mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've noticed a few things that I either can't figure out how to do properly or can't get to work right.

1) How do you get a character to be tinted before entering the scene? I want a character to be in shadows at first, but if I put the "tint character" command before they enter, it doesn't do anything. If I do it after, the character isn't tinted at first, no matter how much I change the settings (both wait and continue produce similar results because the character is set to move into the scene from the left and never gets tinted until after that happens).

2) I can't seem to figure out how to add pictures or hot spots to an image map. They don't show up. I can add them to a background or picture, but if it's an image map, it doesn't work.

3) Related to the last one, when I add hotspots with pictures, the images are always the size of the image and not the size of the hotspot. Is there any way to get around this or do I need to just upload smaller images?

AccolourChris

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would definitely use a Plugin to get these results than to attempt to do it from within the game engine itself. Plugins will allow you to get a massive amount of those features without the extra struggle.

I would suggest Yanfly's Message Core or something similar to get these results.

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would definitely use a Plugin to get these results than to attempt to do it from within the game engine itself. Plugins will allow you to get a massive amount of those features without the extra struggle.

I would suggest Yanfly's Message Core or something similar to get these results.
I think you are mistaken: this is the Visual Novel Maker part of the forum. Yanfly doesn't make plugins for VN Maker as far as I can tell. At any rate, these things that I'm trying to do should not be complicated. They should be fairly simple things. I feel like I'm just missing something in how to get them to work.

KenKrath

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm not too familiar with the VN Maker but from what you're saying with the picture size I would think simply reducing the size of the pic and uploading the resized pic in your project will work(?).

It's something I typically have to do when adding pics to my VX ACE project and there is some trial and error that goes into getting it right. I can say that when I use the Maker's "resizer" the pics usually come out distorted and it's more difficult to place the pics correctly.

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not too familiar with the VN Maker but from what you're saying with the picture size I would think simply reducing the size of the pic and uploading the resized pic in your project will work(?).

It's something I typically have to do when adding pics to my VX ACE project and there is some trial and error that goes into getting it right. I can say that when I use the Maker's "resizer" the pics usually come out distorted and it's more difficult to place the pics correctly.
There's work-arounds for everything I asked about, but they're more complicated than what I was hoping was just me missing some vital thing I needed to do to get VN Maker to work "properly." For instance, resizing pics in Gimp is very easy, but it means I need to upload three sets of every item in the game since every inventory item is displayed in three different sizes - the size it is on screen when found, the size it is in the inventory slot and the size it is when examined in the inventory slot. So if the program could resize according to the hotspot size, that would be infinitely better than me saving three different versions of every item in the game and then uploading them.

Besides that, I really need to know how the image map thing works because I have a feeling I'm going to need to make extensive use of it. If I can't get things to show up properly now, it doesn't bode well for what I'm trying to do (a cross between a point-and-click adventure and a first-person dungeon crawler, with visual novel aspects of course). So I'm kinda hoping someone who knows VN will come along and explain, like, layer order, Z order, etc.

Ilovepapayas

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
german
You could make an additional expression with your charakter. Tint your character image in photoshop or gimp and import it as expression into VNM. So when the character joins the scene, you could take the "shadow" expression as default. And when he or she or it steps out of the shadow, you simply could change the expression to the not-tinted-image.

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's probably how I'll do that.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
This is the End of the Endurance,everyone are celebrating the end of their Endurance

I just wondering what Menu for Tomorrow
Two years into developing my game and I just scrolled through the BaseResource Pack that comes with MV for the first time xD I never knew how much awesome stuff was in there. Also so many names I know from the forum, like Shaz & Archeia ... and that's not the only resource pack I found in the depth of my hard drive :0 Right now I'm both confused and hyped about all the stuff I own.
Decided to start watching Naruto; and not only is it a genuinely good series, but it's also very inspiring.
I just wish Funimation got its act together and fix the missing dubbed episodes.
Decided to work on my game a little bit, made this Motel looking building. I am still on temporary hiatus though as getting Therapy is more difficult than I thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drackro023