Problem with "transfer player" events (moving from map to map)

pixel_hannah

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there! I'm new to RPG Maker and I've been having a problem with allowing the player to move from one map to the other.
I'm making a side scroller, and I want the player to be able to walk to the end of one map, and go straight to the other map (so it's like walking into the next room). I've been using "transfer player" events, and I have tried both touch and action button activated events, and both are having this problem.

Okay, so here's my problem: Walking into the next room (map) is totally fine, but when you try to walk back into the previous room (the map that you just came from), the parallax map image is a weird combination of images from other maps.

I've been using parallax mapping and yanfly's Bind Picture To Map plugin so that I can make the game out of entirely my own artwork. When the map gets all messed up, it's usually with the wrong below_tilemap image and a combination of several above_characters images from other maps.

If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it!!! Thank you so much.

Also, if anyone needs me to clarify anything or add screenshots to show you what I mean, I can do that too.

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think I do know what the issue is, but can you post screenshots of it just so I can be sure? Show us what it looks like in game, and if you put any tiles on the maps as well.

pixel_hannah

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, so here is a screenshot of my map so you can see the event tiles on the ends:

rpgmakermapscreenshot.PNG

And here's what it looks like in-game:

ingamescreenshot.PNG

then you walk to the end of the room, which looks like this:

ingamescreenshot2.PNG

Then it takes you to the next room using a "transfer player" event, and the next room looks like this:

ingamescreenshot3.PNG

But here's the problem: When you try to walk back into that first room, you get this jumbled mess!

ingamescreenshot4.PNG

As you can see, the background is for the room we just came out of, not the room we want to be going into. Also, the above_characters table and couch are both there on top of eachother, when really we just need the table.

I hope this helps!!

LadyBaskerville

Hell-poodle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Check your events - it looks like you never erase or replace the pictures.

In RPG Maker, all images stay on the screen until you erase them or show a new picture on the same picture id. Without seeing your events, I assume you only show new pictures on higher ids in the second room? That would mean that after entering the second room for the first time, there are four pictures on the screen in total: Two background images, where the one with the higher id is drawn over the other, and two images above the player. If you walk further to the right on the second map, you should also see the table there.

The solution would be to either
- erase all images when you leave a room or
- make sure you always use the same picture ids for background and overlay images, respectively (that will replace the old images, because there can never be multiple picture of the same id on the screen) or
- switch to a different plugin that does this automatically for you. I can't recommend any, though, because I don't use parallax mapping myself.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can you give us the sizes of your parallax pictures as well as the game screen size and the map size?
It might be that something is off there

pixel_hannah

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just erased all images whenever you leave a room and it fixed the problem!! Thank you guys so much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

People1.png & SF_People1.png added!!!!

Adventurer:
"Why your body looks like a bird?"

Stranger:
"Because I'm harpy"

Adventurer:
"Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof"

*Both dancing to Pharrell Williams song*
Stream will be live shortly with a make-up session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Pootscooter wrote on Pharonix's profile.
Hey @Pharonix, just wondering what you're up to lately and if you've had an opportunity to check out the LTBS thread in the past few days...(a couple of us could really use your expertise). Hope you are well and Happy Thanksgiving!
Anyone know the best size image to put in signature?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodeUltima