Priorities when starting a project. (poll)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Soul Tech, Jan 10, 2018.

?

Where would you prefer to start?

Poll closed Feb 10, 2018.
  1. Database

14 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Narrative

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. Eventing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mapping

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  5. Sound & Music

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Graphic Design

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. Game Design Document (GDD)

14 vote(s)
    38.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Soul Tech

Soul Tech Time Traveler Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Over time and after abandoning several projects I was doubtful about which are the priorities that users take into account when starting a new project. When I talk about priorities, I refer to the importance that they give to each of the development phases that an RMK project has, such as the mapping part, events, narrative, database, etc. I understand that many users like to jump from one point to another and some focus more on some than others, either because they have the ability to design graphics or they are good at "scheduling" events, I would like them to give their vote to have a estimate or opinion of which aspect they prioritize over the rest or if they have a specific development pattern.

P.D
    I know that professionals start by designing a game document (gdd) with all but most of the content of the project already in advance. I also know that many consider it tedious and prefer to go on the go.
    Personal advice and experiences are accepted in the field of carrying out a project.

Thanks for reading.

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Story and characters. They kind of develop at the same time.

Your poll doesn't allow multiple selections.

3. Soul Tech

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sorry Shaz, already edited.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is Story the same as Narrative? Characters isn't in the list :(

It might be better to just not worry about a poll and let people comment.

Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  5. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I guess narrative is the same as character and/or story. I mean, when you're making character, you are making a narrative. How they look, the personality, and such. It's packed in one from character / plot / world building.

Also, I didn't see system design, so I assume it's GDD. But GDD (usually) contains various of the game concept including the character whereas I usually start from the system alone without a real context of the narration. After the idea done, I continue it with database

6. Sauteed_Onion

Sauteed_Onion Mmm Tasty Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like @Shaz 's idea about maybe letting people comment, but I voted Narrative and Mapping. I have not really made a video game before, but I had a general idea floating around in my head, and started tossing a map together. Then started adding stuff to it, and the ideas just started forming in my mind. I know this only works for so long, and I should kind of put some basic at the least Game Design Document together, at least covering the absolute basic plot framework maybe.

Between a few users here, and my own desire to experiment with art, I am hobbling together a little bit of assets to use on this project, already exceeding what I thought was possible just by me lonesome meow. Surprisingly there was a couple of RTP songs I liked so much that I can use one or maybe even two. They just "fit" to me. And I'm not looking to sell this game for money, so I can always see how the world responds to it/change it later/ etc.

I built a screen worth of the city I'm working with just straight up RPT tiles. I want to try the parallax mapping technique even on it and see how that turns out. I might make the full game or full city and back it up and then try doing the parallax stuff then let people test them out and see which they preferred or whether I need to redesign from the basic tiles on up.

7. EpicFILE

EpicFILE Epic Member Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I start with the core game mechanic.
    Once the basic idea is established, I can work on the basic narrative and decide the overall feel of the game.
    The priorities become flexible from here onwards.

I can create or search for fitting assets, doing some experiments within the editor, or something else. :D

8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  9. HumanNinjaToo

HumanNinjaToo The Cheerful Pessimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I chose mapping. I would've said story/narrative, except then when I'm working on my own project, things in the story begin to change as I flesh the world out within the mapping of the environments. The overall story stays the same, but I like allowing the artistry of mapping to shape the narrative somewhat.

10. Requiem

Requiem Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For lack of a better terms the narrative and the GDD.

It cuts down time by quite a bit if I know where I'm going.

Parallax Panda likes this.
  11. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would start with the story. That's the plot and characters. You want to know where your project is going before you begin working on it, otherwise it may end up being a mess. I would have some sort of story plan sorted out, included in that are the locations in the game and where point A leads to point B. Then work on some aspects of the database such as classes, items and actor skills.

Have in mind what would balance well with enemy skills too. After that you can variety it a little but if it was me the next step would be some mapping and some events, take it at a good pace where you can test the game and make sure everything is flowing well.

If you plan to use custom resources such as graphics and music now would be a good time to pick some and add them into the project. Overall everything should come together no matter what route you take as long as you have a strong foundation, that is a plan.

This is all my own opinion though, some people prefer to make up the story as they go along but with RPG Maker I think you do need *some* sort of plan ahead.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  12. HumanNinjaToo

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm wondering, for those who've said they want to work on the story/narrative part first, who defined are the plans before you get started in the maker program?

For example, in my previous post I said that mapping is first, then story. But when I start mapping, I've already got a story/narrative in my head. I do not have it written down anywhere, usually. I allow the story to change, sometimes, as I'm going along with the project. Also, I've never completed a project either, so...

So again, how much of the story do you folks have worked out "on paper" before you begin work in the program?

