Problem with sprite resizing

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by karinthefox, Apr 13, 2019.

1. karinthefox

karinthefox Warper Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello everyone! I've recently finished making some sprites for my game on MV and noticed that they were a tad small compared to the map. So I resized them with photoshop using the nearest neighbor option and all that jazz. The problem is that when I resize the image to 200%... the sprites get too big. I tried resizing the sheet to 150% but this deforms the sprites. Does anyone one know of a way to resize them just a bit and keep the quality?

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 12.22.14 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 1.00.30 AM.png

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think this is probably better over in Resource Support, as that is more about creating/editing resources.

Moving to Resource Support

3. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It is impossible to resize to a non-multiple size and not lose some quality. That's just the rule of math. However, some resizing algorithm are better than others for some tasks. You could always try to supersample it to a multiple size (meaning no real loss, but it will look blurry at that resolution), like 400%-800%, then resize to your wanted resolution. The yield is usually better when you take a big picture and you resize it into something smaller.

Calluses and Hyouryuu-Na like this.
  4. Calluses

Calluses Bee Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  5. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Is it meant to be pixel art? If so, you're just going to have to go in and manually clean it up. It's the unfortunate reality of the medium. If not, go ahead and use a different scaling algorithm, nearest neighbor is really only best for pixel art.