Problem with layers and the transparent tile.

cchmaster

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Now I've used 3 layers:

Layer 1 is the bottom ground.
Layer 2 is some highlands, which are walls and the top platforms.
Layer 3 is decoration, which are flowers, logs, and etc.

My problem is, when I was on layer 3, I misplaced some logs, so I used the transparent tile(from A5) to erase it. However, after that, those tiles couldn't be passed through anymore.

To experiment, I tried to flood fill my map with the transparent tile on layer 3. Now I couldn't walk at all, no matter where my character is, even on the bottom ground.

So, I changed the transparent tile to be passable and flood filled layer 3. Now the whole map can be walked through, even walls.

Can anyone please help me how to solve the problem? How can I delete the "transparent tile"?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
basically you used the wrong tile to erase - you should have used the very first B tile for this.

and the reason is that the erase tile should always have the star passability, because in reality there is no "erase" at all.

each tile is coded by a number, and each map position is the equivalent of a variable to hold one number each layer. You never erase anything, you only fill the position with a different number of a tile to be used there.
and the star passability is the only one that says "ignore me for passability, look at the other tiles to determine passability". every other tile WILL set a passabilty or impassability for the place where you use it - even if the tile itself is invisible.

EDIT:
and another advice - don't get your mind fixed on what to use layers for. Sometimes that is superseeded by what the map needs, like two decorations above a wall - you never need a ground if a tile is completely covered by a wall.

cchmaster

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Andar WOW! Thank you so much, friend. You've just saved my world. I don't know what I was thinking. How come I tried so many things, but didn't give the B transparent tile a try.

Really thank you, and for the advice, too. I'm new to RM. Listening to experience from veterans is great. Thank you again! :D

Latest Profile Posts

I wish I can work faster on my game. But I don't want to get burned out. :(
I've been working on something on and off for a few years now, and I've been reluctant to share any details on the project before I had anything playable because I did not want to generate hype only for the project to go back on hiatus. That being said I believe what I'm working on is very unique and pushes the boundaries of what RPG Maker projects can be. Bold claims, I know but just wait.
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms :)
Create Anime Art w/ AI, Tall Sprites with Aurora, Customize Variable Display | RPG Maker News #34

[My favorite slow moving track I've made so far]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Edda