13. Sauteed_Onion

Sauteed_Onion Mmm Tasty Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I didn't have really anything on paper when I started putting the map down for the game I started. But I get ideas, that coagulate, and sometimes I hammer them out in my head. When I get to where I am afraid I'll forget anything I go to a note pad type thing and may vaguely write something down. Haven't gotten that far yet, I think I started stupidly by getting what may be the largest 'city' so far out of the way. If I put a demo out, I will probably have some generic reason why you are there, just to give people an idea of the flavor of game I'm working on. While I'm using RTP assets to map, I'm kinda just deciding on whether I want to experiment with parallax mapping or using it all as place holders. This is my "putting maps to paper". I haven't made so much that I'd be beside myself if I lost it all, but I'm nearing that point where I want to consider outside storage elements, and secondary hard drives.

I've seen enough "i lost it all" stuff since I joined recently that made me know that that is a real thing, and I am not Johnny Bullet Dodger and special. If I want to get serious, I need to know that backing up and investing in external storage mediums is as real a part of the core of development as anything else is. This is actually a really interesting thread, on levels not possibly intended to be. I'm glad it's on my 'watched threads' list. Meow.

HumanNinjaToo likes this.
  14. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm a story first person, but I don't think that my method will suit everyone. Before starting in the editor I know my beginning and I know my ending. I will have a few plot points between them, but that will be very few. I will not have a detailed plot, let alone loads of dialogue already worked out.

I will know who my opening characters will be, certainly the first 2, maybe the first 3. I will have worked out their dominant personality traits, and what their general backstory is (but probably a bit hazy on a lot of the details). From that I will work out what sort of class and skills would fit that type of person.

Other aspects of planning will also then happen, but you're specifically asking only about story, so I'll stick with that. I am a highly intuitive writer, that is just a feature of who I am. What I do will not suit everyone, possibily not even a majority of people. But with the minimalist amount of story that I've outlined, I start and write it as I go along. I find that my characters grow and develop through the interaction between them, and that it is in the very act of writing that they take shape the most, particularly the various sub-plots of the story. The story will develop perhaps in ways that surprise me, but because I am also a very good writer (other peoples' opinion, not just my own) I can keep it in shape, without plot holes.

This is not an approach I would recommend to many people. This is not how most people produce their best work, but it happens to be the only way I can work. I have to see what 'emerges' from the very act of making the game.

Harrumi, Matseb2611, bgillisp and 3 others like this.
  15. HumanNinjaToo

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kes This makes sense to me. I feel better about a story, at least one coming from me, that evolves as it goes on. I view it similar to when actors add their own spice in when doing a scene. Sometimes they add dialogue or nuances that were not inherent in the script, and sometimes this results in an excellent on-screen performance.

I am, however, inclined to put more of my ideas on paper as I go along, so as not to get lost in the story and inadvertently create plot holes.

EDIT: I'm also curious if any of you story first guys follow anything similar to Joseph Campbell's monomyth/Wheel of Life. I heard about it while watching a Netflix show about heroes and myths. They did a short comparison of Star Wars to the monomyth that was pretty neat.

For those who don't know, it's a twelve step process:
    1. Status quo - how the world is
    2. Hero's calling
    3. Assistance - friends/mentor
    4. Trials
    5. Approach
    6. Crisis point
    7. Treasure/gift
    8. Result
    9. Return
    10. Resurrection - after hero defeated in some way
    11. Resolution
    12. New status quo - the world changed after hero's journey

Here is a link to wiki page about it.

It's pretty interesting concept. I can see how many fantasy/hero stories have used something similar, if not the same. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Harrumi and Soul Tech like this.
  16. Soul Tech

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So the narrative goes to the head, I suspected that it would happen, the good thing is that recently I had begun to think that having a partially or totally written story one already has the basis to begin to translate it into the program. I Listened/ readed about the hero of the thousand faces as mentioned in the previous post. It is reflected in hundreds of games, especially rpgs and I consider it very interesting as a plan to follow.

Harrumi and HumanNinjaToo like this.
  17. Harrumi

Harrumi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I guess what I've been doing is mapping out an area, then I kinda imagine the story around the land. It's been an interesting process.

It helps that when ever I do tinker with the game engine, and storytelling that I have about 2-3 gamers sitting in the room who kinda offer input.

HumanNinjaToo, that's an awesome 12 step program. Thank you for sharing. :)

HumanNinjaToo and Soul Tech like this.
  18. SunStunBros

SunStunBros Just a weeaboo Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Man, I wish I had that kind of support XD. But that makes me wonder if anyone on this website uses an voice chat programs (discord, skype etc) to talk to others about ideas and, well everything else. Would I be the only one interested? >.>
    Probs.

19. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I use discord to get feedback, but I never use voice chat. Just text chat sometimes is enough