\\problem with resizing custom tilesets [◘GIMP 2.0]

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by SlackerYo, Oct 19, 2019.

1. SlackerYo

SlackerYo Villager Member

First Language:
    GER/ENG
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    hello there!

so ... i recently started fiddling around with custom tilesets to have some more variation and fill those gaps :p ...
    watched a couple of tutorials, downloaded some sets and also got those with classical rpg maker measures running (vx to mv, etc.) - but some just wont work for me ...

is there any method other than playing around with the scaling and position until it works?
    what im mostly trying to accomplish is patchworking parts of different sets together ... so using a naked template, then scaling parts of differently scaled tileset.png's and mashing them together was my plan ^^

also i couldnt figure how to make the squared background pattern go invisible so far, in case they stay visible when using tiles in the rpgm software :o

im using rpgm mv and gimp2.0 for the editing ... added some screenshots of tilesets giving me a hard time ...

ps: im also looking for a nice community site where i can find some shared custom data ressources ... best trimmed for rpgmaker of course ^^

thanks for ur time!! enjoy the weekend! :D

Slacker, Yo!

ts_sh_4.png - 512x512
    ts_ships1.png - 1383x1124
    ts_shipshit1.png - 384x256

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  2. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

There are a lot of threads here with different methods to resize tiles. If the search bar isn’t finding what you need, google it with RPG Maker MV in front. For example “RPG Maker MV resize tiles”.

3. SlackerYo

First Language:
    GER/ENG
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    sry for mispost and thx for moving ^^

well i already tried that a lot and pretty much only found resizing from platform whatever to rpg maker mv so always fixed to certain measures ...
    most stuff i got wont follow these measures ... when i try resizing it to any of the common rpgm tileset scales it messes up :( ill search the forum for now

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SlackerYo
    I think what you don't understand is that there are six different, specific formats for tilesheets. That format is more than just a number of pixels - it includes specific positioning of what type of tiles goes where.
    For example a tilesheet formatted for A2 can ONLY go into the A2 slot, nowhere else. And each slot of the tileset absolutely requires a tilesheet formatted for exactly that slot.

The structure for tilesheets for Ace and for MV is the same - that is why you can resize Ace Tilesheets to MV and back.

If a picture of tiles does not follow the structure of a tilesheet, then there is no way to resize it that way.
    Your first step would have to be to position those tiles into a grid of a format - and not mixing up autotiles while doing this.

of the pictures you attached, only one even resembles a tilesheet - the first looks like a parallax resource and the second is a spritesheet, not a tilesheet.

I strongly suggest you take one of the existing tilesheets and use that as a guideline to replace some tiles with tiles from your pictures.
    And since there are no autotiles in your examples you'll have to use a tilesheet formatted for B-E as the guideline because A# tilesheets are for autotiles, not for regular tiles.

5. SlackerYo

First Language:
    GER/ENG
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    thx a lot mate for ending my sorrow! xD
    ofc i knew they were no typical tilesets but didnt think any further :p

so bout the tileset formats ... could u maybe tell me which px scaling accords to which type?

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is only the conversion between Ace and MV, earlier makers had different definitions and can't be scaled.
    MV (base 48 pixel grid) is 150% of Ace (base 32 pixel grid)