gondracorn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Enlish
Ok, so, I studied the tutorials, and everything, but no matter what I try, the program does not want to place the tiles on top of each other correctly.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

Place the Building on top of the tree

Place the Building on top of the player

Place the player on top of the Pathway.

Problem 1.PNG

Problem 2.PNG

Problem 3.PNG

Priority A.PNG

Priority B.PNG

Priority C.PNG

I got some images of my problem

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For your interior, I don't see ANY priorities set on the walls. You don't normally do this anyway - a character would take one step into a doorway (turning THROUGH on beforehand), then transfer to the next map, then turn THROUGH off. They wouldn't actually be able to walk that far up the wall/door.

For the exterior with the trees, you need two versions of the upper parts of your trees, since you both want to be able to walk behind them AND above them. In the second version, don't put any priority on the tiles, and use those tiles for the parts of the trees under the walkway.

OR if your building/walkway tiles take up the whole tile and don't have any transparency, just remove the tree sprites from those tiles on the lower layer. That's an easier way to do it, but it does require that the tiles on the higher layer dont have any transparency.

gondracorn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Enlish
thanks. I didn't think about that before. :)

gondracorn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Enlish
Also, how come half of the sprite always seems to be sticking out?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
gondracorn, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Use your Edit button and change your last post, instead of double posting.

And half of "what" sprite is sticking out?

Those building tiles have a priority of 0. Those parts of the trees have a higher priority. So they're going to be displayed in front of something with a lower priority that's on the same tile.

Last edited by a moderator:

gondracorn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Enlish
And half of "what" sprite is sticking out?
What I mean is this:

Problem 4.PNG

Priority D.PNG

My question is... how am I supposed to order the priorities???

You see, Some buildings overlap 2 or 3 of the pathway, while others overlap only 1

Other buildings overlap buildings, as well. But buildings never overlap two pathways, because that would require a 4th layer in XP.

So, if priority 1 causes only the upper part of the tile to overlap, leaving the bottom part exposed, what does priority 2, 3, 4, and 5 do?

Alternatively, if Priority 1 starts at the bottom and then priority 2 is next, then priority 3, priority 4, last, priority 5... is this method correct then?

Say that the building covers 2 and a half part of the pathway (in squares). This would require you to make priority 1 on the building where the bottom part of the pathway would be, and then a priority 2 on each row of the building where the middle part of the pathway would be, and then a priority 3 on the building where the top part of the pathway would be.

Now say the building covers all parts of the pathway (total: 3 tiles) and then 2 parts of the next building above it. The same rule would apply for this situation, except, you would have to make a priority 4 in the case that any of the character may enter a door in the building above.

This prevents the character from having it's head sticking out (the character covers 2 squares, I believe).

Also, how would I go about making sure the character cannot go through the building being underlapped when all the squares of the overlapping building have been O'ed? (making sure that the character can't barge through the building).

For example, even though the character cannot pass through the underlapped building normally due to the X's on the building, it seems the higher priority takes effect and makes the building on top allow the character to pass through normally. Now I cant tell where I normally would place any of the buildings in other towns... I already exceeded 50000px hieght for my tileset (it works, but barely), and I don't think I can add any more tiles for other towns, unless I make an individual town tileset, which may take hours to redo the X's and O's.

If that's the only way to do it, then I guess I will do it.

Thanks for your help. You are a blessing.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you have something with a higher priority on a lower layer, and something with a lower priority on a higher layer which the player can't walk through, AND that tile fully covers the 32x32 tile, just don't PUT the higher priority tile on the layer below. It doesn't need to be there, as the player will (SHOULD) never see it anyway.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I typically ask this on my normal social media channels, but figured there may be good replies here. Anyone got any good horror movie recommendations? I've seen a lot, but I always love getting suggestions! Bonus points if you know which service it is streaming on (in the US) - bring on the spOoooOky!
 After a few distractions (and my annual rough second week of October), I’m getting back on track with my OMGC project.
 Am I overcomplicating it? Yes. Am I going to tone it down? Almost certainly not.
 At least the dialogue stuff is almost done. I need to do the map itself, and then all that’s left is combat.
 Getting there!
Creating 3D CGs for Cutscenes. :kaosalute:

I keep wanting to post every song I make for the game and have to hold back on that because at this rate, I'll have spoiled all the really good stuff lol..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SwagTorchic