Problems with KHAS Message System's script

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by Robert Trent, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Robert Trent

Robert Trent Level Designer Member

First Language:
    English/Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello everyone.
    I am currently using the KHAS Message System in my game project.
    Although the script is really visually pleasing, I am experiencing some limitations/problems with it that are definitely hindering me:
    - The script changes the font and font size of ALL messages with text, not just focusing on NPC messages (so change the font and its size for everything, inventory, battle system etc).
    - The second problem is that it does not allow the use of special characters as NPCs' names when the characters speak (I often use '***' as I try to be vague considering that the NPCs conversations are all linked through a common event).

Since scripting is not my forte I ask here in the forum hoping that someone is willing to fix the problems or any suggestions about it.
    The script can be found on this link: https://arcthunder.blogspot.com/p/khas-message-system.html

Thank you very much for your attention!

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to RGSSx Script Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. Robert Trent

First Language:
    English/Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you very much and sorry for the problem, I thought it was the most relatable section to that issue.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's close. The one it was in (RGSS3 Scripts) is for scripts you have written and wish to release. Hopefully now that it has a proper home someone who knows more on it can help.

Robert Trent likes this.
  5. Wyrelade

Wyrelade Wyrelade - The one and only. Veteran

First Language:
    Finland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Which special characters you are trying to use on your names? I am currently pretty handy when it comes to the Khas message system (as he doesn't keep RPG maker vx ace scipts updated / supported anymore). let me try to edit the font actually since I really haven't had to do anything with that section of the code. ill edit this post if I find something interesting.

Edit: First of all, are you using custom font for the script? if yes, there is a possibility the font does not support certain special letters. look in to that first.

Edit2: Okay yeah apparently Khas message system globally changes the font size (Changes Font.default_size) i think I can work out an edit for the script so it only affects message class.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Robert Trent likes this.
  6. Robert Trent

First Language:
    English/Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    First of all thank you very much for your help!
    Yeah I noticed he doesn't support RPGMaker scripts anymore, the script already changes the default font to 'Arial' (and its size as well) so it's kinda unhandy.

I am trying to use the star characters (*), so they are not supported at all and the script ignores the name if it contains that kind of special character.
    Yeah it definitely change the font and its size, is it possibile to actually make the script change the font and its size for just the message classes insted of just the font size?

Kiitos!

7. Wyrelade

First Language:
    Finland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]

This worked for me atleast, Did not do deep testing tho so let me know if anything comes up.

Line 166

# Message Font size by wyrelade
    Font_Message_Size = 24

edit this font size to make it your "default" for messages, you can still change the global font size in the config too with the other font size setting.

8. Robert Trent

First Language:
    English/Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks a million for your help, I'm gonna check it out the outcome!
    I actually got another "issue" that you highlighted on your screen, when the player has to decide something the engine uses the 'Window' in the system folder to display the choices.
    Is it possible to use the same window style used in the message for the choices as well?
    It would make the outcome more visually coherent.
    What do you think?

9. Wyrelade

First Language:
    Finland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I was actually thinking that my self for my game. That would mean changing the Window_ChoiceList completely and use the style khas used to make those speech bubbles appear.

That is not an easy task and would take more time but if you can make a completely customizable message system with the square style boxes, why not also the choicelist :p

I might do this someday but but not "right now" :S

Most of that script already is about the "def draw_balloon" which is about drawing the speech bubble / speech balloon.

I could use this as a template for drawing the choice list some day.

10. Robert Trent

First Language:
    English/Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Actually it's easier than it seems, I found out the answer myself.
    We just need to change the 'Window' style in the System folder and the engine should do the rest.
    I'll work it on photoshop later and I'll see if the result is decent enough then I'll post here and send you the Window file. :cutesmile:

I'm testing the script at the moment, I'll let you know if there's any bug or problem! :thumbsup-left:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  11. Wyrelade

First Language:
    Finland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ah well yeah I mean you can make a new window skin, but that will not look exactly like the pixel drawn stright edge one.

but that will also change your shop / menu / any other window skin to that one.

I will make a custom chosing window for my game eventually so no need to send the window skin :p

12. Robert Trent

First Language:
    English/Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  13. Wyrelade

First Language:
    Finland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That's neat :p Hope it works out for you. how the font size stuff ended up being? does it work or is there issues?

14. Robert Trent

First Language:
    English/Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Glad to know that you like it, if you want the graphic file don't hesitate to ask!
    I am testing the script, and I actually got the same problem.
    I use different scripts that got specific fonts and font size (main menu, menu, item description, battle damage fonts etc) and the khas message system is still messing up with them.
    Is it possible to use the message, font and fontsize function ONLY for npc messages in a way that I don't need to set a global font for the rest of my scripts?
    Thanks a lot again for your help!

15. Wyrelade

First Language:
    Finland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

Try changing the script order. Have the main menu font / size script on top of Khas message system in the list or other way around.

It actually matters which order you have the scripts in.

I dont have this issue since am using main menu with images as buttons etc.

And if you want only that the font changes on npcs no.

In that case you just have to use the " \} " command in the message to change the font smaller. you can edit the default font size reduction in the script since the current default is 8. That makes the text super small imo (or big if u make it 8 bigger.)

I dont neccessarely know why you would make NPC dialogues smaller/bigger compared to player character anyways. Just make regular NPC not have name box and have the player character have their own. this way people who play your game will still realize who actually is talking and if its an important person or no.

16. Robert Trent

First Language:
    English/Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I tried to change the order and it doesn't really make any difference...
    I am actually not too fussed about having the default font used for the messages instead of a global font forced by this script and applied to ALL the texts.

I had the same idea about npc without a name box... but guess what? The sound text noise doesn't happen.
    This script is visually brilliant but it definitely needs some updates.

17. Wyrelade

First Language:
    Finland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I could work out an 3rd option for sound. "NPC voice" which would use something like npc.wav for the sound effect, and have it play only if actor has not been determined on the message box.

basically if actor is used = set to true
    if not false.

if actor_used != true
    Audio.se_play("Audio/se/#{@voice}"
    else
    Audio.se_play("Audio/se/npc"
    end

this is "almost" basically just stuffing another boolean in the code. not hard. I can do it tomorrow.

Robert Trent likes this.
  18. Robert Trent

First Language:
    English/Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That would be beyond awesome if you could sort this out somehow. :cutesmile:
    I'm not fond of scripting but it looks like a sort of conditional branch.

Thank you very much for your help, I'm looking forward for the update!

19. Wyrelade

First Language:
    Finland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I actually tried to do it quickly just now, but for some reason this spaghetty code breaks if I try to add anything true, false etc to the sound playing part of script. weird.

Ill see what I can come up with.

Robert Trent likes this.
  20. Robert Trent

First Language:
    English/Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks a million for all your efforts, hopefully it's not gonna be difficult at all.
    I Wish I could actually help but my scripting skills are almost non-existent. :distrust: