Diretooth

Lv. 25 Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I had this idea while writing a story.

What if you reached the max level in a game, had max stats up to 6000 (For reasons) and was given the option to restart at initial level, but with higher base stats?

This concept, based on 'Prestiging' from Call of Duty, would potentially add an interesting mechanic to games, especially if rather than character leveling, it was equipment and spells that leveled.

My thoughts are kind of scrambled right now, for various reasons, so I don't exactly have a solid concept beyond what I wrote before. What are your thoughts to such a mechanic?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Isn't that what's called NewGame+?  And there are scripts for it (not sure about plugins, but maybe there are)

Sato1999

Yangfly Master(Previously)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's very similar to the Reincarnation from the Disgaea Series, if done well it can be really awesome, but it's not going to be good on a non-dungeon-crawler rpg game, or a game thats not focused on grinding and leveling up, lets say, youre at the last dungeon, and you decide to reincarnate, where are you going to level up? How your pre-reicarnation 6000 HP would even compare to you new 61 HP(just an example)? Unless you also implemented a random dungeon that could be used as an item, so you could level up and grind anywhere. Luckily for you, this can be symple done using CP or Kaimonkey dungeon generators and a few variables. Also tanks for this post, you just gae me an awesome idea for my game! BD

Last edited by a moderator:

Isaac The Red

RedMage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
With a traditional RPG it would be difficult to do well, but with gear and the like based around the mechanic, and something like Yanfly's enemy levels plugin to allow for scaling enemies based on the level of the party, this could potentially be a fun mechanic for a more battle heavy rpg. :3

Dr. Delibird

Also known as HRforges
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It is certainly possible with the right use of plugins (I am pretty sure there or more than one new game+ plugins that can fill the role) as well as eventing.

Whether or not you should though is up to you. In general, if a player can play through the game again like this (or in a simillar fashion) it means that there is enough variance in the core gameplay design or there are enough viable, but drastically different, strategies the player can mess around with. Basically if most (read: all) final fantasy games had something like this, it would be just a tacked on mechanic just so they can say "look! We have this mechanic!". 

I feel like Bravely Default just barely made the new game+ worth it but only to people looking for challenge runs of some sort (since the game has enough customisation in the options to drastically change the way the game is played) but that is better than it being tacked on and feeling like it doesn't have any real purpose.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've always had problems with equipment being able to "Prestige"... IE, reset stats for base stat increase.  It usually leads to me using the base weapons far longer than the Dev thought I should, and only picking up a new piece of equipment if it's stats far outstrip the thing I've prestiged like 20 times for a +50 in every single stat.

As for doing it to characters...  My problem with that has always been, "why bother?  I could destroy everything in the game at half of these stat levels, why do I want to increase them even further for extra work?"

That's kind of just the nature of RPGs.  Most of the time, even if your max level is 100, you can beat the game at something around level 30-40.  There's no reason to go any higher.  Equipment tends to have that same problem.  "Why should I invest time and resources into something I'm going to ditch in 20 minutes for a better quality item?" or "Why should I ever buy new equipment when I can just upgrade this starting equipment up to infinity?".  You then sometimes run into the problem of "I really don't want to grind for levels and resources just to make this useful" as well as "I don't even have to level this thing up at all to be able to destroy all the battles in the game, so why would I bother?".

Now, if there were limits to how many times you could do this and it was tied to some kind of player agency, where stat choices mattered or when they did the prestige it mattered, it could be doable.  Especially if it was a mechanic you used heavily in the game and turned it into a part of the gameplay instead of a tacked on "just in case" mechanic.  For example:  If your max stats were say... 100 and you got that easily at level 10, but to get them higher, you had to "prestige" and reset those stats back to Base Stat Level 1 + Small Bonus and then allowed the max stats to be 120 with an ability to get to Level 15 now.  If you also tied hitting each goal post of "max level" to something cool like a spell or piece of equipment, it would give further incentive for players to prestige constantly.  You could perhaps do something similar with equipment.  Maybe a sword can only go to level 3 before needing to prestige.  So, you get to level 1 by getting 50 kills, then 100 kills for level 2, then 150 kills for level 3... then you have to prestige.  But, maybe the prestige gives an option on which stats you'd like to improve... or if you want to give it a special ability/mechanic (like say turn it into a Fire Sword... or put Poison on it).  Better equipment might then instead offer better abilities/mechanics than the stuff you start with, or maybe bigger bumps to base stats upon prestige.

I dunno, I guess if I were to implement a prestige mechanic in a game, I'd want the player using it a lot.  I'd want it as part of core gameplay and then find ways to make it exciting for the player to use it.  I'd want the player looking forward to hitting max level and resetting their stats, even if that hurts them for the short-term gameplay.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think Dragon Quest IX did something sort of like this. In that when you reclassed to a different class, your stats would be the stats of a level whatever you were in that class before. Which if it was a new class that was 1.

BUT, all the stat gains you got from spent skill points, and all the abilities you learned form spent skill points, remained. So your best option for super high stats was to level a lot of different classes to max out their class specific skill, as it gave all the stat boosts.

You could also reset a class back to level 1 in the post game, which was useful for gaining the last I think 300 or so skill points you needed to max every skilltree (and also made better grotto maps drop).

MAIR

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This certainly isn't a bad idea, but it seems kind of overkill. As @Tai_MT mentioned, why bother getting stats even higher when you just melt everything anyway? The only exception I can think of is if you had bosses that almost certainly require resetting your stats, secret or otherwise.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Nearing completion of the first major city of Albert, a vacation getaway city built a long time ago by a king who really didn't want to be invaded.
It’s definitely a great day to fit in some time for me to play no mans sky on PS4
Julyon.png

First concept art of one of our main characters love interests who might turn evil depending on her decisions. Or become king of the world. Or marry her. Maybe even everything at once.
Me: *saved the game*
Also me: *exit the game afterward*
The game: "Any unsaved progress will be lost"
Me: "uh,.. alright?"
[I feel a bit sad I did this]
"WhY?...WhY dId YoU KiLl ThEm AlL?...yOu BlOoDy HeLl MoNsTeR...I'LL MAKE YOU PAY!!! FOR THE BLOOD OF THE LOST!!!" ~Scars final words before his final battle [not final boss]

Battle Theme: Blood of the Lost
Face Sprite
Forgotten Eclipse_Scar Dead+Final Battle with him.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelotepalote