Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Good day, everyone! I have just made the jump into trying to do sprite behaviors. I have already learned a lot in the last few days, particularly from Bonkers Behavior Tutorial, (link below if anyone wants to see that) but it covers a basic column change for one sprite graphic and other basics. If he made an advanced tutorial I can't seem to find it anywhere. I am using Avery's Mimic character graphic which takes up a full eight sprite sheet to use. After a lot of tedious work, I got it set up and the timing is nearly on point. My problem is that when the graphic's switch they blink out of existence for a brief period during transition, or jump between frames because the previous column frame does not match the top of the next graphic for fluid flow. I've posted images of what I have set up and would greatly appreciate some help! I am uncertain what to do or where I have gone wrong. I'm hoping to figure this out, because I want to do other complex behaviors down the line, including a working orrey (giant mechanical device that tracks the solar systems movements).

The problematic Mimic--
MimicHelp1.PNGMimicHelp2.PNGMimicHelp3.PNGMimicHelp4.PNGMimicHelp5.PNGMimicHelp6.PNGMimicHelp7.PNGMimicHelp8.PNG

Avery's Mimic:

Bonkers Behavior Tutorial:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What is the spritesheet you're using? It's probably that.

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh, Shaz! Thank you for replying! I initially did my own but Avery went and made a full charsheet for the mimic. I have the link to said sprite in the above post. Given that it is Avery's, I do not believe I can repost it here.

glaphen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you need an preload plugin like
or the many other ones.

Also that mimic needs specific character patterns selected, with yanfly move route core

Code:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

PATTERN LOCK: x
PATTERN UNLOCK
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
For some reason, RPG Maker MV does not allow you to set the currently used
pattern (sprite frame) within the Move Route editor. This command will allow
you to do so. If Pattern Lock is used, the sprite will remain locked in that
pattern position until unlocked.
Replace x an integar value.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Example: Pattern Lock: 0
         Pattern Lock: 2
         Pattern Unlock

So you would start that image at top left then pattern lock 0, down left right up, pattern lock 1 down left right up, pattern 2 down left right up, change to next character index, repeat, you can do that or you can manually split the image itself which I think you did.

Last edited:

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@glaphen -Oh! When I get the chance I'll test the plugin and see if that solves my blinking problem. Thank you for directing me to that plugin. I had no idea that kind of plugin was a thing.

If Galv's image cache solves the blinking in and out problem, that leaves the wrong image in place before correcting---

Nvm. @Shaz you were correct in identifying that the problem was with the sprite sheet. I tracked down a second forum discussing larger sprite behaviors on Xehryn.

multi2.png

This is the way larger behavior sprites are suppose to be formatted. I have it set up wrong where behavior 5-8 is reversed and so on. When I get the chance I'll correct the problems and try the plugin and report back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Making it a rule that I don't do any world building for my new game before the actual gameplay is concrete and working. I have 16 years of lore to work with anyway.
Cheesy power metal makes everything better. No matter what you do, you'll feel heroic doing it.
Starting to really like the first of my madness areas. I think the eyes looking at them really helps to sell the place. :LZSexcite:
Made idle animation for character. It first had only three frames but looked too different from walking animation and I had to draw five more.
MV and VX Ace both have good qualities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadAtticGames