RMVXA Princess' Quest and the Royal Secret

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by dnel57, Feb 23, 2017.

1. dnel57

dnel57 dnel57 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    New World Map done.jpg

New updated version is done. Many changes.
    Random encounters
    now on four of the islands and some new troops added,
    Mapping has been gone over and corrections made.
    Punctuation has been done over.
    There is one new Boss in the game.
    Towns have been somewhat condensed and made smaller.
    Castle inside and outside has been reduced in size.
    Face graphic errors have been fixed.
    On screen maps have been enlarged.
    Passability issues have been solved.
    Forest has been redone and made more attractive and
    easier to navigate, although, it is still a maze- like map.
    Man-Eating Plants no longer continuously spam sleep!

I want to thank all who have tried my game and invite
    them to give it another try.
    I also want to thank players for their comments and input.
    I did listen!

A special thanks to Sawworm and Soul for
    renewing my enthusiasm toward my game and game making in general.
    As always comments,reviews,ratings welcome.
    Thanks to sawworm for his great script!
    And credit to Thalzon for his battlers.

Latest Game Link: 03/13/2018
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/5enw851102mwu8x/Princess'_Quest_and_the_Royal_Secret_v03.exe

Princess' Quest and the Royal Secret is an RPG about Princess Arle who has become concerned about her brother,Prince Elwin.
    He was sent on a mission by his father, King Morlund, and was expected to return in only a few days.
    It has been nearly two weeks since he left.
    Princess Arle will go to any lengths to find her brother and will not be deterred by anything or anyone, including her father.

This is my first game for this site. It was meant to be a learning game to learn about different mechanics of the game and apply what I've learned.

This is a turn based,save anywhere RPG.
    Controls:
    Up
    -UP
    Down-Down
    Left-Left
    Right-Right
    Action-Enter
    Cancel or Menu- Esc or the Letter x
    Highest Level is 20
    About 5-5 1/2 Hours gameplay.
    Lots of loot to find.
    The game was made in a manner so that level building(or grinding as it is so fondly called) should not be necessary.
    This game was made with VXAce.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Soul and Guiguimu like this.
  2. dnel57

dnel57 dnel57 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Comments are welcome about this game.
    Good or bad.
    It's how game makers learn what and what not to do.
    I hope you will find enjoyment playing this.
    Thanks dnel57

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  3. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thoughts
    i did not enjoy this since i play RPGs more for story and characters and this was a classic RPG with pointless battles and a generic story.
    while this could certainly be improved in a few areas generally speaking this is a okay game.

Random
    maps are pointlessly big and empty.

you can leave without talking to your father

grammar and dialog needs improvement.

random transfer points.

good job making the town unavailable until it was time to go there

the town maps are a nice addition. (tho in this game it's kind of pointless)

the princess has access to a unnecessary amount of skills

mapping mistake on world map (around sanderville)

how did she even see sanderville? there were mountains blocking it.

some items in shop do not have a icon

i'm not fond of stat upgrade items that are sold.

you can go to the final castle before the volcano (which also is a problem because you don't have the new character for the scene)

4. dnel57

dnel57 dnel57 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The spot outside the castle is an error.
    I will correct and replace the download.
    Thanks for telling me about it.
    The box you can walk through is intentional.
    Thanks for trying my game and for your assessment.
    I will certainly absorb your input.

5. c4n0n_in_D

c4n0n_in_D Villager Member

First Language:
    indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello, why I can't play this game?
    I already download your file, but when I click the game icon, it says "RPGVXace RTP is required to run this game"..

6. dnel57

dnel57 dnel57 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  7. Soul

Soul Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Figured I'd let you know, I'm giving this game a play-through. I'll have a detailed review once I've completed it. Should be able to finish it up tomorrow after I finish some things after work. I will recommend that you take a peak at the sample maps Ace has to offer. The maps are needlessly large, as shayoko mentioned. And I suggest that for now, you go along the sides of the ocean in the world map to allow the autotiles to properly set themselves. I've taken a screenshot and encircled one of the portions I've seen thus far that could use fixing, map-wise.

