myVar[4] = 10; // works
myVar.push(10); // works
myVar = [1, 8]; // fails
};
testFunc(test);
})();
console.log('test:');
console.log(test);

As you can see, assigning a new array to the variable that was passed by reference will not work correctly. Javascript works so weird. Changing the "passed by reference variable" works. But assigning a new type to it (which should also be passable by reference) does not...

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
That's to be expected. "myVar" is a pointer, that references the given variable. You can access that variable directly via the pointer, but on your last line, you assign a different value to "myVar", so it doesn't point to the given variable, anymore.

I suggest you to read a bit about how passing by reference (and value) works. Also note, that primitive variables (like numbers and, i think, strings) are passed by value. This is called "pass by reference by value" or "call by sharing": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaluation_strategy#Call_by_sharing

SilverDash

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So it's a call-by-sharing. Not a call-by-reference.

Yeah I know about primitive types being passed by value. Though, I read that strings are also passed by reference (which is weird but okay).

Normally (C++, C#, etc.) when I change the value of a pass-by-reference-variable, it will change where-ever it is pointing to. Not the address itself (unless you use the & operator). But in Javascript it's called pass-by-sharing and for some epic reason it does not support assignments...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A part of me wants to return back to the beginning and first two chapters and remake them with parallax map. But I have decided not to. Every chapter is just another step in the journey. No need to walk back unless I have to revise dialouge.
Hey guys! Good news!
I just released the Games from Brazil - Part 2 on my Youtube Channel! I am really happy that part 1 had 100 views and I hope more people will be interested to see the potencial of Brazilian Game Devs!
Effervesce Fallacy™ - Attract Mode (proto)
Almost to the finish line!... or the starting... since it's just the demo. :kaomad2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WDRS