Problems Compressing Game Data (Possible RTP Problem)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Tninja1337, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Tninja1337

Tninja1337 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello fellow Game Makers!

I'm in the final phase of creating my game, and trying to send it to a friend so he can play it. Unfortunately, we got an error on Script line 106 as soon as some custom materials came up. The problem is that when I compress game data, it is not including anything I have imported from Game Character Hub.

I've noticed that in the Resource Manager, it says that these Faces and Characters are Project Materials, indicated by a red circle, while the ones that carry over are shared materials in the RTP files, indicated by a blue circle.

How can I change them to RTP files, or get them to come along when compressing game data? I have tried adding them in manually to the game folder, however that did not fix the issue. Picture of the resource manager included.

Resource Manager.PNG

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Reinstall Ace - your program is damaged.

The project files even have priority over the RTP files (which means if the same filename exists in both RTP and the project, the project version gets used), so if they are not included the problem is much more deeper than that.

And I can think of only two possibilities here:
    1) Ace Editor is damaged
    2) the project is stored in a folder that is restricted in access - try to move it into user data if it is not.

Tninja1337 likes this.
  3. Tninja1337

Tninja1337 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks for your input. I tried reinstalling Ace and the effect was the same. The Faces and Characters still do not transfer during game compression.
    As far as I can tell, the data isn't in a restricted folder. Could you provide more clarification on moving it to user data?

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Move it by windows copy&paste - and you can give us the filepath if you're unsure if the folder where the project currently is stored has special functions or not.
    Which exact version of Ace do you have? There might be a few problems based on the version and where you purchased it.

Tninja1337 likes this.
  5. Tninja1337

Tninja1337 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I moved it by copying and pasting it, and then opening it from the new location and compressing the game data from there. However, compressing game data still did not bring along the files.

Here is the old file path.
    C:\Users\Name\Documents\RPGVXAce\Broken Ties
    Here is the new file path.
    F:\Game Backup\Broken Ties 7 24\Broken Ties

I bought VX Ace off of Steam, and while I can't find the version number, I am up to date Steam-wise, especially since I just re-downloaded the software.

I have found a temporary fix that will allow my friend to play it.
    I can export the files in the in-software resource manager to the location the Compressed Data has gone to (after extracting it), and the game plays just fine.
    However, I have to do this one at a time and it is tedious, as well as I feel it is not a true solution.

It appears the game is only transferring the rtp when I hit compress game data. Would there be a safe way to add these files into the rtp and try compressing it then?

6. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, because of the way the RTP is set up, it's universal to every single game. The way you would put it in would be to copy your files into one of the RTP folders in your files (outside of the engine). For me, it was found in:
    Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RPGVXAce\rtp
    Then you can just choose a folder from there. But, if you use that method, then it would be there for every single game you make in the future, unless you delete the extra files when you make a new game.

Tninja1337 likes this.
  7. Tninja1337

Tninja1337 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Alright, thank you!