I do really enjoy how the castles courtyard is, aside from the wooden fence in the front. Just wanted to mention that. But it could be smaller and more direct. Large areas, or places with nothing really to them just waste time to be honest.

Attached Files:

8. c4n0n_in_D

c4n0n_in_D Villager Member

First Language:
    indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  9. dnel57

dnel57 dnel57 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thank you,Soul, for your comments.I agree about some areas being too big.
    I'm still learning and paying close attention to players' inputs.
    Thank you for giving it a try.

10. Soul

Soul Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thus far, I've enjoyed your game. Your towns and the castle are all that I'd say are too big. The dungeons are fine the size that they are. Seeing little variation in troop-size, and enemies, is a bit disappointing - but for a first try at making a game, I like this project. Here's what I've got so far:

Rolph: aside from seeing a bit of your world map, there isn't really a reason to go get Rolph. Introducing him to your player by joining him in a battle with a monster would make it worth walk all that way to him. And I'd transfer the player back to the throne room after to save the player some time as well.

Character Movement: I think know what you were trying to do with your NPC's that walk around. Instead of using "Frequency", the other option above it will make them move more fluidly instead of all clunky.

Message Text: Was there a reason most of the messages you made were set up as they were? Where it's about five to seven worrds, per line. Because you didn't do that for the kid with the blue-hair in the first town - it looks much better the way his text is displayed.

Comma: you should put a space after using this. It makes it easier to read, and is meant to be written this way. It's a grammar thing.

Sign-Events: something I like to do, is set the graphic of an event placed on big signs like the one in Belden. By adding the "Interior B" and/or "Interior C" tiles to the exterior, you can set the graphic to be paper. It'll let someone know there is something to read there. Just need to remember to set its layer to "Same as Characters".

Hidden Objects: you should let the player know to look for these, if you have them and don't use something to indicate where they are. If you'd like to indicate where they are, have either an NPC list off objects they may have found something under/behind (such as a table or tapestry). Alternatively, you can set the graphic of the event to one of the "twinkling" effects found in the "Flame" characterset.

Smoke: you can place it ontop of the chimney tile. It'll look as if it really is coming out of it then.

Map of Belden: this is a cool idea, but you should set it to be a key-item. You can even make it a common event, and configure it to be larger on the screen, so the player can really look it over. I can show you how if this interests you.

Forest Maze: you should probably use some of the tree's. Either the ones found in "Exterior B", or from the tile list on the first page. And you can also use some of the other tiles in "B" to give a hint to the player as to the right direction. One of the commercial Maker games does this very well, it's called "Labyronia".

Location of Belden: since you aren't having there be random encounters in the world map of your game, you may want to place this town nearer to the dungeon and the castle.

Elixir: please add to its description that it is used on the whole party. I had a mini heart attack when I had Rolph selecting it, as I needed to heal Arle badly. Or don't. Felt awesome to see it heal both. xD

Boulder puzzle: sometimes, controls of the game engine can be sensitive. I'd recommend setting the boulders to "Action Button".

Guided Puzzle: you should probably increase the movement speed of the player for this one. Just have it revert back to normal at the end of the move sequence.

Hard fight: did you make it so you would 100% paralyze the goyle if you used the spell? If so, nice! Died a bunch until I said "Screw it" and tried it. Worked every time. Wondering if I was just lucky or you changed Arle's skill for that fight via eventing/damage-formula. Beat him at level 7 after selling gear to buy different gear.

All-mighty switch!: after the fight, the switch won't let you activate it as you leave for the tunnel again. Did I miss something in the dialogue? I thought that once the monster was beaten, this would work.

Boat builder: his message boxes alternate between faces. c.c

Seville Underground: I must have walked right past this. Currently exploring it.

I'd have posted sooner, but I've been busy with my own project and running errands IRL.

EDIT: I just beat it a lil bit ago. Here are the rest of my thoughts on it!

Underground Seville: good size for this small dungeon.

Leaving for the boat: maybe just have Rolph and Arle suggest saying goodbye to some of the people, rather than making it mandatory. Forcing players to do stuff when they just wanna play the game can be annoying - letting them know they have options, however, will usually interest them in doing it themselves.

Morris NPC in the building left of the scarecrow: another face-shifter! :o

Volcano: after hitting the last switch, you probably should just put down another way back to the room. The grindy battles are a bit too much otherwise.

Nevermind on the Belden move: didn't realize there was an inn inside the castle. With a smaller map, and condensing your courtyard and the immediate area outside the castle (or turning the courtyard into that) it'll be a huge improvement.

Ogres: you should make them immune to being paralyzed. I steamrolled through them.

Werewolves: was a bit more challenging, but I was able to keep them debuffed most of the time. The stun from Shout wasn't too bad either.

Phyldric: waaaaaay to easy. Sure, he can hit hard - but I debuffed his attack twice in a row, and just kept prolonging it by using the debuff every 4 turns. And if he could use spells, he never had the chance. I was Silencing him with the Aura Blade.

Oh, the Lamia! Almost forgot: by the time the player goes fight her, they can beat her easily. She should either have a lil more defense, or quite a bit more HP. One of the two, or a bit of both. The Confusion Song made her more challenging with how much damage she did by attacking. I also kept her Silenced - if she did anything else, I never saw it.

With bosses, typically making them immune to conventional states (Silence, Paralysis, Stun, etc) is normally assumed by the player. With the goyle, I'd say just turn one of the Skills into something that Stuns - make the monster immune to paralysis, but give the player a better fighting chance with the change (if implemented).

All said and done, I really did enjoy this. It was a simple game and straight to the point. I managed to beat it in around four hours and twenty-ish minutes. There's a lot of room for improvement. There weren't any spelling mistakes, but the flow of your sentences in messages could use touching up. There were mapping errors all over like the one I pointed out before. In Seville, there should be a stone path that you can use by the sand-tile at the top of that exterior. Looks a lot better than how you have it right now. If you want it to be more of a square, then use the stone with the transparent background (near the fences) on top of it. Either option will look better aesthetically.

You can also use events to be on top or below a tile. In the big-bads' castle, on the right of the first floor, you have two stacks of boxes. You can set an event to be "Same as Characters" with the rest of the right of the box-stack as its graphic. Since the passability of the top portion of the stack is set to "Above Player" (Star passability in the tile editor), it will appear above the event. It will also work the other way around. Another spot you could use this in would be when trying to get to Seville, the hidden path. You can set the transfer events graphic to be stairs, and put a stack of boxes in front of it so the player won't be confused until they walk beneath.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  11. ElieTaping

ElieTaping Zzz... Sleep Sleep Sleep~ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well that's a huge map, better make them smaller 'cause some may think that the map/overworld map is to huge to venture and might add some little details or stuffs like barrels or any thing related to the place 'cause it's too empty in my eyes. No offense I just want too help :D

12. dnel57

dnel57 dnel57 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Soul,
    Very informative comments.
    I can see some extensive mapping studies are in order.Warp transfers are a great idea to save time if there are no world map encounters.Maps are agreeably too big.I checked the switch in Sanderville tower.I didn't activate the self switch B. I played through so many times and I'm confused about that,but will fix.There is a lot to absorb here.Thank you for all the tips and advice.
    Would like to know how to make larger "show" maps.
    I didn't address all comments, but, will certainly heed them all.
    Would definitely like to see your project when done.
    Thanks, again.

13. Soul

Soul Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You're welcome bud.

Anyway, here's how to make it larger:
    Items can activate "Common Events". Right click under "Effects" and you will find the option under the third tab. You can put the event command into the Common Event, to show the picture. Within the "Show Picture" event, you can adjust the size of the pictures' width and height where the percents are, on the right side. After the "Show" event, set up a "Show Choices". You really just need one box to be filled, so you can have the first one read "Done" or "Put map away", and then have "Erase Picture" set up for when this option is selected. Just set the options for "When Cancel" to Choice 1.

This will work for your world map too. It's easier to keep track of this way, and you can do even more with your maps as you get more familiar with using events.

My thing might not be fully done for several months. But there is a working demo, at least.