Saneterre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hello everyone. I have problems with Celianna's products terms of use.
On her site, many packs say that they are "usable on any game engine". (Ancient dungeon pack for example).
However, when I do buy them and look at the readme file inside the folder, it says that the pack can only be used to make rpg maker games.
Legally it seems very problematic. What is legally binding here ? The page of the product, at the time you purchase it (which seems logical since that's when you pay) or the terms of use file inside the folder you get ?

I've made games with rpg maker but I want to use celianna's graphics in aother game engine right now

Thanks a lot everyone

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Where did you buy them from?
Did you buy them from her site or from here?

If from here, then yes you can only use these in rpg maker games. If you bought it from her site, I suggest you contact Celianna.

Saneterre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
That may be the problem. I think I bought them from steam, not from her site (at least not all the packs).
I bought the jungle pack directly from her site, and this one doesn't mention rpg maker.
So yeah, that's probably it, thanks for your answer slimmeiske (and for translating all those sites too)

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I would suggest going by the readme inside the actual pack, or the text on that specific product's page, as the best indication of Celianna's wishes. Those should probably override general terms of use on a ToU page on her website.

However, if you're unsure, or if the readme and the text on that specific product's page conflict, you should definitely contact @Celianna directly!

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To add on to comments above, a general rule of thumb is to follow the terms that come with any given product. Even in other markets, terms may vary for different audiences/clientele.

Saneterre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I was not talking about general terms. The terms on her site were for the individual pages of the products. But my mistake was probably due to the fact that at the end of the day, I bought them on steam, and since steam references the packs with a tag "rpg maker", there must be a change in the terms of service when you buy them there.
As for contacting Celianna, unfortunately she hasn't answered my emails yet, that's why I took the liberty of posting here.
I want to thank you for your answers, everyone, it helps me clarify all this.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you misunderstood my reply but I'm glad the others helped. Good luck on your current project! :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Many packs have been sold with different licences for different prices.
At one time about ten years ago or so even Degica had a shop category of "non-RM-Licences" where about half the products that were sold for RM-only where available for non RM for +50% of the price or so

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My terms on my website are indeed different. Purchase directly from me and you get a much broader license than the one you get by purchasing from Degica (RPG Maker Web/Steam). So yes, the license you got means you can only use it in RPG Maker engines.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm in desperate need of environment sprites and tilesets for my game. If anyone is interested please DM me im willing to pay.
All badges and prizes for the Let's Make a Scene Heart Edition event SHOULD be out. If you participated and haven't received either or both, send me a PM.
I've played Dragon's Dogma recently. Now I know the feel when you play RPG but without fast travel or vehicle to roam around.
Nerine wrote on Eliaquim's profile.
I have an issue with your window skin plugin. After using plugin command to change window skin, it doesn't change the skin for message boxes and choice boxes until a player opens inventory.
Can anyone provide a link to where Vlue said that his Plugins for MV were free for commercial usage? I only see it on the thread here, but Vlue didn't directly start it. What do guys think about it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armexploit