable at map start, so it makes no sense to preload these within the context of events, as their value is impossible to determine.

Battle Scenes will of course trigger their own preloading for unique assets when they start; this feature is simply to frontload most of that waiting time to the map load if you want to, so that the majority of encounters load much faster for the player.

Recursive preloading
    Preloading things like events is recursive. Say an event calls a Common Event that calls another Common Event that calls a Battle Process. They'll all get resolved and preloaded.

Oh and in the case your Common Event calls itself -- a very bad idea -- the plugin knows which Common Events it's handled during its preloading process and won't cause an infinite loop to occur ;)

Avoids unnecessary map parsing
    Maps that have had their assets already preloaded will completely skip parsing by the preloader when revisited. Due to a smarter cache solution, the plugin detects if its cache has remained untouched by memory restraints since last time the player visited that map.

While parsing a map for assets to preload is generally very fast, the more events and event pages exist on a map, the longer it'll take to figure out which assets need preloading on that map. But if nothing's been removed from the cache since last time this map was visited, the plugin skips that workload entirely.

Thank you for your encouragement everybody!

AUXturnA, falken14, CoryH and 3 others like this.